Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
02-04-2013, 02:15 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
hi everyone.
just downloaded the tool, but i get "no displays found in the registry". any thoughts?

has it something to do with "-Display must report a usable EDID"
i don't know what does that mean

thx in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2013, 12:07 PM (Last edited: 02-04-2013, 01:00 PM by Saladien)
hi,
i think everything is setup fine
[Image: http://www.abload.de/img/desktopdvu9x.png]
but when i switch to a higher resolution my monitor says "no optimal mode"
but with this tool http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=366244
it worked without a problem until the new drivers came out.
as you can see the pixelclock on that tool is 154 but at your tool its 268.63 and thats strange because it worked before(with that tool) could you please update your tool so that it works too Smile.
Maybe im doing something wrong.
Greetings
Saladien
02-04-2013, 10:46 PM
CRU uses EDID overrides to add monitor resolutions. There's no way to make higher resolutions scale down with EDID overrides. It was never intended for that purpose.

Higher resolutions will not work unless the monitor can handle them, and the video driver would have to be modified to go beyond 165 MHz with a single-link DVI monitor.

The pixel clock is the total number of pixels per second including blanking:

Horizontal Total * Vertical Total * Refresh Rate = Pixel Clock

The other tool uses the ADL APIs to create scaled resolutions, so the pixel clock doesn't change because the output resolution doesn't change.

(02-04-2013 02:15 AM)alientorni Wrote:  just downloaded the tool, but i get "no displays found in the registry". any thoughts?

has it something to do with "-Display must report a usable EDID"
i don't know what does that mean
Either the monitor is not reporting a valid EDID, or the video card is not receiving DDC data. That can happen if the cable is missing the DDC data pin or if you're using a KVM switch. What monitor do you have?
02-05-2013, 02:52 AM (Last edited: 02-05-2013, 02:53 AM by alientorni)
a samnsung 943nwx. it's dsub, but i'm using a dvi adapter cause gpu havn't dsub conector. could be that?

could you easily explain me what is ddc data pin / kvm switch?

thx for reply.
02-05-2013, 12:38 PM
It could be the adapter, but adapters usually have all the pins.

There's a diagram on this page: http://www.l-com.com/content/Audio-Video-Tutorial.html

Pin 12 is the DDC data pin, but you also need pins 9 and 15. Make sure the cable has all 15 pins. Old cables might not have all the pins.

If you were using a KVM switch, you'd know it. KVM switches let you use one keyboard, mouse, and display with multiple computers. Sometimes they can interfere with the DDC transmission.
02-05-2013, 06:19 PM
thank you very much for the help.

dsub cable is "with ddc" and dvi adapter is DVI-A (analog only). strange :/

understood what kvm is. i had googled what was it but thought it was a different thing, as i couldn't relate it to my problem Big Grin
02-07-2013, 10:54 AM (Last edited: 02-07-2013, 06:09 PM by techhit)
Hi.

First of all. Just wanted to thank you for making this app. I've been using your CRU utillity perfectly up until tonight where I thought I'd try the ATI Catalyst 13.2 Beta drivers, after which point, I could no longer use my custom resolution of 1920x1080 @ 75hz anymore. So I uninstalled 13.2 beta, and reinstalled 13.1, and no matter what I still cannot get 75hz @ 1920x1080.

I've checked all the usual settings that I've been able to get this working in the past.
- Run CRU.exe as Administrator (then reboot).
- Deleted the custom resolutions and re-added them.
- Ensured "Alternate DVI mode" is ticked (also tried unticking).

But no joy. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Are you choosing the correct entry from the monitor drop-down list? Sometimes installing a new driver version will create a new entry, so you'd have to copy the settings over to the new entry.

Usually the entry is marked as "(active)" in the list, but I don't see that in the screen shot. I need to come up with a better way to detect which entries are active.

If you're not sure which one it is, you can delete all the monitors in the list, then reboot. Connected monitors will be detected during boot.
02-07-2013, 12:20 PM
(02-05-2013 06:19 PM)alientorni Wrote:  dsub cable is "with ddc" and dvi adapter is DVI-A (analog only). strange :/
That's fine. Is the monitor listed as "Generic non-PnP monitor" in the device manager?
02-07-2013, 05:53 PM (Last edited: 02-07-2013, 06:07 PM by techhit)
(02-07-2013 12:10 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Are you choosing the correct entry from the monitor drop-down list? Sometimes installing a new driver version will create a new entry, so you'd have to copy the settings over to the new entry.

Usually the entry is marked as "(active)" in the list, but I don't see that in the screen shot. I need to come up with a better way to detect which entries are active.

If you're not sure which one it is, you can delete all the monitors in the list, then reboot. Connected monitors will be detected during boot.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Yes there is only one entry for my monitor (LG IPS234v). There are 3 other entries for my Samsung TV connected via HDMI

I deleted the IPS234 entry and re-added my custom resolution, but that hasn't worked either.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)