Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-13-2021, 10:31 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
I would like to post here first to thank ToastyX, every once in a while Custom Resolution Utility saves the day fixing something.

Second I want to post here because I have yet to read about this particular scenario and fix anywhere else online and this might help a few others.

I'm the owner of a LG OLED B9 but the same applies to LG OLED C9.
The B9 and C9 uses two IC for it to be able to support hdmi 2.1. Because of that it supports the full 48 gb/s bandwidth of HDMI 2.1.

This means 4K @ 120Hz RGB Full Range Gsync/Freesync HDR/Dolby Vision at 12 bits.

LG from CX model forward and as far as I know all other tv manufactures that claim hdmi 2.1 support support HDMI 2.1 at a max of 40 gb/s.

This means 4K @ 120Hz RGB Full Range Gsync/Freesync HDR/Dolby Vision at 10 bits.

I bought a 30 meter long Vention fiber optics cable from China that claims 4k@120 hz support but could not get this to work at all from my RTX 3080 TI GPU.
So, to my luck Custom Resolution Utility is still being updated to this day and has hdmi 2.1 EDID management support. It can read the hdmi 2.1 data block.

Those fiber optics cable have an IC that needs to "encode" and "decode" the signal so it can be sent as light trought the cable.
This improves on how far it can be extended but at the same time you need to upgrade the cable so it supports a larger bandwidth.

Knowing all that, what I did here to be able to use this fiber optics cable with my RTX graphics cards is to change under HDMI 2.1 support under the Extension Block, change maximum FRL from 48 gbps (12 x 4 lanes) to 40 gbps (10 x 4 lanes) and it works.
I can enjoy 4k @ 120 hz rgb gsync at 10 bits.

It's not just dropping from 12 bits to 10 bits on Nvidia Control Panel that would have solved this. It needs to change how the image is sent.
I could not get 4k @ 62 hz before, it max out at HDMI 2.0 18 gbps bandwidth. Even with custom resolution and reduced timings 4k @ 61 hz would not work.

So, I'll post this here and in another forum to help whoever else has this problem.

And by the way, this isn't a problem using this cable with Xbox Series S/X or Playstation 5 because those 2 consoles support only up to 40 gbps the same as LG OLED C1 G1 CX and GX.

Once again, thank you ToastyX without CRU I would be screwed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2021, 11:24 AM
Dolby Digital over GPU-HDMI

could someplease please give me an Instruction how to get that to work?
ive found an Instruction on the web, but dont get it work.

I imported the "hdmi2-bitstream.dat" to CRU but dont know exacly what to do next.
tried editing a few things, but didnt get Dolby to show up for my Device.

I just want Dolby Digital / Live for gaming.

Thank YouSmile
10-17-2021, 12:57 AM
Hello,

Is it possible to force a "pixel format" setting (eg. RGB/YCbCr 4:4:4/4:2:0) for AMD GPUs, such as with a registry edit or EDID tweak?

My problem is that I cannot get my R9 380 to output 1080p YCbCr 4:4:4 over HDMI to my TV -- I'm only getting 4:2:2 even though I've selected YCbCr 4:4:4 in AMD's Radeon Software.

I am 100% certain it is not my TV's fault, as I have a set top box which outputs 1080p YCbCr 4:4:4 over HDMI and have confirmed it with Rtings test pattern on red/blue 1px lines.

I am 100% certain the GPU is capable of outputting 1080p YCbCr 4:4:4, as I have it outputting to my PC monitor right now and the test pattern is good.

I have also tried RGB 4:4:4 in Radeon Software -- still fails the test pattern on my TV.

So I think the AMD driver has a bug where it doesn't play nice with my TV and keeps insisting on downconverting it to 4:2:2. Maybe it thinks my TV isn't capable of 4:4:4 and only negotiates a 4:2:2 signal?

