Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
12-12-2021, 09:39 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(12-12-2021 08:58 PM)Jerre_D Wrote:  I have 3 32" monitors connected via DP to my PC, now i want to use these 3 monitors in surround, which works, but only at 4k, is there a way i can make it possible with CRU that i can use these 3 monitors in surround at a lower resolution like 1080 or 1440?
I looked at the extension block should i delete the 4k resolution in detailed resolutions(second resolution is 1440p)?
You can add the resolution you want as a detailed resolution on all three monitors. If the resolution already exists, make sure the timing parameters match exactly on all three monitors. You can delete higher resolutions if you don't need them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(12-12-2021 08:32 AM)jimmy1909 Wrote:  My one last final problem is, how do I prevent Windows from force loading their PNP generic monitor driver/prevent it forcing 8 bit bpc 60hz after every reboot?

the EDID of the TV using CRU and Advantiv EeditZ shows it only supports 10,12,16 bit bpc. makes sense because when it is on 8 bit bpc, the HDMI gives on screen green lines and other flickers and artifacts.
That question doesn't make sense because the "Generic PnP Monitor" driver isn't causing the resolution to change, and there's no such a thing as a TV that doesn't support 8 bpc because 8 bpc is always supposed to be supported with HDMI. Windows boots to the last set resolution if available, so this would be a bug with the graphics driver.
(12-11-2021 12:59 PM)pki Wrote:  I am using VGA monitors (X224W) which goes up to 1680x1050 with DP to VGA "el cheapo" adapters. Thanks to CRU it it working, i had to copy the setting from the monitor connected to an other PC with VGA output.

I am using RX470 AMD GPU.

Now i have one last problem, in the screen resolution dialog from window 10 it still shows 1920x1080. It is not supported by the monitor, deleted in CRU. I think it may be supported by the DP to VGA cable. How to remove this resolution?
The monitor should have worked with the adapter without making any changes with CRU. Was CRU blank when you first opened it? Is the monitor detected as a "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" in Device Manager? That would indicate the driver couldn't read a valid EDID from the monitor, which means either the cable or adapter is not letting it pass through, or the EDID is corrupted on the monitor. AMD automatically adds 1920x1080 in that case.

Check the Windows display settings > Advanced display settings > Display adapter properties > Monitor tab and try enabling the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" check box.

The X224W supports DVI, so it would be better to use an HDMI-DVI cable/adapter instead of a DP-VGA adapter that converts the signal. If you don't have an HDMI port available on the GPU, then a DP-DVI adapter would be better. Then you can avoid VGA altogether.
12-13-2021, 08:29 AM (Last edited: 12-13-2021, 08:29 AM by Man)
Okay so this is a continuation of this thread:

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...1080p-48Hz

With CRU; I managed to add several refresh rate to my Asus VH222 1080p monitor, namely: 72Hz, 50Hz, 48Hz, 45Hz and 42Hz. The monitor bottoms out at 42Hz and doesn't want to go below that.

In case you're wondering; I can't stand screen tearing so I play with capped frame rate + "low-lag" vsync enabled by using this nifty technique that brings down vsync lag just 10ms shy of Gsync and works like a charm:

https://blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on/

The problem is; whenever I go 45Hz or lower; the screen shifts to the right hand side of the monitor as seen here:

https://i.imgur.com/KZq0WJ3.jpg

Is there any solution to this strange behavior?

Thanks!
12-15-2021, 04:52 PM
(12-13-2021 08:29 AM)Man Wrote:  The problem is; whenever I go 45Hz or lower; the screen shifts to the right hand side of the monitor as seen here:

https://i.imgur.com/KZq0WJ3.jpg

Is there any solution to this strange behavior?
That's a monitor-specific issue, so you'll have to figure out if the timing parameters can affect the positioning. Normally the timing parameters don't affect positioning with digital signals. Many monitors will not accept refresh rates less than 50 Hz, so more than likely the monitor was not designed to handle low refresh rates and can't display them correctly.
12-15-2021, 11:56 PM
First of all, HUGE appreciation to ToastyX for developing this Editor and providing immense support for all these years. My man, you are a rockstar!

