Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-17-2022, 08:06 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-16-2022 07:48 PM)nightcomes Wrote:  There indeed seems to be another "GPU" listed in the Display adapters: "Virtual Desktop Display" I think it was called, and it belongs to the application that I have installed (but don't use) called Virtual Desktop, which is an application that is used to use PCVR on the Oculus Quest 2 wirelessly. I have uninstalled that for the time being to see if that fixes the issue, and for the initial bit of tries, it hasn't crashed yet. I will report back after using this way for a while. I probably won't need that application anymore, so it is not really necessary but is there a way to make the restart64.exe work with it installed anyway(provided it indeed ends up being the culprit)?
Thanks
Possibly, but I've seen lockups even without additional GPUs. I tried installing Virtual Desktop Streamer and see a "Virtual Desktop Monitor" GPU, but it doesn't seem to be affecting restarts for me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2022, 08:06 PM
(08-16-2022 06:03 PM)kaleb418 Wrote:  Native laptop resolution is 3072x1920, native monitor resolution is 5120x2880. Tried to use any lower 16:9 resolution, tried 2560×1440 and 1920x1080. GPU is AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB. I attached screenshots of what I see when I open CRU (as you can see, there are 3 detailed resolution entries by default). After running restart64.exe, the list of available modes does not update, as seen in the screenshot. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong, thanks.
It's not normal to have only one resolution in the "List All Modes" list. Normally there are additional GPU-scaled resolutions even if the monitor doesn't define them. Adding resolutions with CRU will not do anything if it won't even list the resolutions that are already defined by the monitor. Either something is wrong with the graphics driver, or the driver is intentionally limiting the list of resolutions for some reason.

I think there is more than the 5500M. Is this a MacBook Pro? If so, it also has an integrated Intel GPU. Usually the Intel GPU handles the display output on laptops with switchable graphics. Adding to the complexity is the Apple display uses Thunderbolt, which is separate from the GPU. Do you see one or two active displays in the CRU display list? If two, then it's also using multi-stream transport, which is like having two displays internally that the GPU has to combine into one.

The drivers for the Thunderbolt controller, the Intel GPU, and the AMD GPU all need to be installed and work together to make this configuration work. This might be limiting the options available if the drivers don't completely support this configuration.
08-18-2022, 02:47 AM
(08-17-2022 08:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-16-2022 06:03 PM)kaleb418 Wrote:  Native laptop resolution is 3072x1920, native monitor resolution is 5120x2880. Tried to use any lower 16:9 resolution, tried 2560×1440 and 1920x1080. GPU is AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB. I attached screenshots of what I see when I open CRU (as you can see, there are 3 detailed resolution entries by default). After running restart64.exe, the list of available modes does not update, as seen in the screenshot. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong, thanks.
It's not normal to have only one resolution in the "List All Modes" list. Normally there are additional GPU-scaled resolutions even if the monitor doesn't define them. Adding resolutions with CRU will not do anything if it won't even list the resolutions that are already defined by the monitor. Either something is wrong with the graphics driver, or the driver is intentionally limiting the list of resolutions for some reason.

I think there is more than the 5500M. Is this a MacBook Pro? If so, it also has an integrated Intel GPU. Usually the Intel GPU handles the display output on laptops with switchable graphics. Adding to the complexity is the Apple display uses Thunderbolt, which is separate from the GPU. Do you see one or two active displays in the CRU display list? If two, then it's also using multi-stream transport, which is like having two displays internally that the GPU has to combine into one.

The drivers for the Thunderbolt controller, the Intel GPU, and the AMD GPU all need to be installed and work together to make this configuration work. This might be limiting the options available if the drivers don't completely support this configuration.

Yes, I did think it was weird that only one resolution is offered. I just double checked my AMD, Intel, and Thunderbolt drivers, and all seem to be in good working order and updated.

I'm using a 2019 16" MBP with the studio display, and two active displays show up in CRU. Both displays are definitely only using the AMD GPU even though the integrated GPU is available.
08-18-2022, 04:57 AM
(08-18-2022 02:47 AM)kaleb418 Wrote:  
(08-17-2022 08:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  

Yes, I did think it was weird that only one resolution is offered. I just double checked my AMD, Intel, and Thunderbolt drivers, and all seem to be in good working order and updated.