Any help appreciated.
10-17-2021, 07:59 AM
Hello,
Anyone here tried CRU on widows 11? I tried to install windows 11 on my old 3rd gen intel computer. With 2560x1440 external monitor. Works perfectly fine on windows 10, but after installing windows 11 the higest resolution i can get on my display settings is 1920x1200
10-17-2021, 01:29 PM
Hi ToastyX! First of all, thank you for your work.

I'm trying to extend the low end of the FreeSync Range of an AOC C24G1 over DisplayPort. If I set it as you suggest on the guide ("Edit..." at the top, then changing "V rate" and checking "Include if slot available", and then running restart.exe) nothing changes and Radeon Software reports the stock FreeSync range.

However, if i use the HDMI method (even though I'm using a DisplayPort cable) then Radeon Software does report whatever range I set in CRU, but when I boot a game, I get random black screens.

What I'm doing wrong? Thank you.
10-18-2021, 11:30 AM
(10-17-2021 12:57 AM)pneumatic Wrote:  Hello,

Is it possible to force a "pixel format" setting (eg. RGB/YCbCr 4:4:4/4:2:0) for AMD GPUs, such as with a registry edit or EDID tweak?

Sorry for my ignorance here ... I just saw the extension block section where these pixel format parameters can be set. It does indeed affect the pixel formats shown in Radeon Settings, so there is nothing more I can try here.

I now suspect my TV is the culprit and is downconverting to 4:2:2 internally as part of its video processing.
10-18-2021, 06:40 PM (Last edited: 10-18-2021, 06:42 PM by roadworrier)
I've got an Acer VG270U. With Windows 10 Pro 20H2 and my previous video card I couldn't get 2560x1440 which is native for this display, so I ordered a new Radeon HD5450 supposedly could do 2560x1440 and worked with Windows 10. I still can't get 2560x1440 with HDMI. 1920x1080 is the best I can see:
[Image: win10_screenshot.png]
But if I launch CRU, it looks like the Detailed resolution lists the native resolution.
[Image: cru_screenshot.png]

Since that's the resolution I want, I'm not sure how to get CRU to set it for me; since it seems that's what the system already has... but it doesn't show up as an option. (I did create a saved resolution exe, ran it, did restart64... but that didn't work.)

FWIW I can get 2560x1440 with this display just fine with my MacBook Air, as well as with a Dell laptop with Windows 10.

Since I just bought this video card I don't mind returning it, I'm not a gamer, and I don't use audio through HDMI, I just want to do work on this machine. It seems all of the drivers for this card are pretty old from AMD.

But rather than return it, I'd prefer to just be able to tell Windows it can send 2560x1440 to the card.
10-19-2021, 01:23 PM
(10-18-2021 06:40 PM)roadworrier Wrote:  I've got an Acer VG270U. With Windows 10 Pro 20H2 and my previous video card I couldn't get 2560x1440 which is native for this display, so I ordered a new Radeon HD5450 supposedly could do 2560x1440 and worked with Windows 10. I still can't get 2560x1440 with HDMI.
This is explained in the first post under pixel clock limits. You need to patch the driver: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...ck-Patcher

A newer video card like the Radeon HD 7850 or GTX 750 will support the monitor without patching the driver.
10-19-2021, 01:24 PM
(10-17-2021 01:29 PM)anm Wrote:  I'm trying to extend the low end of the FreeSync Range of an AOC C24G1 over DisplayPort. If I set it as you suggest on the guide ("Edit..." at the top, then changing "V rate" and checking "Include if slot available", and then running restart.exe) nothing changes and Radeon Software reports the stock FreeSync range.

However, if i use the HDMI method (even though I'm using a DisplayPort cable) then Radeon Software does report whatever range I set in CRU, but when I boot a game, I get random black screens.
Use the HDMI method if it works. Black screens means the monitor can't handle the range.
10-19-2021, 01:24 PM
(10-17-2021 07:59 AM)rciasico Wrote:  Anyone here tried CRU on widows 11? I tried to install windows 11 on my old 3rd gen intel computer. With 2560x1440 external monitor. Works perfectly fine on windows 10, but after installing windows 11 the higest resolution i can get on my display settings is 1920x1200
That sounds like a driver problem.