Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-28-2023, 05:05 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(11-17-2023 02:22 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-15-2023 10:20 PM)jeffeh12133 Wrote:  Hey, I have a quick question. I currently use a Acer XB253Q GP via DisplayPort. I've been messing around with CRU and I noticed that, by default, my native resolution is detailed 1920x1080 @ 60hz but it seems like there is also a duplicate 1920x1080 @ 60hz under standard. This is all default. Why is this? Should I delete the "standard" 1920x1080@60 and leave the detailed one? what is the difference exactly? i'm confused. I deleted one and been trying out some games and it looks/feels different. I dont understand why
Displays sometimes define the same resolutions multiple ways even though it's not necessary. Likely it's also listed as a TV resolution in the CTA-861 extension block. The detailed resolution should be taking precedence anyway if the same resolution exists. The problem with standard resolutions is there's no guarantee it will use any particular timing parameters. The driver is supposed to use the DMT standard first, which happens to match the CTA-861 standard for 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz, so likely they are the exact same anyway. For other resolutions, they tend to favor timing parameters intended for CRT monitors that use more bandwidth, which is why I don't recommend using standard resolutions for anything other than lower resolutions. Also Windows only cares about the resolution part of the first detailed resolution when determining the native resolution, so it doesn't matter if the highest refresh rate is somewhere else.
Well explained, much appreciated for the knowledge. I have some more questions.

1) My panel is "true 8-bit color without FRC" and I want this to be the case by removing dithering via nvidia CP and keeping my monitor at 8bit with Full RGB range to eliminate any FRC/dithering because it literally melts my eyes. Do you think it's a good idea to force this by limiting the "Maximum Color Depth" in CRU from 10bit to 8bit? So far no issues but i was just curious. Default is 10bit. Any tips to help me reach my goal without borking native monitor functions too much? I want pure 8bit Full RGB to RGB conversion from GPU with as little processing as possible. Is 1:1 mode in monitor helpful in this case as opposed to "Full Wide" with interpolation?

2) Normally, the monitor is DP 1.2/DP 1.4 (switchable in OSD). It's defaulted to DP 1.4 and I'm using a 1.4 cable for it. (for 1920x1080 PC) I notice sometimes when I set my resolution to the native 1920x1080 @ 60hz; in GPU-Z i see that my DisplayPort cable is actually using 4/4 lanes @ 5.4 Gbps rather than typical 2/4 lanes that it uses 98% of the time across all refresh rates. Typically in the night time. Is this some sort of bug or pixel clock thing since the sync polarity for 60hz is +/+ rather than +/-? I find it odd that it uses 4/4 lanes at 5.4 Gbps at 60hz but uses 2/4 lanes at 5.4 Gbps at 144hz on the same res. Really weird. I'm gonna just assume it's a DP related EMI or connection/link training bug.

3) So by default with fresh CRU display settings there are some settings preloaded from the EDID via nvidia which are confusing. Why does a DisplayPort-connected monitor to a PC have CTA-861 data blocks such as "Colorimetry" (with xvYCC, bt2020, and other modes checked + md0), "Audio formats", "Speaker setup" and "HDR Static Metadata". Isn't a VESA DisplayPort supposed to support all of these in a PlugnPlay fashion? Perhaps these are for connecting the monitor to a console I'm assuming? It makes no sense to have Colorimetry for example when I read that it's strictly an HDMI setting. Was curious about that.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-2023, 12:12 AM
(11-28-2023 05:05 PM)jeffeh12133 Wrote:  1) My panel is "true 8-bit color without FRC" and I want this to be the case by removing dithering via nvidia CP and keeping my monitor at 8bit with Full RGB range to eliminate any FRC/dithering because it literally melts my eyes. Do you think it's a good idea to force this by limiting the "Maximum Color Depth" in CRU from 10bit to 8bit? So far no issues but i was just curious. Default is 10bit. Any tips to help me reach my goal without borking native monitor functions too much? I want pure 8bit Full RGB to RGB conversion from GPU with as little processing as possible. Is 1:1 mode in monitor helpful in this case as opposed to "Full Wide" with interpolation?
Changing the maximum color depth to 24-bit (8 bpc) will remove the 10 bpc option so it can't be set accidentally. NVIDIA doesn't do any dithering at 8 bpc full-range RGB, but there's no guarantee the monitor doesn't do its own dithering, which probably can't be disabled if it does. Dithering is usually done by the monitor to provide smooth color adjustments, so without dithering, there would be banding in gradients unless it's displaying the native colors of the panel, which would require no color space conversions and no RGB adjustments. Scaling shouldn't affect dithering.

