Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
01-03-2023, 05:57 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(12-30-2022 04:30 AM)alexaedita Wrote:  Just went from 6700XT to 7900XT.
On 6700XT I was able to force 4.2.0 Chroma to get my 4K TV 60HZ do a 120 HZ with 2.0 HDMI. Not so much with 7900XT. Am I to assume that is a driver issue?
Report EDID overrides not working with the 7900XT to AMD using their bug reporting tool: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/amdbrt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2023, 03:36 PM
(01-03-2023 05:56 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-02-2023 10:07 PM)p14t1pu516 Wrote:  hi toastyx, happy new year. It worked exporting and installing the .exe file. Everything works well. When pc starts, and the motherboard logo appears, it blinks for a moment, I guess that's when it changes to dvi. it's okay? thanks for all
Changes don't take effect until Windows starts and the graphics driver loads. If it works then there's no problem.

Thanks for all my friend. Just to know, why does this hdmi bad quality problem happen? It happens to me on the 3 TVs that I have, but i connect the pc to a friend's tv and it looked good quality.
thanks
01-03-2023, 04:35 PM
(01-03-2023 03:36 PM)p14t1pu516 Wrote:  Thanks for all my friend. Just to know, why does this hdmi bad quality problem happen? It happens to me on the 3 TVs that I have, but i connect the pc to a friend's tv and it looked good quality.
Many reasons, but it's mostly badly-designed TVs.

1. Sharpening - Some TVs sharpen the image by default, which can affect text quality, but this can often be disabled in the TV's settings. PC monitors usually don't sharpen by default.

2. Some TVs will accept 4:4:4 chroma but only display 4:2:2, which can cause colored text to be blurry. Some TVs may also behave differently with RGB vs. YCbCr. PC monitors normally support RGB 4:4:4.

3. When using RGB, the range can be either 0-255 or 16-235. If the PC and the TV aren't set to the same range, the colors can appear overcontrasted or washed out. PC monitors normally use 0-255 for RGB. YCbCr is always 16-235.

4. Overscan can cause unwanted scaling and clip the edges, but you didn't mention this issue.

TVs usually disable this stuff when receiving a DVI signal or when using non-TV resolutions.
01-03-2023, 08:39 PM
(01-03-2023 04:35 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-03-2023 03:36 PM)p14t1pu516 Wrote:  Thanks for all my friend. Just to know, why does this hdmi bad quality problem happen? It happens to me on the 3 TVs that I have, but i connect the pc to a friend's tv and it looked good quality.
Many reasons, but it's mostly badly-designed TVs.

1. Sharpening - Some TVs sharpen the image by default, which can affect text quality, but this can often be disabled in the TV's settings. PC monitors usually don't sharpen by default.

2. Some TVs will accept 4:4:4 chroma but only display 4:2:2, which can cause colored text to be blurry. Some TVs may also behave differently with RGB vs. YCbCr. PC monitors normally support RGB 4:4:4.

3. When using RGB, the range can be either 0-255 or 16-235. If the PC and the TV aren't set to the same range, the colors can appear overcontrasted or washed out. PC monitors normally use 0-255 for RGB. YCbCr is always 16-235.

4. Overscan can cause unwanted scaling and clip the edges, but you didn't mention this issue.

TVs usually disable this stuff when receiving a DVI signal or when using non-TV resolutions.

understood, thank you very much for your help and attention
01-04-2023, 01:16 AM
(01-01-2023 12:34 AM)trankillity Wrote:  I'm trying to determine the settings to use to enable 2560x1080 on my Alienware AW3423DW. I have been able to use the default settings to add the resolution at the desired refresh, however there is a thin bezel around the display which shows GPU artifacting of stuff rendered at the edge of frame. What settings do I need to change to effectively "overscan" the image?
You can't overscan with a custom resolution. Use GPU scaling if the monitor can't display the resolution correctly.

Hmm, I am already using GPU scaling. I believe what's happening is that because it's an OLED, there's a bezel around the image where the monitor will offset the image a pixel or two every 10 minutes or so to prevent burn in. Just in official resolutions, this is blacked out/overlaid with a border - while in the custom resolution, it's black but still renders what's at the edge of the screen.

Using the standard Nvidia custom resolution works and prevents this artifcating - however Nvidia's implementation doesn't allow for HDR in these custom resolutions (which is how I was directed to CRU). Seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place! Guess I may need to just eat the performance loss and stick to the native 3440x1440 resolution :/
01-04-2023, 03:39 AM
(12-30-2022 03:22 AM)micfiygd Wrote:  Yeah, I have all of those options there.

