Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-28-2021, 04:28 AM (Last edited: 11-28-2021, 09:20 AM by Phayte)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(11-27-2021 06:03 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-25-2021 06:12 AM)Phayte Wrote:  The monitor I have is the Acer Nitro XF3 series (XF273). I have a GTX 1660. When I got this monitor CRU hasn't been working. I would change my resolution then I would restart my computer but then this is where the problem starts. Everytime my computer would turn on it would stay on for about 1 minute then it would go black, my computer would still be on it would just be a black screen. I would have no other option but to cut power off from my computer, and it would keep doing this everytime I would turn on my computer. Until windows will give me a blue screen saying that I need to reset my computer and I have reset and trying CRU about 6 times and it hasn't worked. On my old monitor it worked perfectly fine. I was asking so I didn't have to return this monitor and get a new one.
I haven't heard of a delayed reaction like that before. If the computer is crashing, then it's a driver bug. What changes are you making with CRU?
I am adding (1650x1080 & 165hz) as a detailed resolution then moving it above the default resolution (1920x1080 & 143.854hz) and deleting all of the Extension Blocks. If it is a driver bug where can I update or resolve the problem. I don't know if this is a problem but I'm using the Display Port, because I thought it was a HDMI issue but it isn't.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2021, 11:22 AM
(11-28-2021 04:08 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Both issues are explained in the first post under extension blocks.

I’m really sorry if I seem ignorant or uninformed but this is all very new to me and quite overwhelming. I’ve read the extension block information in the first post but I’m still not sure what to do.

Again, here is what I see with my monitor:

[Image: extension.png]

There is no 3440x1440@144Hz under detailed resolutions and I can’t find it under Extension Blocks either. There are no DisplayID extension records.

(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  [*]NVIDIA: CRU can only read the first extension block because the driver has a bug that prevents reading additional extension blocks. NVIDIA also does not support default extension blocks, so delete any default extension blocks and add one manually if needed. The second extension block is usually a DisplayID extension block with detailed resolutions greater than 655.35 MHz pixel clock such as 1920x1080 @ 360 Hz and 2560x1440 @ 165 Hz.

I don’t understand how I am supposed to access any potential second extension block containing additional detailed resolutions? I have tried deleting the greyed out “Default Extension Block” and restarted using Restart64 but that didn’t change anything. I have tried adding another one manually but it isn’t populated with any new data.

Am i supposed to add a new detailed resolution under the DisplayID section of my newly created Extension Block?

(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Extension blocks:
  • Extension block types:
    • CTA-861 extension blocks can contain additional detailed resolutions and data blocks such as TV resolutions and HDMI support. Note: NVIDIA requires at least 2 bytes left for data blocks or the driver will ignore all changes.

I’m not sure how to confirm if there are at least 2 bytes left for data blocks in order for my Nvidia card to not ignore the changes I make?

All in all, i have read all the information in the first post numerous times but I’m still not sure how to reach my objective:

To limit the adaptive sync range to 80-144Hz when using my monitor in 3440x1440@144hz.

I’m sorry if I’m thick but any help would be greatly appreciated. Blush
11-28-2021, 03:02 PM
(11-28-2021 11:22 AM)Sperious Wrote:  I don’t understand how I am supposed to access any potential second extension block containing additional detailed resolutions? I have tried deleting the greyed out “Default Extension Block” and restarted using Restart64 but that didn’t change anything. I have tried adding another one manually but it isn’t populated with any new data.

Am i supposed to add a new detailed resolution under the DisplayID section of my newly created Extension Block?
Like it says, the second extension block is usually a DisplayID extension block, but CRU can't read it, so it appears as a default extension block, and because of an NVIDIA driver bug, you will have to delete the default extension block and add a DisplayID extension block manually (use DisplayID 1.3). Then you have to add 3440x1440 @ 144 Hz in the DisplayID extension block.

(11-28-2021 11:22 AM)Sperious Wrote:  I’m not sure how to confirm if there are at least 2 bytes left for data blocks in order for my Nvidia card to not ignore the changes I make?
Your screenshot shows 11 bytes left. If after fixing the extension blocks the range still won't change, try adding a FreeSync data block in the CTA-861 extension block. That's only 9 bytes, so that should leave 2 bytes left.
11-28-2021, 03:17 PM
(11-28-2021 04:28 AM)Phayte Wrote:  I am adding (1650x1080 & 165hz) as a detailed resolution then moving it above the default resolution (1920x1080 & 143.854hz) and deleting all of the Extension Blocks. If it is a driver bug where can I update or resolve the problem. I don't know if this is a problem but I'm using the Display Port, because I thought it was a HDMI issue but it isn't.
I'm still not clear about what's happening. Is the computer crashing, or is the computer working but the monitor turns black? I thought you said you got a blue screen at first, but now I realize you meant the recovery options screen, which is normal if you turn off the computer twice in a row. If the monitor is going black, then it might not support the resolution correctly with G-SYNC, so it might be going black after the refresh rate changes. If that's the case, you should still be able to use 1680x1050 @ 165 Hz with GPU scaling by adding 1920x1080 @ 165 Hz instead since 1680x1050 is one of the scaled resolutions automatically added by the driver by default. If the computer is crashing on boot, then that would be an NVIDIA driver bug that you would have to report to NVIDIA, but that doesn't sound like a driver crash because it doesn't happen immediately.
11-28-2021, 09:38 PM
(11-28-2021 03:02 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-28-2021 11:22 AM)Sperious Wrote:  I don’t understand how I am supposed to access any potential second extension block containing additional detailed resolutions? I have tried deleting the greyed out “Default Extension Block” and restarted using Restart64 but that didn’t change anything. I have tried adding another one manually but it isn’t populated with any new data.

