Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
12-22-2020, 04:08 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(12-22-2020 10:47 AM)jarkid Wrote:  Could you explain what's the difference between longer blanking pixels and shorter blanking pixesl, for example, LCD standard and LCD reduced?

Does a longer blanking(280 pixels) have a different visual effect on a monitor compared to a shorter blanking(88 pixels)?
There should be no visible difference. Blanking is how long to wait between each line (horizontal blanking) and each frame (vertical blanking). This was mainly intended to give CRT monitors time to move the electron gun. Now it's mainly to give monitors enough time to process the signal. Your monitor is supposed to support FreeSync, which basically changes the vertical blanking on the fly, so it should be able to handle a wide range of vertical blanking times. If the monitor can't even handle the standard vertical blanking that it defined in the EDID, then the monitor is faulty.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2020, 04:40 PM
(12-22-2020 04:08 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-22-2020 10:47 AM)jarkid Wrote:  Could you explain what's the difference between longer blanking pixels and shorter blanking pixesl, for example, LCD standard and LCD reduced?

Does a longer blanking(280 pixels) have a different visual effect on a monitor compared to a shorter blanking(88 pixels)?
There should be no visible difference. Blanking is how long to wait between each line (horizontal blanking) and each frame (vertical blanking). This was mainly intended to give CRT monitors time to move the electron gun. Now it's mainly to give monitors enough time to process the signal. Your monitor is supposed to support FreeSync, which basically changes the vertical blanking on the fly, so it should be able to handle a wide range of vertical blanking times. If the monitor can't even handle the standard vertical blanking that it defined in the EDID, then the monitor is faulty.

But what has confused me is that in some games, it's very fine. but in other games, it's not okay. Don't know why. Why shouldn't it be always abnormal for every game, but only for a specific game? Any clues?
12-22-2020, 09:33 PM
(12-22-2020 04:40 PM)jarkid Wrote:  But what has confused me is that in some games, it's very fine. but in other games, it's not okay. Don't know why. Why shouldn't it be always abnormal for every game, but only for a specific game? Any clues?
If the monitor doesn't handle FreeSync correctly, then the problem might depend on the frame rate of the game.
12-22-2020, 11:37 PM
hey,

is there anyway to force overdrive in CRU to reduce response time?

i have an LGD05D8 - oced from 60Hz without FreeSync to 99.524Hz (229.99MHz Pixelclock) with FreeSync 30-99Hz (111kHz + 230MHz max pixelclock)

it is much better than stock - but i would like some tweaked response times Wink
12-23-2020, 01:14 AM
(12-22-2020 11:37 PM)Benman2785 Wrote:  is there anyway to force overdrive in CRU to reduce response time?
No.
12-23-2020, 04:03 AM
(12-22-2020 02:44 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Yes, I mean the firmware in the monitor could be faulty and making it produce a bad signal that's causing NVIDIA's driver to crash, which would also be a bug in NVIDIA's driver. If it also happens with HDMI, then I would suspect a hardware problem.

That's a list of monitors, not settings. The drop-down list is to choose which monitor entry to edit, not which settings to apply. Use the copy and paste buttons at the top to copy everything over to the active entry.

The settings shouldn't reset on their own. If you see a new active entry but the old one is still there, that means the driver is detecting the monitor as a different monitor, which isn't normal.

Thanks ToastyX Robbie I will proceed with trial HDMI cable and monitor firmware.
I do not know what to make of the (CRU?) driver detecting a new monitor.

I hope solution is monitor firmware, there is also chatter of nvidia addressing this issue but with 10xx series GPU's not 3070. But if it happens on HDMI and monitor firmware does not fix I may be trying to source another expensive GPU.

I have sent you $10 tip via Paypal from Matthew Pool. I appreciate the free software and assistance with my troubleshooting.
12-24-2020, 11:50 AM
(12-22-2020 09:33 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-22-2020 04:40 PM)jarkid Wrote:  But what has confused me is that in some games, it's very fine. but in other games, it's not okay. Don't know why. Why shouldn't it be always abnormal for every game, but only for a specific game? Any clues?
If the monitor doesn't handle FreeSync correctly, then the problem might depend on the frame rate of the game.

ToastyX, Thank you for your kindly help...

1. According to your experience, do you know which blanking setting most manufacturers use? LCD standard or LCD native for 144hz or other RR higher than 60hz?

2. You explained that there's no visual effect between different blanking settings. But the blanking for LCD is the waiting time. If I have a longer blanking, doesn't that mean my screen need more time to response, so that I'd have a lower refresh rate?

p.s. if my monitor is faulty, then I have to buy another one...
12-25-2020, 12:53 AM
I've been using Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre as a workaround to get 5.1 sound from my Nvidia card to my LG TV (optical out to a receiver)
Today I used CRU to attempt to enable 5.1 output via LPCM. This didn't work unfortunately, so I set LPCM sound back to 2.0 vs 5.1 in CRU and rebooted. Now, even after reinstalling Nvidia drivers, deleting monitor and rebooting, reinstalling Dolby Access, I am still unable to output 5.1 sound through Dolby Atmos as I had been previously. It only detects 2 channels.
How can I completely undo everything that CRU may have altered?
I have already used reset-all.exe in safe mode.

Thanks!
12-25-2020, 03:01 AM
(12-25-2020 12:53 AM)afxwinter Wrote:  I've been using Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre as a workaround to get 5.1 sound from my Nvidia card to my LG TV (optical out to a receiver)
Today I used CRU to attempt to enable 5.1 output via LPCM. This didn't work unfortunately, so I set LPCM sound back to 2.0 vs 5.1 in CRU and rebooted. Now, even after reinstalling Nvidia drivers, deleting monitor and rebooting, reinstalling Dolby Access, I am still unable to output 5.1 sound through Dolby Atmos as I had been previously. It only detects 2 channels.
How can I completely undo everything that CRU may have altered?
I have already used reset-all.exe in safe mode.
CRU only creates EDID overrides. Running reset-all.exe removes all EDID overrides and resets the Windows display settings. If there's no * next to the "(active)" status, then there is no EDID override installed. CRU doesn't change any audio settings. It only describes what the monitor can do.
12-25-2020, 03:02 AM
(12-24-2020 11:50 AM)jarkid Wrote:  1. According to your experience, do you know which blanking setting most manufacturers use? LCD standard or LCD native for 144hz or other RR higher than 60hz?

2. You explained that there's no visual effect between different blanking settings. But the blanking for LCD is the waiting time. If I have a longer blanking, doesn't that mean my screen need more time to response, so that I'd have a lower refresh rate?
1. That depends. Monitors usually use the CVT-RB standard, which is what "LCD standard" uses except for TV resolutions. One exception is 1920x1080 @ 144 Hz monitors, which use non-standard timing parameters to fit within HDMI and dual-link DVI bandwidth. "LCD native" is non-standard, but it happens to match the CEA/CTA standard for 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz, which is what TVs use. The next version of CRU will have separate timing options for TVs.

2. No, the pixel clock is also increased, so the visible (non-blanking) part actually refreshes slightly faster with a longer blanking. The refresh rate remains the same.