Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-23-2022, 06:36 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(06-22-2022 03:36 AM)Jim Davis Wrote:  The monitor in question is a 4k TV , using HDMI and is the PRIMARY monitor under Windows, so not sure why the apps shift to one of the other monitors which are ALSO turned off at the time. Seems to happen after a period of time , not immediately after turning off the TV.
I've heard of this happening with some TVs, but that would be a design issue with the TV because the TV should be detectable even without power. The only way around that would be to use an EDID emulator that always sends an EDID to the computer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2022, 08:39 PM (Last edited: 06-23-2022, 08:54 PM by Sunspark)
I have a question about retrieving EDID blocks on iGPU. I was just in Windows 7 and was fiddling with Entech's Monitor Asset Manager program, and it actually said "Real-time" in the list (not just the registry entries), so I saved a copy of the report and the hex codes imported just fine into CRU.

How is Entech getting real-time EDID information? Is it that the adapter I have installed is facilitating the process, or they have a special method to retrieve it through the Intel GPU?

For "Exact" and "Exact reduced" do you maintain a database or is it formula-driven?

The reason I wonder this, is because for my native resolution of 2048x1152, Exact will deliver 60.000 with a pixel clock of 162 using blanking of 98 lines. Exact reduced will run the panel at 60.01093 with a pixel clock of 152.28 using blanking of 23 lines. However, I have come across a modeline that will run 60/162 but using a blanking of 48 lines. It's also a reduced-blanking as well, although it is using a higher pixel clock. Do you collect strings, or is this one of those edge cases that exists but is left up to the end user to figure out?
06-24-2022, 01:39 AM
(06-23-2022 08:39 PM)Sunspark Wrote:  I have a question about retrieving EDID blocks on iGPU. I was just in Windows 7 and was fiddling with Entech's Monitor Asset Manager program, and it actually said "Real-time" in the list (not just the registry entries), so I saved a copy of the report and the hex codes imported just fine into CRU.

How is Entech getting real-time EDID information? Is it that the adapter I have installed is facilitating the process, or they have a special method to retrieve it through the Intel GPU?
Their program can read the first extension block with Intel GPUs. I don't know if they're using Intel's CUI SDK, which isn't publicly available, or if they have some other method. I tried to get access to the CUI SDK, but Intel's support just gave me the runaround. If I find a way to read the full EDID with Intel GPUs, I will incorporate it into CRU. I just found out Intel has a new library that's publicly available (IGCL), so I will have to see if I can make that work with current GPUs at least.

(06-23-2022 08:39 PM)Sunspark Wrote:  For "Exact" and "Exact reduced" do you maintain a database or is it formula-driven?

The reason I wonder this, is because for my native resolution of 2048x1152, Exact will deliver 60.000 with a pixel clock of 162 using blanking of 98 lines. Exact reduced will run the panel at 60.01093 with a pixel clock of 152.28 using blanking of 23 lines. However, I have come across a modeline that will run 60/162 but using a blanking of 48 lines. It's also a reduced-blanking as well, although it is using a higher pixel clock. Do you collect strings, or is this one of those edge cases that exists but is left up to the end user to figure out?
They are formula-driven. Where are you seeing 60.01093? All integer refresh rates should be mathematically exact with both Exact and Exact reduced, but actual measured hardware refresh rates can vary slightly.
06-24-2022, 04:14 AM
(06-24-2022 01:39 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  They are formula-driven. Where are you seeing 60.01093? All integer refresh rates should be mathematically exact with both Exact and Exact reduced, but actual measured hardware refresh rates can vary slightly.

I use MadVR in my video player, the HUD can show you the refresh rate the panel is running at when the video is playing. Pretty interesting because the edid modeline for my panel will report as display 59.876Hz composition rate 59.909Hz. Using CRU's automatic setting will give 59.949 display/60 composition which is nice. Exact will give 60/60.

Exact reduced will give 60.01093 display.

The set of timings below will give 60/60. I don't know the formula that was used to create them but they were labelled as DMT reduced-blanking.

PIXEL_CLK = 162.00
H_DISP = 2048
H_FPORCH = 26
H_SYNC = 80
H_BPORCH = 96
H_SYNC_POL = +
V_DISP = 1152
V_FPORCH = 1
V_SYNC = 3
V_BPORCH = 44
V_SYNC_POL = +
06-24-2022, 05:38 AM
(06-24-2022 04:14 AM)Sunspark Wrote:  I use MadVR in my video player, the HUD can show you the refresh rate the panel is running at when the video is playing. Pretty interesting because the edid modeline for my panel will report as display 59.876Hz composition rate 59.909Hz. Using CRU's automatic setting will give 59.949 display/60 composition which is nice. Exact will give 60/60.

Exact reduced will give 60.01093 display.
That seems hardware-specific. The Exact modes were only meant to be logically exact. I can't guarantee any particular timing will be physically exact because that's hardware-dependent.

(06-24-2022 04:14 AM)Sunspark Wrote:  The set of timings below will give 60/60. I don't know the formula that was used to create them but they were labelled as DMT reduced-blanking.
DMT is not formula-based. I only included DMT for 1360/1366x768 and 1600x900 @ 60 Hz. If I add DMT for 2048x1152 @ 60 Hz, it will be part of the Automatic PC/HDTV modes. Exact and Exact reduced will stay the same.
06-26-2022, 04:34 PM
Hello, sorry for my bad English.

I come here after reading a lot and now that I have a monitor I might be able to take some advantage of it.

