Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
02-16-2023, 05:50 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(02-15-2023 08:43 PM)jburleson115 Wrote:  Hi @ToastyX Please help I have a BenQ XL2540 and a AMD 5700xt im using a resolution of 1550x1080 to acheive stretched res for fortnite. everything works fine when I configure the settings that I Would like I can play fortnite, browse the web, and everything but as soon as I turn my pc off, return to it the next day my pc will act fine for about 20 mins, and then the screen will go black no matter what I cant get the display to come back on. So im forced to restart my PC once again only to return with my AMD drivers deleted this time around. This happens to me everytime, I can download my amd drivers back, and its fixed again but as soon as I turn my PC off when its fixed thats when I run into issues again, and have to download my drivers back again. do you know what may be causing this?
That's not normal. The driver shouldn't uninstall itself. Are you sure it's uninstalled and not just disabled? The driver might have crashed and stayed disabled after rebooting, which could indicate a hardware problem. If that's the case, running restart.exe that comes with CRU will enable the driver again, or you can enable it in Device Manager.

If it's actually uninstalled, Windows Update will try to upgrade the driver if it sees an older driver, but that shouldn't happen if you have a recent version installed.

First download the latest driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/releas...win-23-2-1

Then download DDU: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driv...aller-DDU-

Then physically disconnect your computer from the Internet so Windows Update doesn't interfere. Then run DDU in Windows safe mode to completely uninstall all traces of AMD's driver. Then install the latest driver that you downloaded while still disconnected from the Internet. Then after installing and rebooting, you can connect to the Internet again.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-16-2023, 05:50 AM
(02-13-2023 11:47 PM)Imgquest Wrote:  Hi guys. First of all I want to thank you for taking your time to read this. I’ll try to be concise.

Since this is my first time with dual monitors and a semi high end PC (Samsung TV UN40EH5000G - Gigabyte G27F2 – RX570 8gb) I’ve never had this problem before. A 60hz FHD TV without Freesync through HDMI (2.0 I guess, It came with the G27F2 monitor) and a 165hz IPS FHD HDR ready monitor with Freesync through a Displayport 1.4

After setting it all up I find that my GPU’s core clock and memory are higher than usual while idle in desktop (usually 300 mhz – 300mhz. After dual setup, core 588mhz – mem maxed to 1750). Worried of course I started searching and reading until I found this place. Thanks for all the information provided, definitely a whole world.

Even though I learnt a lot of new things I’m still new to this. I tried CRU settings for Automatic PC, CVT RB and manually changing vertical blanking and I was still unable to stabilize GPU clocks. Also when I tried CVT RB some spaces of the screen remained pure white.

Having already disconnected the TV I was still trying to solve this Timing problem with the G27F 2. Finally I found a solution by creating a custom resolution with amd’s adrenalin. Lowering refresh rates to 142 and selecting CVTRB but I’d prefer to use CRU.

Nevertheless the whole problem came back when I connected the TV back. I also deleted the custom resolution for the G27F2 until I can find a solution for both screens.

I’m really worried because this means having the GPU’s mem all day maxed and with higher temperatures since I use this station for work and leisure. Not to even mention electricity costs and the obstacle to enjoy without worries my first high end monitor ever that was worth a lot for me.
This is completely normal and not really avoidable if you have two monitors with different refresh rates. When the memory clock changes, the memory has to be retrained, which will distort the screen contents, so this is normally done during the vertical blanking period between refreshes to avoid making the distortion visible. When you have two monitors with different refresh rates, the blanking periods won't be synchronized, so there's no way to change the memory clock without seeing distortion on one of the screens. The issue with single monitors is different and refers to certain monitors not giving enough vertical blanking time to retrain the memory at higher refresh rates, in which case you can just increase the vertical blanking to resolve that.
02-16-2023, 05:58 AM
(02-13-2023 03:03 PM)Igor delfes Wrote:  I have an AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT Graphics Card and I cannot connect to my Samsung Ls22F350FHUXEN monitors. Only the Card's HDMI output works with the Monitor, but the Dsiplayport to HDMI adapters do not. I've tried several configurations, but to no avail.
What adapter are you using? You shouldn't need anything special for a 1080p 60 Hz monitor, so maybe it's an issue with the adapter, or maybe it's an HDCP issue with the monitor when using the adapter.
02-16-2023, 02:37 PM
[/quote]
This is completely normal and not really avoidable if you have two monitors with different refresh rates. When the memory clock changes, the memory has to be retrained, which will distort the screen contents, so this is normally done during the vertical blanking period between refreshes to avoid making the distortion visible. When you have two monitors with different refresh rates, the blanking periods won't be synchronized, so there's no way to change the memory clock without seeing distortion on one of the screens. The issue with single monitors is different and refers to certain monitors not giving enough vertical blanking time to retrain the memory at higher refresh rates, in which case you can just increase the vertical blanking to resolve that.
[/quote]