(11-28-2023 05:05 PM)jeffeh12133 Wrote:  2) Normally, the monitor is DP 1.2/DP 1.4 (switchable in OSD). It's defaulted to DP 1.4 and I'm using a 1.4 cable for it. (for 1920x1080 PC) I notice sometimes when I set my resolution to the native 1920x1080 @ 60hz; in GPU-Z i see that my DisplayPort cable is actually using 4/4 lanes @ 5.4 Gbps rather than typical 2/4 lanes that it uses 98% of the time across all refresh rates. Typically in the night time. Is this some sort of bug or pixel clock thing since the sync polarity for 60hz is +/+ rather than +/-? I find it odd that it uses 4/4 lanes at 5.4 Gbps at 60hz but uses 2/4 lanes at 5.4 Gbps at 144hz on the same res. Really weird. I'm gonna just assume it's a DP related EMI or connection/link training bug.
1920x1080 @ 144 Hz at 8 bpc only requires 4-lane HBR (4x2.7 Gbps) or 2-lane HBR2 (2x5.4 Gbps), and 60 Hz would never need more than that even at 12 bpc, so I don't know what would cause it to use 4x5.4 Gbps. It shouldn't matter what mode is used anyway because the end result is the same. I don't even see the point of the DP 1.4 option when DP 1.2 supports all the bandwidth required. Maybe 1.4 is required for HDR. The sync polarity should have nothing to do with this.

(11-28-2023 05:05 PM)jeffeh12133 Wrote:  3) So by default with fresh CRU display settings there are some settings preloaded from the EDID via nvidia which are confusing. Why does a DisplayPort-connected monitor to a PC have CTA-861 data blocks such as "Colorimetry" (with xvYCC, bt2020, and other modes checked + md0), "Audio formats", "Speaker setup" and "HDR Static Metadata". Isn't a VESA DisplayPort supposed to support all of these in a PlugnPlay fashion? Perhaps these are for connecting the monitor to a console I'm assuming? It makes no sense to have Colorimetry for example when I read that it's strictly an HDMI setting. Was curious about that.
CTA-861 data blocks are not specific to HDMI. DisplayPort supports colorimetry, audio, and HDR.
(11-28-2023 12:54 PM)Shaunuss Wrote:  I bought a Samsung UN40H6400 TV to use as a spare monitor on occasion. These allegedly have a 120Hz panel due to being a 3d TV, but only 60Hz max is available in Windows.

I've used CRU to create 1920x1080 120Hz but it is not selectable in the advanced display options. I've tried the various restart exes, I've restarted the computer, I've added this custom resolution and refresh in all three types of resolution definition panels. I just can't heyy it to actually show up ton choose this option for Windows. Even under list all modes.
How did you create 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz? What GPU? Run this and post the test.txt file here: https://www.monitortests.com/EDID-test.zip
(11-28-2023 12:41 AM)b0utamine Wrote:  Hi Toasty,

Hoping you can help me disable DSC on my Samsung s90c. My goal is to enable DLDSR on the nvidia control panel which I believe DSC to be the culprit for it not showing up there. This is on a 4090 build.

I have your modified CRU you created for L337Fool that fixed the extension block issue with that panel. So far I've tried unchecking all DSC boxes and checking 'not supported' in that section (see attached image) then restarted graphics drivers, turned off game mode, and switched to 120 Hz. No luck so far, and it also says 'restart required' beside the panel name. Since I don't really know what i'm doing i'll take any further suggestions!

