Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-21-2021, 03:08 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(11-19-2021 09:48 AM)InSight Wrote:  I wanted to setup a TripleScreen with two different Brand of Monitors.
Two Monitor are same Brand Idek Iiyama PL2760Q. Left and Right Monitor.
The other Monitor is AOC AGON AG271QG. Middle Monitor.

All monitors are 1440p, 27" and 144Hz.
I thought this is enough to setup NVIDIA Surround with all three screens.
But is does not work in 144Hz only in 60Hz and I dont know why.
The timing parameters for 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz must match exactly on all three monitors.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2021, 10:23 AM
(11-21-2021 03:08 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  The timing parameters for 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz must match exactly on all three monitors.

Thanks for the hint.
I still couldnt get it to work with 144Hz but 120Hz and I am totally happy with this.
Thanks for your help. You deserve a donation!
11-22-2021, 05:33 AM (Last edited: 11-22-2021, 05:46 AM by chef_pooh)
I've been trying to get my Apple Pro Display XDR to show its full 6k resolution over Thunderbolt 3 on my Windows desktop, and I'm looking for some help. My motherboard (ASRock x570 ITX TB3) has a TitanRidge TB3 controller with DP1.4, so there's enough bandwidth to support 6k...but, as reported by others ( https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/app...t-29114824 ), Windows doesn't seem to expose a 6k resolution when using TB3. On the other hand, I'm able to support 5k with 10 bits (or even 12, despite the monitor only being 10 bit), which is more bandwidth than 6k8bit -- so I'm convinced this is an EDID problem.

I've tried the following:

1) Downloaded Bootcamp drivers, which don't really seem to install "drivers"; instead Apple installs a discrete Bootcamp helper app that lets you interact with the display to change brightness and color profile (but not resolution)
2) I've exported the EDID data of the display when in Mac (attached), and I'm looking into writing a custom driver using this data and Microsoft's documentation ( https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...itor-edids ). I'm not familiar with writing INF files on Windows, so I'm pretty sure I'll botch something.
3) I've tried using NVIDIA Control Panel to set a custom resolution, but that option is greyed out (screenshot attached).
4) I've tried switching from NVIDIA GeForce Drivers to NVIDIA Studio Drivers (both are available for my RTX 3090) to see if I have the option to load a custom EDID override, but, sadly (and inexplicably) that drop-down is not available (screenshot attached).
5) I've tried using CRU to set a custom resolution, but I don't think the device is showing up properly. The only display CRU finds is "NVD0000 - Generic PnP Monitor*" which has a max resolution of 640x480 (screenshot attached). This sounds like some sort of virtual display, and judging from the Registry I'm pretty sure it is (Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY is attached) since I'm pretty sure I want APPAE22 which (I think) is the ProXDR judging from the EDID.

Any help would greatly appreciated! Any suggestions?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.txt  Pro Display XDR.txt (Size: 28.94 KB / Downloads: 273)
.reg  DISPLAY.reg (Size: 13.98 KB / Downloads: 242)
11-23-2021, 02:51 AM
(11-22-2021 05:33 AM)chef_pooh Wrote:  I've been trying to get my Apple Pro Display XDR to show its full 6k resolution over Thunderbolt 3 on my Windows desktop, and I'm looking for some help. My motherboard (ASRock x570 ITX TB3) has a TitanRidge TB3 controller with DP1.4, so there's enough bandwidth to support 6k...but, as reported by others ( https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/app...t-29114824 ), Windows doesn't seem to expose a 6k resolution when using TB3. On the other hand, I'm able to support 5k with 10 bits (or even 12, despite the monitor only being 10 bit), which is more bandwidth than 6k8bit -- so I'm convinced this is an EDID problem.
Can you describe how everything is connected? From what I've read, you need two DisplayPort cables from the NVIDIA GPU to the Titan Ridge controller, but I only see one DisplayPort input on the motherboard. The 6K resolutions don't fit within the max pixel clock for DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 HBR3 (1080 MHz pixel clock at 8 bpc), so either it requires two streams or display stream compression (DSC). Maybe the Titan Ridge controller is preventing DSC from working. Why not connect the monitor directly to the video card using the Moshi USB-C to DisplayPort cable?

I don't think anything is wrong with the EDID. The reason CRU doesn't list the monitor is because the reported EDID in the registry is supposed to be the first 128 bytes only, but apparently that changed with Windows 11, and your monitor is reporting 5 extension blocks, while older drivers only supported up to 3, so CRU saw too much data and failed to process the monitor. I will fix that in the next version. For now, try this: https://www.monitortests.com/CRU-EXT.zip
11-25-2021, 06:12 AM
The monitor I have is the Acer Nitro XF3 series (XF273). I have a GTX 1660. When I got this monitor CRU hasn't been working. I would change my resolution then I would restart my computer but then this is where the problem starts. Everytime my computer would turn on it would stay on for about 1 minute then it would go black, my computer would still be on it would just be a black screen. I would have no other option but to cut power off from my computer, and it would keep doing this everytime I would turn on my computer. Until windows will give me a blue screen saying that I need to reset my computer and I have reset and trying CRU about 6 times and it hasn't worked. On my old monitor it worked perfectly fine. I was asking so I didn't have to return this monitor and get a new one.
11-27-2021, 04:28 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) I can't set a specific resolution
I'm trying to set a resolution that I used on my Nvidia GPU before (1920x1440 on a 1080p monitor), but on AMD, it won't work. So I tried CRU, but when I try to set the refresh rate to 240, it goes red and I can't press ok. Any idea why? Super resolutions work just fine at 240Hz so I don't understand at all. Any sort of response will be appreciated, thanks.

