Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
12-22-2018, 11:15 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
hi,

I overclocked my two monitors to 80hz using the utility at the start of this thread and they work fine, but when I restart the computer they go back to 60hz. I tried using Nvidia control panel but same 60hz result after a reboot. How can I make them stay overclocked on a reboot ?

2 Monitors I'm using :
Dell UltraSharp U2415 24 Inch IPS 1920x1200 (16:10) 60hz panels.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2018, 10:17 AM
Is anyone using a DisplayPort to vga adapter with an AMD gpu? I'm having some weird problems with my setup, and don't know if it's windows related, gpu drivers or even mobo settings. Few days ago I swaped my gpu for a new one, I was using the native analog output of my older gpu w/o problems.
Thing is, all new gpus only output digital and one of my displays it's a CRT, exceding with ease the 1080p@60hz limit that most of these adapters are made for. I know the adapter is capable of doing the resolutions I'm trying to set, as I tried it in two different computers with nvidia gpu's and neither have the problems I'm facing.

Worst part of it, when I plugged in the adapter for the first time it worked fine at my desired resolution (1600x1200@85hz) for that day, until I decided to clean some parts and change the gpu to another PCI-E position. Then it all started to go wrong, to the point of formatting the whole system and keep having the same problem. This is how the program looks with a clean install,

[Image: LkivZ9e.png]

That manual resolution it's quite different from the crt preset (or the gtf timmings), but that's what loads everytime I conect it to a new DP port. Then I fix the timmings and restart the drivers, but windows only list as max. res that 1280x1024.
It seems like I'm pixel clock limited, because any custom resolution lower than ~175mhz will work fine.

Manually chaning the .inf file didn't work out, neither did patching the drivers.
To my surprise, DP ports seem to have memory, so any changes that I do to the .inf file or CRU stays in that specific port.
12-23-2018, 06:44 PM
I just wanted to bring the following to ToastyX's attention in case they were unaware, the new Intel DCH (UWD) drivers (i.e. the one's you'll now see for 6th-9th gen Intel graphics in their download center) don't seem to work with CRU any more. Entries added to detailed resolutions did not show up either in the settings app or in the UWP Intel control panel. This has been verified on both HD Graphics 500 and HD Graphics 615. CRU worked correctly on both devices with the legacy drivers (6373 and earlier).
12-24-2018, 02:39 PM
(12-23-2018 06:44 PM)xtcrefugee Wrote:  I just wanted to bring the following to ToastyX's attention in case they were unaware, the new Intel DCH (UWD) drivers (i.e. the one's you'll now see for 6th-9th gen Intel graphics in their download center) don't seem to work with CRU any more. Entries added to detailed resolutions did not show up either in the settings app or in the UWP Intel control panel. This has been verified on both HD Graphics 500 and HD Graphics 615. CRU worked correctly on both devices with the legacy drivers (6373 and earlier).
You should bring it up to Intel's attention as well. The only reason they added support for EDID overrides in the first place is because a bunch of people complained.
12-24-2018, 02:44 PM
(12-23-2018 10:17 AM)blutrache Wrote:  Worst part of it, when I plugged in the adapter for the first time it worked fine at my desired resolution (1600x1200@85hz) for that day, until I decided to clean some parts and change the gpu to another PCI-E position. Then it all started to go wrong, to the point of formatting the whole system and keep having the same problem. This is how the program looks with a clean install,