P.S. just donated to your Patreon as a token of gratitude for your work Smile
Thanks. NVIDIA's driver is broken and ignores EDID overrides for any display affected by the extension block issue. This needs to be reported to NVIDIA. The modified CRU only lets you read the first extension block and can't work around NVIDIA's issue, so you can't use CRU with the S90C until they fix this.
(11-27-2023 07:08 PM)Brysen Wrote:  Was wondering if there was any way to fix the PG27AQN or ADA. bc not being able to set a custom res is pissing me off lol
Did you report the issue to NVIDIA? NVIDIA's driver ignores EDID overrides for any display affected by the extension block issue, so you can't use CRU until they fix this. For adding lower resolutions, you can use this: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...Editor-SRE
(11-27-2023 05:56 PM)carsar Wrote:  I have noname 144hz monitor with gsync support(uncertified). So gsync can be enabled and I even see how smooth it is. However, there is 1 HUGE problem: at some hz/fps values (sometime 55/110hz, sometime 50/100hz) this monitor blanks for a few miliseconds? frameskips and halfscreen flickers. I really dont know what can cause such behavior. Did anybody faced this problem and solved it? I tried different VRR ranges, difrferent HZ(overclocking to 155hz changes flicker values to 65/130, 120hz changes to 45/90). The only way is to lower max HZ to 90, which fixes flickering....but it is just half of max HZ of my monitor.
That seems like a flaw in the monitor that would need to be fixed by the manufacturer.
(11-26-2023 06:16 PM)Beholder Wrote:  Hi, I have a ultra portable 8 inch laptop from Aliexpress with AlderLake n100 CPU with integrated intel uhd. This laptop has a several names such Topton P8, Crelander P8, etc. 8 inch lcd panel is a portrait-oriented and has 800x1280 resolution.
In windows 11 settings I able to set a native 800x1280(1280x800 in landscape), 768x1280(1280x768 in landscape), 720x1280(1280x720 in landscape), 600x1280(1280x600 in landscape), nothing more. In adapter settings 640x480 and 800x600 is available too, but in wrong orientation. Horizontal (640x480, 800x600) for portrait mode and vertical (600x800, 480x640) for lanscape. I tried CRU to add custom resolution with correct proportions such as 600x960 but with no effect. Custom resolutions are not appears in windows settings. Maybe I doing so wrong or this intel integrated chip is not supported by CRU? I using a latest drivers from intel.
Intel often does not allow EDID overrides for laptop screens, and laptop screens normally can't display non-native resolutions without GPU scaling anyway. You would need to create a scaled resolution, but Intel doesn't provide a way to do that either as far as I know.
(11-26-2023 05:43 PM)mabarskuy Wrote:  Hello, I have a TCL C835 and want to change the max rate from 48Gbps to 40Gbps because of random blackout, but after restart, windows just blink and unresponsive, need to reset thru safe mode. Tried anything simple like removing resolution, same symptoms. My driver version is 546.17, any help would be appreciated, thanks!
That's a driver bug that needs to be reported to NVIDIA. Make sure you have Windows set to a resolution, refresh rate, and color depth that doesn't require 48 Gbps.
(11-26-2023 04:52 PM)franco1958 Wrote:  I wanted to ask if you could helpo me out please.
i have a laptop lenovo thinkpad z13, with AMD Ryzen 7.
usually i cannot use monitoirs with refresh rate of 60hrz, but i have to bring them up to 65hrz at least or even lower at 50hrz or less. as i have a condition called photosensitivity and at 60hrz gives me headache.

usually i manage using CRU to change the laptop refresh rate. However with th9is particular monitor, i iuse CRU, and gives me the varpus others refresh rate values, but when i try to change them, the display always comes back with 60hrz.
any hep you could give me is very welcome.
i like this laptop and wish i can use it, but i cannot unless i manage to solve this issue.
Refresh rate does not affect photosensitivity. I don't know what you mean by always comes back with 60 Hz.
(11-22-2023 03:49 PM)Aeropro Wrote:  I have a lenovo laptop with model 14kib, so for some time i was using an older driver of intel as it supported custom resolution but then it started to create some issue and performance bottleneck or something and had to switch to a new driver but as ya know intel command centre removed custom resolution so I used cru as my only way to add custom resolution and after some research and experiments I was able to get the resolution of 768x432 but i want 1024x576 and it doesn't just show in supported modes listed in intel command centre while other resolutions included the 768x432 one was also there, so pls can anyone help? I am wandering for 2 weeks for a solution
How did you get 768x432? Intel often does not allow EDID overrides for laptop screens, and laptop screens normally can't display non-native resolutions without GPU scaling anyway. You would need to create a scaled resolution, but Intel doesn't provide a way to do that either as far as I know.