Thx Toasty! This is really bad news for me but better to be informed and know the risks than to have kept going like nothing at all.

Guess I'll just disconnect the 60hz TV and save for 120hz 4k TV (dreaming doesn't cost anything).

Thx again for your time.
02-16-2023, 03:03 PM
(02-16-2023 05:50 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-16-2023 02:40 AM)Neobioz Wrote:  Hello @ToastyX ! I have a Samsung G9 Odissey screen I use it with the PBP function which gives me two screens. They are connected to an MSI RTX 4080 Supprim X with Windows 11. Unfortunately my display port 1 is detected as screen 2 and vice versa for display port 2 by Windows. Before I had an RTX 2080 and when I had the problem with this same screen, I used your software (RESET ALL) to redefine the identification of the monitor but since I am on the RTX 4080 impossible to make the change identification. Do you have a solution please or is it necessary to update the CRU software ? Thank you for your answer and sorry for my approximate English I am French.
You can set the main screen in the Windows display settings. CRU doesn't have control over that.

Thank you for your reply. Defining the main screen in the settings does not change the identification it just puts my screen identified in 2 as the main screen. This is not my goal but to modify the identifications. It does not matter, thank you anyway, but I ended up plugging my 2nd display port into my motherboard and I have the correct identifications.
For information, the .exe called RESET ALL really allowed me to change these identifications when I had my 2080, why I don't know. Thanks again and good luck for the future.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-16-2023, 05:13 PM (Last edited: 02-16-2023, 11:02 PM by oneils)
Hello. I have a CRT Monitor (Compaq p920). The monitor specs indicate it can do 30 to 108khz on the horizontal frequency:

http://www.compaq.com/products/quickspec...84_na.HTML

I am not sure what that means.

I'd like to add detailed resolutions for 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768, with high refresh rates. I am using a Windows 10 machine with a gtx 770. I have the monitor connected to the video card using a vga cable (from the monitor) and a vga/dvi adapter plugged into the video card's dvi-A port.

Is there something I should be aware of before doing this (e.g., can I risk damaging the monitor?). Any advice?

Thank you.

EDIT: I had tried to add custom resolutions using nvidia control panel and they looked awful. Really blurry.

So, just now, I used this tool and created a "detailed" resolution of 1024 x 768 @ 120hz. That apparently needs "99khz" or so. I didn't want to go too close to the "max" of "108khz" (I think I am getting the hang of this?).

It looks great! I chose "automatic crt" as the "timing" standard. Thank you for this awesome tool!
02-17-2023, 12:17 AM (Last edited: 02-17-2023, 12:20 AM by jburleson115)
(02-16-2023 05:50 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-15-2023 08:43 PM)jburleson115 Wrote:  Hi @ToastyX Please help I have a BenQ XL2540 and a AMD 5700xt im using a resolution of 1550x1080 to acheive stretched res for fortnite. everything works fine when I configure the settings that I Would like I can play fortnite, browse the web, and everything but as soon as I turn my pc off, return to it the next day my pc will act fine for about 20 mins, and then the screen will go black no matter what I cant get the display to come back on. So im forced to restart my PC once again only to return with my AMD drivers deleted this time around. This happens to me everytime, I can download my amd drivers back, and its fixed again but as soon as I turn my PC off when its fixed thats when I run into issues again, and have to download my drivers back again. do you know what may be causing this?
That's not normal. The driver shouldn't uninstall itself. Are you sure it's uninstalled and not just disabled? The driver might have crashed and stayed disabled after rebooting, which could indicate a hardware problem. If that's the case, running restart.exe that comes with CRU will enable the driver again, or you can enable it in Device Manager.

