Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-10-2018, 03:48 AM (Last edited: 07-10-2018, 03:51 AM by avetiso)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hello ToastyX,

I'm trying to increase the refresh rate of my LG UD69P-W, which is a 27" 4k display. I'm using a GTX660. I've tried using the CRU tool, however, my refresh rates don't appear in my Windows setting after creating a new profile. I have tried both deleting all but the one profile, as well as simply adding a profile and moving it up to the top of the list. I've googled around this thread and I've seen you recommend disabling the extension block, but I'm not sure what that means as I haven't seen any checkboxes that say "disable extension block" anywhere in the tool. Does this mean simply deleting the extension block that is already there when I run the tool? I'm running the latest driver from Nvidia (398.36), and I have tried this with both GeForce experience installed and not installed. Deleting the standard 60Hz option (the native one) does reflect in Display Settings, however, and leaves me stuck on the 30Hz option. Also, when creating a new profile in LCD - standard, the hertz option becomes red at 74 hertz and higher, and in LCD - native, anything 67 or higher also becomes red.

If you have the time to spare helping me out, I'd much appreciate it. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2018, 06:38 PM
(07-10-2018 03:48 AM)avetiso Wrote:  I'm trying to increase the refresh rate of my LG UD69P-W, which is a 27" 4k display. I'm using a GTX660. I've tried using the CRU tool, however, my refresh rates don't appear in my Windows setting after creating a new profile.
GTX 660 is limited to 540 MHz pixel clock with DisplayPort, and I doubt that monitor will support more than 60 Hz.
07-12-2018, 08:26 PM
I've been reading that it's possible to "force" a Nvidia GPU to function with FreeSync. Is that true?
07-13-2018, 09:42 PM
(07-12-2018 08:26 PM)macaco000 Wrote:  I've been reading that it's possible to "force" a Nvidia GPU to function with FreeSync. Is that true?
Not that I know. Where did you read that?
07-17-2018, 09:17 PM (Last edited: 07-18-2018, 07:17 PM by Srscat)
Question RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Sorry for frequently asked question but how display refresh rate (hz) overclock affects display response time (ms)?

Smth like that?
Dell G3 17" and worst case scenario - LG Panel.
60Hz 25ms by default.
75Hz max overclock.

Before:
60Hz - 60fps - 1 frame per 16ms and 25ms delay
75Hz - 75fps - 1 frame per 13ms and i am lost Blush
07-18-2018, 10:23 PM
(07-17-2018 09:17 PM)Srscat Wrote:  Sorry for frequently asked question but how display refresh rate (hz) overclock affects display response time (ms)?
If the monitor has overdrive, the response time can appear better or worse at different refresh rates depending on how the overdrive is tuned. If the monitor doesn't have overdrive, then it doesn't affect the response time.

(07-17-2018 09:17 PM)Srscat Wrote:  Dell G3 17" and worst case scenario - LG Panel.
60Hz 25ms by default.
75Hz max overclock.

Before:
60Hz - 60fps - 1 frame per 16ms and 25ms delay
75Hz - 75fps - 1 frame per 13ms and i am lost Blush
Are you talking about response time or output lag? Monitors that lag usually can't handle higher refresh rates without skipping frames, but laptop screens usually don't have lag.
07-20-2018, 01:33 PM (Last edited: 07-20-2018, 01:40 PM by Manciuszz)
I encountered an issue that I couldn't find an solution for...

I currently have "MSI GS70 Stealth" laptop and I did succeed in overclocking the built-in display a year back up to 75Hz (Did not try going further, even though I did notice here that some people got it up to 100Hz with no problems on the same or similar laptop). The problem showed up after my disk drive got corrupted and things led me to reinstall Windows 10. I'm trying to overclock the built-in display once more and I can't seem to make it work, so I'm here, now as a last resort, requesting for any ideas or a way to solve this problem.

About the problem:
I followed everything down to the letter, yet the custom resolutions doesn't appear in the resolution changing dropdown menus and etc, even though there is some proof that I did succeed in adding the resolutions? Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about...