This is what I have:

https://imgur.com/a/qVxt88i
Show me the whole EDID. Export a file and post it here. What GPU are you using? Have you asked Sonos support?

I have a GTX 1660 ti.

EDID Export:

.bin  EDID.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 107)

I haven't reached out to Sonos support since other devices are getting 5.1 without any problems.
01-04-2023, 01:52 PM
(01-03-2023 05:57 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-30-2022 04:30 AM)alexaedita Wrote:  Just went from 6700XT to 7900XT.
On 6700XT I was able to force 4.2.0 Chroma to get my 4K TV 60HZ do a 120 HZ with 2.0 HDMI. Not so much with 7900XT. Am I to assume that is a driver issue?
Report EDID overrides not working with the 7900XT to AMD using their bug reporting tool: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/amdbrt

Thank you sir. So AMD has to update their driver for it to work, correct?
01-05-2023, 06:04 PM
(11-23-2021 02:51 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-22-2021 05:33 AM)chef_pooh Wrote:  I've been trying to get my Apple Pro Display XDR to show its full 6k resolution over Thunderbolt 3 on my Windows desktop, and I'm looking for some help. My motherboard (ASRock x570 ITX TB3) has a TitanRidge TB3 controller with DP1.4, so there's enough bandwidth to support 6k...but, as reported by others ( https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/app...t-29114824 ), Windows doesn't seem to expose a 6k resolution when using TB3. On the other hand, I'm able to support 5k with 10 bits (or even 12, despite the monitor only being 10 bit), which is more bandwidth than 6k8bit -- so I'm convinced this is an EDID problem.
Can you describe how everything is connected? From what I've read, you need two DisplayPort cables from the NVIDIA GPU to the Titan Ridge controller, but I only see one DisplayPort input on the motherboard. The 6K resolutions don't fit within the max pixel clock for DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 HBR3 (1080 MHz pixel clock at 8 bpc), so either it requires two streams or display stream compression (DSC). Maybe the Titan Ridge controller is preventing DSC from working. Why not connect the monitor directly to the video card using the Moshi USB-C to DisplayPort cable?

I don't think anything is wrong with the EDID. The reason CRU doesn't list the monitor is because the reported EDID in the registry is supposed to be the first 128 bytes only, but apparently that changed with Windows 11, and your monitor is reporting 5 extension blocks, while older drivers only supported up to 3, so CRU saw too much data and failed to process the monitor. I will fix that in the next version. For now, try this: https://www.monitortests.com/CRU-EXT.zip

This post has a lot of great detail on how Apple accomplishes 6k60 using Thunderbolt 3. You don't need more than a DisplayPort 1.4 cable -- with DSC, you can run 6k60@10bit at 14.66GB/s, which leaves enough for 5GB/s USB 3.0 over Thunderbolt.

I have recently upgraded to the Pro Art X670E, where the JHL8540 Controller lets me get full 6k60@10bit over a TB3 cable using the iGPU. However, when I connect the DisplayPort passthrough from the GPU to the Motherboard, I get a black screen. After Chrome Remote Desktoping to the computer, I see it's connected at 6k60 6bpc, which I don't think the display supports. Is there a way I can set a custom resolution to force the correct settings since it looks like Intel's TB4 controller is doing odd things? Of note, I'm unable to set a custom detailed resolution at 6k -- the text is red. I think CRU doesn't account for DSC since those resolutions are possible over DisplayPort 1.4, right?

Would appreciate any help!
01-06-2023, 03:37 AM
(01-05-2023 06:04 PM)chef_pooh Wrote:  I have recently upgraded to the Pro Art X670E, where the JHL8540 Controller lets me get full 6k60@10bit over a TB3 cable using the iGPU. However, when I connect the DisplayPort passthrough from the GPU to the Motherboard, I get a black screen. After Chrome Remote Desktoping to the computer, I see it's connected at 6k60 6bpc, which I don't think the display supports. Is there a way I can set a custom resolution to force the correct settings since it looks like Intel's TB4 controller is doing odd things? Of note, I'm unable to set a custom detailed resolution at 6k -- the text is red. I think CRU doesn't account for DSC since those resolutions are possible over DisplayPort 1.4, right?
No, that's not correct. Read the first post for detailed resolution limitations, but there's no point in adding a custom 6k resolution anyway because the monitor already defines the correct 6k resolutions. DisplayPort only drops down to 6 bpc if there's a bandwidth limitation, so something is wrong with this setup.
01-06-2023, 03:37 AM
(01-04-2023 01:52 PM)alexaedita Wrote:  Thank you sir. So AMD has to update their driver for it to work, correct?
Yes.