P.S. If you ask me why I want to use the resolution, it's for gaming. I don't need to hear your opinions on whether or not I should use the res because I have gotten enough of those elsewhere.
11-27-2021, 06:03 PM
(11-27-2021 04:28 PM)chipzen Wrote:  I'm trying to set a resolution that I used on my Nvidia GPU before (1920x1440 on a 1080p monitor), but on AMD, it won't work. So I tried CRU, but when I try to set the refresh rate to 240, it goes red and I can't press ok. Any idea why? Super resolutions work just fine at 240Hz so I don't understand at all. Any sort of response will be appreciated, thanks.
This is explained in the first post.
11-27-2021, 06:03 PM
(11-25-2021 06:12 AM)Phayte Wrote:  The monitor I have is the Acer Nitro XF3 series (XF273). I have a GTX 1660. When I got this monitor CRU hasn't been working. I would change my resolution then I would restart my computer but then this is where the problem starts. Everytime my computer would turn on it would stay on for about 1 minute then it would go black, my computer would still be on it would just be a black screen. I would have no other option but to cut power off from my computer, and it would keep doing this everytime I would turn on my computer. Until windows will give me a blue screen saying that I need to reset my computer and I have reset and trying CRU about 6 times and it hasn't worked. On my old monitor it worked perfectly fine. I was asking so I didn't have to return this monitor and get a new one.
I haven't heard of a delayed reaction like that before. If the computer is crashing, then it's a driver bug. What changes are you making with CRU?
11-28-2021, 12:34 AM (Last edited: 11-28-2021, 01:01 AM by Sperious)
I just bought my first ultrawide monitor, the AOC cu34g2x. I run it at 144Hz together with two 1080p monitors at 144Hz as well. All using DP.

When activating G-Sync on the primary ultrawide I unfortunately get the dreaded flickering when FPS drops, typically during game loading screens and menus. In game it’s mostly fine.

After doing a lot of reading through Google and Reddit, I decided to try to change the adaptive rate range of the monitor from its native 48-144Hz to 80-144Hz.

However, when using CRU, the only “Detailed resolutions” that are reported are 59.972Hz and 99.981Hz. The 144Hz I’m running is not one of the detailed resolutions reported in CRU.

[Image: extension.png]

I have tried to press “Edit” and change the V rate anyway, but the flickering persists and my OSD frame counter clearly shows that the monitor dips down to around 48-60Hz those times that the flickering shows.

So, it seems that the changes I make using CRU is not actually implemented. I have run Restart64 and also rebooted several times to no avail.

Another weird thing is that my two identical 1080p monitors show different “Detailed Resolutions” in CRU. One shows only 60Hz while the other one shows 60Hz and 144Hz.

[Image: 24a.png]

[Image: 24b.png]

In Nvidia control panel all three monitors are set to 144Hz. In Windows screen settings one of the 1080p monitors is reported running at 144Hz while the other two monitors, including my primary ultrawide, is reported running at 144.001Hz. Could this be the reason that 144Hz is not shown among the detailed resolutions in CRU?

I’m not sure how to make my monitor respect the 80-144Hz range I’m trying to set in CRU, to hopefully get rid of the flickering.
11-28-2021, 04:08 AM
(11-28-2021 12:34 AM)Sperious Wrote:  However, when using CRU, the only “Detailed resolutions” that are reported are 59.972Hz and 99.981Hz. The 144Hz I’m running is not one of the detailed resolutions reported in CRU.

https://i.ibb.co/845hmZ9/extension.png

I have tried to press “Edit” and change the V rate anyway, but the flickering persists and my OSD frame counter clearly shows that the monitor dips down to around 48-60Hz those times that the flickering shows.

So, it seems that the changes I make using CRU is not actually implemented. I have run Restart64 and also rebooted several times to no avail.
Both issues are explained in the first post under extension blocks.

(11-28-2021 12:34 AM)Sperious Wrote:  Another weird thing is that my two identical 1080p monitors show different “Detailed Resolutions” in CRU. One shows only 60Hz while the other one shows 60Hz and 144Hz.

https://i.ibb.co/h7GsnZy/24a.png

https://i.ibb.co/hdf0NQK/24b.png

In Nvidia control panel all three monitors are set to 144Hz. In Windows screen settings one of the 1080p monitors is reported running at 144Hz while the other two monitors, including my primary ultrawide, is reported running at 144.001Hz. Could this be the reason that 144Hz is not shown among the detailed resolutions in CRU?
No, it should be in the extension block. Either the monitors are different revisions, or some setting is different on one of them, such as G-SYNC being disabled.