I know cru for a long time to see the panel, or just the information it displays but never got into it thoroughly, I'm looking for some tutorial to know how I can create more than resolutions, because I'm already looking at 1440p especially to see if I can squeeze the ports to apply more bits, or vrr, or high refresh rates.

I have an Asus Pg329q monitor running at 1440p with a 1080ti Aorus xtreme.

The monitor as it says, and I can not find out more information says that supports HDR, but this monitor has hdmi 2.0 and displaypor 1.2 in your information, inside the monitor says that supports display port 1.2 + hdr thing that is not well what it is, or that protocol is using ...

In addition, this monitor is certified with Vesa HDR 600 and win11 does not detect it.

Also I realize that for the HDMI 2.0 cable the Nvidia control panel does not detect the Gsync Compatible option.

Can you give me some clue or some information about what kind of cable would be more convenient to use? dp1.4 as the gpu gives me to the dp1.2 port of the monitor? or pull by HDMI?

It is curious, when I connect it by HDMI to 1440p at 60hz in windows11 the able to be configured to 12bits but instead by displayport at 60hz only to 10bits.

I would like to be able to activate the Gsync compatible option at least at 120hz or 144hz with 10bits, but I do not know how to do it.

I know it is very selfish of me, is there any tutorial for these things? or information I can read to understand how to create blocks? or see if there are blocks available? and start playing?

thanks and greetings from barcelona
06-27-2022, 09:57 AM
I have a question about output a custom resolution video to a LED wall. The LED wall is in a special resolution 6192 x 2580. If I connect the LED wall with a PC with Win 10 and Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080ti via HDMI 2.0, am I able to output a true 6192x2580 by setting a profile in CRU? I need to output a true 6192x2580 video in order to have a full screen size on the LED wall. Could I set up that special resolution by CRU?

Your reply is highly appreciated, thanks a lot!
06-27-2022, 11:13 PM
(06-27-2022 09:57 AM)marketing@bap.com.hk Wrote:  I have a question about output a custom resolution video to a LED wall. The LED wall is in a special resolution 6192 x 2580. If I connect the LED wall with a PC with Win 10 and Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080ti via HDMI 2.0, am I able to output a true 6192x2580 by setting a profile in CRU? I need to output a true 6192x2580 video in order to have a full screen size on the LED wall. Could I set up that special resolution by CRU?
Yes, but HDMI 2.0 is limited to 600 MHz pixel clock, so 6192x2580 is only possible at around 30 Hz. Video walls usually use multiple connections.
06-27-2022, 11:13 PM
(06-26-2022 04:34 PM)toretobcn Wrote:  Also I realize that for the HDMI 2.0 cable the Nvidia control panel does not detect the Gsync Compatible option.

Can you give me some clue or some information about what kind of cable would be more convenient to use? dp1.4 as the gpu gives me to the dp1.2 port of the monitor? or pull by HDMI?

It is curious, when I connect it by HDMI to 1440p at 60hz in windows11 the able to be configured to 12bits but instead by displayport at 60hz only to 10bits.

I would like to be able to activate the Gsync compatible option at least at 120hz or 144hz with 10bits, but I do not know how to do it.

I know it is very selfish of me, is there any tutorial for these things? or information I can read to understand how to create blocks? or see if there are blocks available? and start playing?

You need to use DisplayPort if you want G-SYNC because NVIDIA does not support G-SYNC with HDMI 2.0.
  • 120 Hz at 10 bpc should be available automatically with DisplayPort 1.2.
  • 144 Hz at 10 bpc might be possible with DisplayPort 1.2 if you edit the detailed resolution (might be in the extension block) and reduce the blanking/totals to keep the pixel clock below 576 MHz (with some overhead it might be 572 MHz).
  • 60 Hz and 100 Hz at 12 bpc is possible if the max color depth is set to 12 bpc. You can edit the max color depth for DisplayPort using the "Edit..." button at the top of the main window, but the monitor might not actually support 12 bpc. The monitor might accept 12 bpc but downsample to 10 bpc.
  • 120 Hz at 12 bpc might be possible if you reduce the blanking/totals to keep the pixel clock below 480 MHz (or 476 MHz with overhead).
You shouldn't need to add any data blocks because the monitor already defines what it supports. There are various tutorials out there made by other people, but they often leave out important information and add unnecessary steps. You should read the first post about extension blocks since you have an NVIDIA GPU, and the detailed resolution section has some important information.

This might help as well:
https://www.monitortests.com/blog/timing...explained/
https://www.monitortests.com/blog/common...ck-limits/

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-29-2022, 11:11 AM (Last edited: 06-29-2022, 11:39 AM by IIISi Z16 HF LE)
Hello Guyz,

I am new here greetings.

I came here because I have problem too with custom resolution !
Thanks to crafty Intel right?
So
I have purchased new laptop 11th gen i7 11800H with an annoying their UHD graphics.. along with RTX 3060 Nvidia as secondary GPU
Now I have hooked it up on mine Samsung TV Q85T 4k@120 .
And from laptop I can only push native 4k@60 only but can't override to 4k@120. If I would have that old intel control center where I could set even refresh rate and monitor timing standard, I would have 4k@120
And as you guessing I am not able to push custom resolution because amazing intel scrapped traditional graphics control panel from right click .. Only my option was to download microsoft store app intel graphics command center . And that poor center surprised me and when I tried to do custom resolution, it only showing width and height and can't do anything.
So I was trying to workarounds in registry adding some strings as on youtube some managed to do it, but no luck for me...
Intel shamefully removed old control panel where I could be able to do full custom resolution.
So lastly I found this software ...
I want to know if this software is supported for Intel 11th gen laptops ? (2021)

Thanks

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)