I'm using a 2019 16" MBP with the studio display, and two active displays show up in CRU. Both displays are definitely only using the AMD GPU even though the integrated GPU is available.

Update. After researching several custom driver options, I ended up just giving up and removing + reinstalling AMD drivers. Bam, that fixed it, and now many resolutions are showing up. Thanks for the help, glad I got it worked out Smile
08-20-2022, 07:01 PM (Last edited: 08-20-2022, 07:29 PM by Squall Leonhart)
on nVidia drivers, Restart64 causes a race condition inside the desktops Explorer.exe process which results in a resource leak , this condition is not triggered through toggling the driver state manually in device manager.

under this condition, both video memory commit and working set grow in the following events

* Opening the start menu rapidly
* Turning a display on and off (with displays that are treated as disconnected when turned off, like tv's)
* changing the windows advanced performance settings

The first is only a few hundred MB's at a time, the second 2 can be gigabytes of memory each time you perform the action.

I suspect the cycle is too fast for the UMD state to complete unloading, else its crapping up the shell animations / dpi change automation.

after using Restart64, i can power cycle my tv until the kernel runs out of memory and display driver fails to recover from a TDR,

I caught this most recently when i noticed 14GB's memory and 5GB's of vram consumed by Explorer.exe, after Ryujinx's Vulkan failed to start correctly (Nvidia drivers don't handle vulkan overcommit at all)
08-20-2022, 10:32 PM
(08-20-2022 07:01 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote:  on nVidia drivers, Restart64 causes a race condition inside the desktops Explorer.exe process which results in a resource leak , this condition is not triggered through toggling the driver state manually in device manager.

under this condition, both video memory commit and working set grow in the following events

* Opening the start menu rapidly
* Turning a display on and off (with displays that are treated as disconnected when turned off, like tv's)
* changing the windows advanced performance settings

The first is only a few hundred MB's at a time, the second 2 can be gigabytes of memory each time you perform the action.
I'm not seeing increased memory usage with those actions. I do see increased memory usage from restarting the driver, but that happens for me even when using Device Manager, so your issue seems to be different. Does the problem happen with the restart64.exe that comes with CRU 1.4.1? https://www.monitortests.com/download/cr...-1.4.1.zip

The older version has a delay between stopping and starting the driver, so if it still happens with the older restart64.exe, then it's not a race condition. Does restarting explorer.exe work around the problem?
08-21-2022, 08:29 AM (Last edited: 08-21-2022, 08:42 AM by Squall Leonhart)
Restart 1.3 can trigger it, if either or both of the driver unloaded dpi and loaded dpi are above 100% (native is 150% on my TV), i use 125% or 100% depending on if the tv is on or off respectively.

Restart 1.5 doesn't seem to have that condition and introduces the issue either way

It may be exploding an until now unknown bug in Explorer.exe regarding glyph or icon rendering, i did notice at 150% that during the restart process with 1.3, some icons do not finish redrawing on the task bar before the driver is started again.
08-21-2022, 06:18 PM
(08-21-2022 08:29 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote:  Restart 1.3 can trigger it, if either or both of the driver unloaded dpi and loaded dpi are above 100% (native is 150% on my TV), i use 125% or 100% depending on if the tv is on or off respectively.

Restart 1.5 doesn't seem to have that condition and introduces the issue either way

It may be exploding an until now unknown bug in Explorer.exe regarding glyph or icon rendering, i did notice at 150% that during the restart process with 1.3, some icons do not finish redrawing on the task bar before the driver is started again.
Is this with Windows 10 or 11? I'm not seeing the problem with Windows 10 regardless of the DPI. I don't think the redrawing has anything to do with the problem. That shouldn't affect actions after the redrawing is complete.
08-25-2022, 01:47 AM (Last edited: 08-25-2022, 01:47 AM by sunurnuts)
can u make a setting to show and change the DPMS settings (power saving settings on the monitor EDID) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_D...ata_format Byte 24, Bits 7, 6, 5.

i changed this manually and it seems to make the monitor more responsive.
do you have any information on how the DPMS works (active-off) mode?
08-25-2022, 03:28 PM (Last edited: 08-25-2022, 03:28 PM by JasonMT)
Is there a way to enable HDMI Forum VRR (not FreeSync) on AMD RX6000 GPU for TVs that don't support FreeSync?