I have been using a 34" LG 21:9 monitor for a few years now. This week, I picked up a couple more 34" LG 21:9 monitors (different models compared to the original) to build a triple-monitor setup. Each monitor is running at 2560x1080 @ 75 Hz. So, with NVIDIA Surround enabled, the displays should be running at 7680x1080 by my calculations. However, NVIDIA will only let me select 5760x1080 for some reason (as shown in one of the attachments.)

I'm not exactly computer savvy, so I have been following this YouTube guide to resolve the issue. I downloaded CRU and followed the steps described in the video, but I'm still only able to select 5760x1080 with NVIDIA Surround.

Please help! This 45 year old gamer is just so excited to FINALLY play on a triple monitor setup!

I attached some screenshot images that hopefully give you the information you need, but please let me know if you need anything else. Thank you so much!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-16-2021, 12:56 AM
(12-15-2021 11:56 PM)Sam Wrote:  I have been using a 34" LG 21:9 monitor for a few years now. This week, I picked up a couple more 34" LG 21:9 monitors (different models compared to the original) to build a triple-monitor setup. Each monitor is running at 2560x1080 @ 75 Hz. So, with NVIDIA Surround enabled, the displays should be running at 7680x1080 by my calculations. However, NVIDIA will only let me select 5760x1080 for some reason (as shown in one of the attachments.)

I'm not exactly computer savvy, so I have been following this YouTube guide to resolve the issue. I downloaded CRU and followed the steps described in the video, but I'm still only able to select 5760x1080 with NVIDIA Surround.
That video doesn't explain the issue you're experiencing. The timing parameters and frequencies for the detailed resolutions you want to use with Surround must match exactly on all three monitors. The values aren't important. Just make them match.

NVIDIA's driver has a new bug that might cause the driver to crash on boot after using CRU. The bug only affects certain monitors, but you only need to edit either the old one or the new ones. If you're not able to edit either, then try installing NVIDIA driver version 471.11.

NVIDIA's driver also has a bug that causes the Surround to disable after rebooting when using EDID overrides, so you might have to enable Surround after every boot.
12-16-2021, 03:20 AM
(12-16-2021 12:56 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-15-2021 11:56 PM)Sam Wrote:  blah blah blah...
The timing parameters and frequencies for the detailed resolutions you want to use with Surround must match exactly on all three monitors. The values aren't important. Just make them match.

NVIDIA's driver also has a bug that causes the Surround to disable after rebooting when using EDID overrides, so you might have to enable Surround after every boot.

Matching the Detailed Resolutions settings did the trick! I was able to select the correct 21:9 resolution. Thank you, ToastyX!
However, after I rebooted, it went back to 5760x1080. Is there any fix or workaround to the bug that causes the Surround to disable after rebooting?
12-16-2021, 04:21 PM
(12-12-2021 09:39 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-12-2021 08:58 PM)Jerre_D Wrote:  I have 3 32" monitors connected via DP to my PC, now i want to use these 3 monitors in surround, which works, but only at 4k, is there a way i can make it possible with CRU that i can use these 3 monitors in surround at a lower resolution like 1080 or 1440?
I looked at the extension block should i delete the 4k resolution in detailed resolutions(second resolution is 1440p)?
You can add the resolution you want as a detailed resolution on all three monitors. If the resolution already exists, make sure the timing parameters match exactly on all three monitors. You can delete higher resolutions if you don't need them.

Tried to add a resolution, but after using the restart 64 my pc freezes and need to hit the reset button, after rebooting it freezes again as soon as Windows starts.
12-16-2021, 04:38 PM
(12-16-2021 04:21 PM)Jerre_D Wrote:  Tried to add a resolution, but after using the restart 64 my pc freezes and need to hit the reset button, after rebooting it freezes again as soon as Windows starts.
Report the issue to NVIDIA. Their driver is broken. Try 471.11.