Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-11-2017, 01:00 AM (Last edited: 07-11-2017, 01:00 AM by octiceps)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(07-11-2017 12:44 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-10-2017 10:41 PM)octiceps Wrote:  One more question, do the resolutions I create with CRU persist through GPU driver installations/updates?
Usually, but not always. Keep in mind if you use something like DDU, it will wipe out the monitors as well. You can export the configuration to a file to import later if needed.

Ah thanks. DDU was exactly what I had in mind.

Great program. Was having problems with some games not recognizing my higher refresh rate after overclocking my monitor, but your program fixed that right up. Threw a beer your way, keep up the awesome work. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2017, 03:47 AM (Last edited: 07-11-2017, 03:59 AM by seag)
Hi, i recently overclocked my monitor from 60z to 120hz, it's all workin perfectly with CRU, but in game (cs:go), i want to put an 4:3 stretched resolution (1024:768) but the program forces it to run it at 4:3 (black bars). If i dont execute the CRU settings the game stretches normally, but when i put on the settings it forces it to 4:3 black bars. is there any option on the program that i am missing out?. Sorry for bad redaction, english isn't my first language. Cheers
07-11-2017, 08:21 AM (Last edited: 07-11-2017, 08:21 AM by octiceps)
I've noticed that when I'm running at the refresh rate created with CRU, if I use the Windows 7 display switcher hotkey (Windows+P), my custom refresh rate disappears from the OS and I have to restart the graphics driver or reboot to make it reappear. Is this a bug or expected behavior?
07-11-2017, 02:09 PM
How do I get the resolution?
I use my pc in tc and now the resolution does not want to return to original!
Help me...
I await your answers!
07-11-2017, 08:41 PM
(07-11-2017 08:21 AM)octiceps Wrote:  I've noticed that when I'm running at the refresh rate created with CRU, if I use the Windows 7 display switcher hotkey (Windows+P), my custom refresh rate disappears from the OS and I have to restart the graphics driver or reboot to make it reappear. Is this a bug or expected behavior?

I managed to fix this problem by making the higher refresh rate the first detailed resolution in the list. This also fixed the colored blank screen I was having when changing resolution in or launching some games when Nvidia DSR was enabled.
07-11-2017, 10:32 PM
(07-11-2017 03:47 AM)seag Wrote:  Hi, i recently overclocked my monitor from 60z to 120hz, it's all workin perfectly with CRU, but in game (cs:go), i want to put an 4:3 stretched resolution (1024:768) but the program forces it to run it at 4:3 (black bars). If i dont execute the CRU settings the game stretches normally, but when i put on the settings it forces it to 4:3 black bars. is there any option on the program that i am missing out?. Sorry for bad redaction, english isn't my first language. Cheers

I fixed it, i just apply zoom from the monitor, if there is any other solution i would love to know.
07-12-2017, 06:44 AM
(07-11-2017 10:32 PM)seag Wrote:  I fixed it, i just apply zoom from the monitor, if there is any other solution i would love to know.
Resolutions in CRU are sent to the monitor, so the scaling is handled by the monitor unless you enable GPU scaling.
07-12-2017, 07:41 AM (Last edited: 07-12-2017, 07:41 AM by octiceps)
(07-11-2017 08:41 PM)octiceps Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 08:21 AM)octiceps Wrote:  I've noticed that when I'm running at the refresh rate created with CRU, if I use the Windows 7 display switcher hotkey (Windows+P), my custom refresh rate disappears from the OS and I have to restart the graphics driver or reboot to make it reappear. Is this a bug or expected behavior?

I managed to fix this problem by making the higher refresh rate the first detailed resolution in the list. This also fixed the colored blank screen I was having when changing resolution in or launching some games when Nvidia DSR was enabled.

Never mind this, the blank screen still happens in games with DSR disabled and sometimes when waking the computer from sleep. The higher refresh rate is not stable.
07-13-2017, 12:26 AM
(07-12-2017 07:41 AM)octiceps Wrote:  Never mind this, the blank screen still happens in games with DSR disabled and sometimes when waking the computer from sleep. The higher refresh rate is not stable.
Any issue that goes away after restarting the graphics driver would be a driver bug. Are you using multiple monitors? Are you using Win+P to duplicate, extend, or switch to the second screen only? I'm not sure what you mean by colored blank screen. Show me what you're doing.
07-13-2017, 07:08 AM (Last edited: 07-13-2017, 07:19 AM by octiceps)
(07-13-2017 12:26 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 07:41 AM)octiceps Wrote:  Never mind this, the blank screen still happens in games with DSR disabled and sometimes when waking the computer from sleep. The higher refresh rate is not stable.
Any issue that goes away after restarting the graphics driver would be a driver bug. Are you using multiple monitors? Are you using Win+P to duplicate, extend, or switch to the second screen only? I'm not sure what you mean by colored blank screen. Show me what you're doing.

These are my CRU settings:

[Image: 9ULGvOp.png]

[Image: hcYCHEj.png]

I'm using single monitor. When I cycle Win+P until it returns to 'Computer only', the screen flashes and 100Hz disappears from Windows. Restarting the graphics driver makes it reappear. Here is what happens.

As for the blank screen, I've narrowed it down to putting the PC to sleep as the common culprit. If I never sleep, I have no issues whatsoever running 100Hz. I can change between 60Hz and 100Hz at will in games and Windows and it works perfectly everywhere without any artifacting or skipping frames. But if I sleep, it blank screens whenever it tries to switch to 100Hz. Here it blanks out when I set 100Hz in Windows after waking up (notice I had no issues before sleeping). It also happens on the login screen immediately after waking if I went to sleep at 100Hz, and when launching any Source Engine game (interestingly enough my other games don't trigger it). The only way to make 100Hz usable again is to restart the graphics driver or reboot and not sleep.