If it's actually uninstalled, Windows Update will try to upgrade the driver if it sees an older driver, but that shouldn't happen if you have a recent version installed.

First download the latest driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/releas...win-23-2-1

Then download DDU: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driv...aller-DDU-

Then physically disconnect your computer from the Internet so Windows Update doesn't interfere. Then run DDU in Windows safe mode to completely uninstall all traces of AMD's driver. Then install the latest driver that you downloaded while still disconnected from the Internet. Then after installing and rebooting, you can connect to the Internet again.

I tried this, and im still receiving the black screens I literally done everything you said im on latest drivers, and everything, I found out when clicking restart64 it re-enables the drivers but I will get a black screen within 20 or so minutes, and drivers are disabled again? what could possibly be wrong is my GPU screwed up possibly? I may have failed to mention that this use to not occur on older AMD drivers I use to be able to turn on, and play games right away all the time with zero issues on older drivers.
02-17-2023, 08:55 AM
Hello,

I just found out this great utility and I would like to ask you about some help as I don't know where to find the solution Confused

Display:
- LG L245WP-BN (official LG drivers installed) connected to my miniPC via HDMI cable

PC:
- Intel NUC (CPU: i5-5250/8GB RAM/GPU: Intel HD Graphics 6000) with 64bit Windows 10 Pro

I was trying to connect this old display to my miniPC but the whole screen is cropped/shifted as can be seen at attached photos.

I was trying to check and overwrite the EDID of the display (EDID dumped via Phoenix EDID Designer) but as far as I know these problems are usually connected to NVIDIA GPUs. Anyway, I checked the EDID of the display in registry (regedit) but the table is very the same as the result from Phoenix EDID so there was nothing to change.

When I launch the CRU, there are also no other extension slots that could be deleted.

Do you have any idea how to solve this problem? I don't want to throw the display in the trash as it is basically OK Undecided

Thanks a lot for your help!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-18-2023, 06:45 PM
Hi, having a bit of a strange issue.

So, I have a video wall that should run native at 672x384. When plugged into my MacBook Pro 2015 running windows, it seemingly picks up this resolution automatically and it all runs fine.

However, when on my Lenovo laptop (AMD with Radeon graphics/RTX3060), windows only sees it at 1024x768, 800x600, and 640x480). When opening CRU, it automatically picked up the right resolution (672x384) within detailed resolutions, however even upon restart of the display drivers it does not show up in the windows display resolution box.

Do you know what I would need to do to make it appear as an available resolution?

Thanks!
02-20-2023, 02:49 AM
Hi @ToastyX, I have a few concerns and issues. I have a LG27GN7 240hz monitor, and I am trying to get a resolution of 1720x1080 using CRU.

To begin, when I try to edit my extension block timings the only 1920x1080 option is 144hz when my monitor is 240hz. There is no 240hz option so naturally, I manually changed the hertz to 240 after pressing edit on the detailed resolution of 1920x1080 @143.980 Hz (I have included an image). I am confused as to why I did not have a 1920x1080 @240hz option come up for me.

After copying the timings, deleting all standard resolutions and creating a new one at 1920x1080 @60HZ and pasting the timings into a new detailed resolution, where I had to change the hertz to 240hz from 143.980hz again. I run restart64, and put on the 1720x1080 @240hz res on from the list mode in windows.

After putting on this new res I created, I get a black vertical bar going down the middle of my screen and I have no clue why. I do not know if it is because I had edited the hertz of the resolution in CRU to 240hz when it was originally 140hz even though my monitor is 240hz.

Please help me, I don't know why I am getting a black bar in the middle of my screen

Thank you.