[Image: jnJ7OOb.jpg]

As you can see, I'm running the EDID override supported drivers (that were recommended in this thread) - it does say that supported modes are resolutions with 60Hz and 75Hz, yet the dropdown menu doesn't display them? wtf? I tried rebooting the laptop, reseting, restarting drivers via given tools and all kinds of ways to make them appear - no luck... Heck, I even tried checking BIOS settings, maybe after the reinstall I screwed something up, but there doesn't seem to be anything that could have an affect on this, so I'm out of ideas...

Any help would be appreciated
07-22-2018, 04:20 PM
(07-20-2018 01:33 PM)Manciuszz Wrote:  As you can see, I'm running the EDID override supported drivers (that were recommended in this thread) - it does say that supported modes are resolutions with 60Hz and 75Hz, yet the dropdown menu doesn't display them? wtf? I tried rebooting the laptop, reseting, restarting drivers via given tools and all kinds of ways to make them appear - no luck... Heck, I even tried checking BIOS settings, maybe after the reinstall I screwed something up, but there doesn't seem to be anything that could have an affect on this, so I'm out of ideas...
I don't see why that wouldn't work unless there's a pixel clock limit that you happened to avoid last time. Try the "LCD standard" timing parameters, and try making 75 Hz the first detailed resolution. If that doesn't help, try the latest driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27780
07-22-2018, 07:10 PM (Last edited: 07-22-2018, 08:03 PM by Manciuszz)
(07-22-2018 04:20 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-20-2018 01:33 PM)Manciuszz Wrote:  As you can see, I'm running the EDID override supported drivers (that were recommended in this thread) - it does say that supported modes are resolutions with 60Hz and 75Hz, yet the dropdown menu doesn't display them? wtf? I tried rebooting the laptop, reseting, restarting drivers via given tools and all kinds of ways to make them appear - no luck... Heck, I even tried checking BIOS settings, maybe after the reinstall I screwed something up, but there doesn't seem to be anything that could have an affect on this, so I'm out of ideas...
I don't see why that wouldn't work unless there's a pixel clock limit that you happened to avoid last time. Try the "LCD standard" timing parameters, and try making 75 Hz the first detailed resolution. If that doesn't help, try the latest driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27780

Tried all sorts of stuff, including your suggestions - no results. I doubt its a pixel clock limit issue. It's more like a driver issue, cause when I uninstalled Intel HD drivers and rebooted, the laptop defaulted to "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" which had a low resolution with 64Hz refresh rate...
[Image: rPrCiZL.jpg]
So I tried updating to latest drivers, yet before I did that, automatic Windows Update crap managed to install some random version of Intel HD drivers, so I tried testing the CRU stuff on them and also had no results. Therefore, after this failure I disabled "Windows Update" service that stopped automatic installs of random driver software, deleted all graphics drivers (including NVIDIA ones, so I start clean) and rebooted, then installed latest HD drivers and tried changing stuff with CRU again... aaaaaand no results ...

P.S By making the first detailed resolution 75Hz, after rebooting laptop, in the welcome screen, it DOES seem to try changing resolutions, yet defaults back to 60Hz in the end Q.Q

Here's an update on the issue:
After everything else failed, I decided to downgrade the CRU software down to 1.3 from 1.4 and tried changing stuff... and I'm actually getting SOMETHING :O...
[Image: dJ7R7XR.jpg]
Furthermore, I can't seem to reproduce this with 1.4 nor 1.3.1 version
07-22-2018, 11:33 PM
(07-22-2018 07:10 PM)Manciuszz Wrote:  Here's an update on the issue:
After everything else failed, I decided to downgrade the CRU software down to 1.3 from 1.4 and tried changing stuff... and I'm actually getting SOMETHING :O...
The only difference is 1.3 always added a blank extension block to work around an NVIDIA driver bug. Newer versions don't do that if it's not necessary. I don't know why that would add 59 Hz, but you should be able to reproduce it by adding an extension block with nothing in it.

Check the advanced display settings and see if 75 Hz is listed there: right-click on the desktop > Display settings > Advanced display settings > Display adapter properties > Monitor tab

The Microsoft Basic Display Adapter always lists 64 Hz regardless of the actual refresh rate.