Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-17-2022, 07:34 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(07-17-2022 05:30 PM)RuneMason1 Wrote:  I found this in trying to get my PC to display on my Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. It's shown up exactly twice at 240 hz but it doesn't want to show up at max resolution at that refresh rate. Your tool looks amazing, but i'm not sure how to use it. Any assist would be amazing
CRU is not for fixing issues like this. 240 Hz should work out of the box, so something is wrong. 5120x1440 @ 240 Hz requires DisplayPort 1.4 or HDMI 2.1 with Display Stream Compression (DSC), so the GPU must support that, and the cable needs to be good enough to handle the bandwidth required, or it might negotiate a lower speed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2022, 04:40 AM
(07-17-2022 05:30 PM)RuneMason1 Wrote:  I found this in trying to get my PC to display on my Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. It's shown up exactly twice at 240 hz but it doesn't want to show up at max resolution at that refresh rate. Your tool looks amazing, but i'm not sure how to use it. Any assist would be amazing

Toasty beat me to it, but most likely your GPU (or possibly cabling) doesnt support the required DP/HDMI standards required

You need to set the native resolution and then see what refresh rate you can run, and compare HDMI and DP with your graphics card - quite often they're not equal.
07-18-2022, 05:35 PM
New LG C1 owner here, using it for PC gaming. What a handy tool! I do have an issue I am hoping I can get some information on (or resolution too). I think I am hitting a bug with CRU 1.5.1

My setup:
Win11
Nvidia 3090
Latest Nvidia 516.59 Gaming Drivers
HDMI input set to "PC mode" in LG menu

Bug Replication Steps
1. Use any HDMI input
2. Enable VRR/Gsync in LG's Game Optimizer menu
3. In CRU edit HDR Static Metadata and set Max and Avg Luminance of 128 (it seems like ANY edit will do. I tried deleting 4096 resolutions too).
4. Reboot
5. Disable VRR/Gsync in LG's Game Optimizer menu
Result: black screen. TV no longer receiving a signal

More findings: if I re-enable VRR/Gsync in Game Optimizer after I get the black screen, the signal to the computer comes back. Also, if I first disable Gsync in Nvidia Control Panel and then disable VRR/Gsync in Game Optimizer the signal from the computer to the TV is not lost.

Things I have tried.
-reinstall nvidia drivers
-tried different HDMI ports
-tried new 2.1 certified HDMI cable

Any ideas?
07-18-2022, 08:09 PM (Last edited: 07-18-2022, 08:11 PM by rpolacek7)
Hello. Upgraded old Sharp TV to new LG C1. Used to hook up HTPC > Denon AVR-X3400H > TV while getting great sound options (DTS, 5.1, etc). New C1 uses eARC, and from looking at reddit threads, there is an issue where LG limits the sound to stereo. That lead me to a proposed fix using CRU, but I am still having issues.

TV: LG C1, HDMI port 4 set to PC mode
Receiver: Denon AVR-X3400H - newest firmware
GPU: AMD RX 480. Drivers - 22.6.1 released 06/22/2022
Connecting to LG C1 via HDMI 2.1 cable

I believed I followed all of the steps of drilling down into the audio formats and adjusting the max channels to 8 (7.1). This was originally set to 2. The pics attached should show all screens. Once updated I did the restart.exe and restarted the PC for good measure. However, the windows configuration still limits me to only stereo.
I tried using either of the HDMI ports from the RX 480. Something that was unique was that my extension blocks on the first screen had "0 detailed resolutions". I didn't see that come up in other people's screenshots.

Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?
Thanks.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-19-2022, 11:40 AM
(07-12-2022 04:49 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-11-2022 03:42 PM)Clavius Wrote:  I found CRU can adjust it but it is not working.
This is default.:

And I modified.:

Do I set wrong? Or is it controlled by hardware?
Read the first post about extension blocks.

I disable 144Hz in monitor settings, but add a DisplayID2.0 144Hz in second extension blocks.
And it is working now.
Thank you.
07-20-2022, 03:15 AM
(07-18-2022 08:09 PM)rpolacek7 Wrote:  I believed I followed all of the steps of drilling down into the audio formats and adjusting the max channels to 8 (7.1). This was originally set to 2. The pics attached should show all screens. Once updated I did the restart.exe and restarted the PC for good measure. However, the windows configuration still limits me to only stereo.
I tried using either of the HDMI ports from the RX 480. Something that was unique was that my extension blocks on the first screen had "0 detailed resolutions". I didn't see that come up in other people's screenshots.

I don't see anything wrong. Try adding a speaker setup data block. No detailed resolutions in the extension block is fine. What resolution are you using? 2560x1440 @ 120 Hz might not have enough blanking for 8 channels, but 3840x2160 should work.
07-20-2022, 03:15 AM
(07-18-2022 05:35 PM)HappyFunNiceGuy Wrote:  1. Use any HDMI input
2. Enable VRR/Gsync in LG's Game Optimizer menu
3. In CRU edit HDR Static Metadata and set Max and Avg Luminance of 128 (it seems like ANY edit will do. I tried deleting 4096 resolutions too).
4. Reboot
5. Disable VRR/Gsync in LG's Game Optimizer menu
Result: black screen. TV no longer receiving a signal

More findings: if I re-enable VRR/Gsync in Game Optimizer after I get the black screen, the signal to the computer comes back. Also, if I first disable Gsync in Nvidia Control Panel and then disable VRR/Gsync in Game Optimizer the signal from the computer to the TV is not lost.
That seems like an NVIDIA driver bug. Usually disabling VRR/G-SYNC in the TV will change the EDID, which should appear as a separate entry in the CRU monitor list. Maybe the driver is getting confused with one having an override but the other not. You might have to make the changes with VRR/G-SYNC disabled first, then enable it and make the same changes so both entries have overrides.
07-20-2022, 03:27 AM
It does indeed. Is it possible CRU interacting with a NVCP settings I use (NIS, ULL, VSync, Gsync) that caused this? I suppose I can test it. Thanks.
07-20-2022, 05:57 PM
(07-20-2022 03:15 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-18-2022 08:09 PM)rpolacek7 Wrote:  I believed I followed all of the steps of drilling down into the audio formats and adjusting the max channels to 8 (7.1). This was originally set to 2. The pics attached should show all screens. Once updated I did the restart.exe and restarted the PC for good measure. However, the windows configuration still limits me to only stereo.

I don't see anything wrong. Try adding a speaker setup data block. No detailed resolutions in the extension block is fine. What resolution are you using? 2560x1440 @ 120 Hz might not have enough blanking for 8 channels, but 3840x2160 should work.

Thanks. After more research I just decided to do a complete reinstall of the AMD drivers. Unplugged everything and tried to act like I was starting fresh. This time CRU change to 7.1 worked.
I am now able to see all of the options. The one side effect is that my system is a 5.1. If I select 5.1, there is no sound with little static during windows test. If I change to 7.1, the speakers act fine. Slight difference that the rear speakers play twice for the back/side. No big deal to me, but just something interesting.
07-21-2022, 05:34 AM
(07-20-2022 03:27 AM)HappyFunNiceGuy Wrote:  It does indeed. Is it possible CRU interacting with a NVCP settings I use (NIS, ULL, VSync, Gsync) that caused this? I suppose I can test it. Thanks.
CRU only creates EDID overrides. It doesn't deal with driver settings.