Like it says, the second extension block is usually a DisplayID extension block, but CRU can't read it, so it appears as a default extension block, and because of an NVIDIA driver bug, you will have to delete the default extension block and add a DisplayID extension block manually (use DisplayID 1.3). Then you have to add 3440x1440 @ 144 Hz in the DisplayID extension block.

(11-28-2021 11:22 AM)Sperious Wrote:  I’m not sure how to confirm if there are at least 2 bytes left for data blocks in order for my Nvidia card to not ignore the changes I make?
Your screenshot shows 11 bytes left. If after fixing the extension blocks the range still won't change, try adding a FreeSync data block in the CTA-861 extension block. That's only 9 bytes, so that should leave 2 bytes left.

Thank you so much for taking the time to clarify this for me! It’s working beautifully now. You made my day. Thank you!
11-28-2021, 10:44 PM
(11-28-2021 03:17 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-28-2021 04:28 AM)Phayte Wrote:  I am adding (1650x1080 & 165hz) as a detailed resolution then moving it above the default resolution (1920x1080 & 143.854hz) and deleting all of the Extension Blocks. If it is a driver bug where can I update or resolve the problem. I don't know if this is a problem but I'm using the Display Port, because I thought it was a HDMI issue but it isn't.
I'm still not clear about what's happening. Is the computer crashing, or is the computer working but the monitor turns black? I thought you said you got a blue screen at first, but now I realize you meant the recovery options screen, which is normal if you turn off the computer twice in a row. If the monitor is going black, then it might not support the resolution correctly with G-SYNC, so it might be going black after the refresh rate changes. If that's the case, you should still be able to use 1680x1050 @ 165 Hz with GPU scaling by adding 1920x1080 @ 165 Hz instead since 1680x1050 is one of the scaled resolutions automatically added by the driver by default. If the computer is crashing on boot, then that would be an NVIDIA driver bug that you would have to report to NVIDIA, but that doesn't sound like a driver crash because it doesn't happen immediately.
I'm not quite sure if its the Monitor that is going black or it is the actual computer. I'm using the default settings to change the resolution but its not quite the same.
Is there anything you would recommend to try to fix it?
11-29-2021, 01:07 AM
(11-28-2021 10:44 PM)Phayte Wrote:  I'm not quite sure if its the Monitor that is going black or it is the actual computer. I'm using the default settings to change the resolution but its not quite the same.
Press Caps Lock and see if the light comes on. If it does, then it's probably the monitor. Try disabling FreeSync in the monitor and see if that changes anything.
11-29-2021, 01:42 AM
(11-29-2021 01:07 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-28-2021 10:44 PM)Phayte Wrote:  I'm not quite sure if its the Monitor that is going black or it is the actual computer. I'm using the default settings to change the resolution but its not quite the same.
Press Caps Lock and see if the light comes on. If it does, then it's probably the monitor. Try disabling FreeSync in the monitor and see if that changes anything.
OMG it worked. I turned off Freesync on my monitor then I deleted all the blocks then added 1650x1080 & 144hz as a detailed resolution and hit restart 64. Thank you so much Smile
11-29-2021, 05:41 PM (Last edited: 11-29-2021, 05:42 PM by ronatar9)
Hello I try to do freesync through cru.
When I do this whenever I turn my screen off and on there is no signal I have oled b9.
I don’t know what to do I want to enjoy vrr but every time there is no signal.
Thx for the help.
Gpu 6900xt
11-29-2021, 08:31 PM
hello, i am posting due to an issue im experiencing. i just upgraded from an rx 570 8gb to an rx 6600 8gb. for some reason, after i installed the new graphics card, i cannot seem to use interlaced resolutions on my monitor. in windows, none of the interlaced resolutions show up in the available modes. ive been trying to fix ths for a few hours with not success.

ive attached the profile ive saved before i swapped cards.

Attached File(s)
.bin  dellm781s.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 183)