That manual resolution it's quite different from the crt preset (or the gtf timmings), but that's what loads everytime I conect it to a new DP port. Then I fix the timmings and restart the drivers, but windows only list as max. res that 1280x1024.
It seems like I'm pixel clock limited, because any custom resolution lower than ~175mhz will work fine.
The default resolution looks like the VESA DMT standard, which shouldn't be a problem. I get the feeling something might be wrong with the adapter, so it's not running at the correct DisplayPort speed to allow higher pixel clocks.
12-24-2018, 02:46 PM
(12-22-2018 11:15 AM)aindriu80 Wrote:  I overclocked my two monitors to 80hz using the utility at the start of this thread and they work fine, but when I restart the computer they go back to 60hz. I tried using Nvidia control panel but same 60hz result after a reboot. How can I make them stay overclocked on a reboot ?
You shouldn't have to do anything. It's supposed to stay at the last set refresh rate. Either something is causing it to change back to 60 Hz, or there's a driver bug.
12-25-2018, 02:56 AM
I'm starting to read about using this CRU, I have overclocked my monitor in the past to 75hz but I think it was a lower res. But now I am on 1920x1080 native res, I just used nvidia custom res before. I have a Asus VS248H and I was just wondering about the timings? I see so many videos out there about standard or reduced which do you think is best for this monitor? I also have a amd card now and when I tried to overclock it at 1080p it got to 66hz with manual timings I didn't know which setting to try it had cvt, cvt reduced blanking, gtf and dtm. I also got to 74hz but it was a blurry pix elated picture. I would like to use this CRU correctly I assume with proper settings I could get to 75hz or maybe higher just want the safest easiest way. I'll try reading some more but a recommendation for it be awesome.
12-27-2018, 05:00 PM
(12-25-2018 02:56 AM)ReaverG Wrote:  I'm starting to read about using this CRU, I have overclocked my monitor in the past to 75hz but I think it was a lower res. But now I am on 1920x1080 native res, I just used nvidia custom res before. I have a Asus VS248H and I was just wondering about the timings? I see so many videos out there about standard or reduced which do you think is best for this monitor? I also have a amd card now and when I tried to overclock it at 1080p it got to 66hz with manual timings I didn't know which setting to try it had cvt, cvt reduced blanking, gtf and dtm. I also got to 74hz but it was a blurry pix elated picture. I would like to use this CRU correctly I assume with proper settings I could get to 75hz or maybe higher just want the safest easiest way. I'll try reading some more but a recommendation for it be awesome.
If you're using DVI, pixelation beyond 66 Hz sounds like a single-link DVI monitor receiving a dual-link DVI signal. Read the part about pixel clock limits. You can either use "LCD reduced" to keep the pixel clock under 165 MHz, or use the pixel clock patch. Other than that, the timing parameters don't matter much as long as it works.
12-27-2018, 05:39 PM
(12-27-2018 05:00 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-25-2018 02:56 AM)ReaverG Wrote:  I'm starting to read about using this CRU, I have overclocked my monitor in the past to 75hz but I think it was a lower res. But now I am on 1920x1080 native res, I just used nvidia custom res before. I have a Asus VS248H and I was just wondering about the timings? I see so many videos out there about standard or reduced which do you think is best for this monitor? I also have a amd card now and when I tried to overclock it at 1080p it got to 66hz with manual timings I didn't know which setting to try it had cvt, cvt reduced blanking, gtf and dtm. I also got to 74hz but it was a blurry pix elated picture. I would like to use this CRU correctly I assume with proper settings I could get to 75hz or maybe higher just want the safest easiest way. I'll try reading some more but a recommendation for it be awesome.
If you're using DVI, pixelation beyond 66 Hz sounds like a single-link DVI monitor receiving a dual-link DVI signal. Read the part about pixel clock limits. You can either use "LCD reduced" to keep the pixel clock under 165 MHz, or use the pixel clock patch. Other than that, the timing parameters don't matter much as long as it works.
Thanks for the reply, I looked at the monitor it does have a dual link dvi port and so does the gpu but the monitor came with a single link dvi cable and that is what I am using. I will read those parts you told me to read. If I just get a dual link cable would that be better, could I achieve higher Hz than the single link on top of using the lcd reduced?
12-27-2018, 10:10 PM
(12-27-2018 05:39 PM)ReaverG Wrote:  Thanks for the reply, I looked at the monitor it does have a dual link dvi port and so does the gpu but the monitor came with a single link dvi cable and that is what I am using. I will read those parts you told me to read. If I just get a dual link cable would that be better, could I achieve higher Hz than the single link on top of using the lcd reduced?
No, the monitor has single-link DVI. You can't tell by looking at the port. The GPU will always send a dual-link signal beyond 165 MHz, so you have to either keep the pixel clock under 165 MHz or patch the driver to go higher with DVI. The other option is to use HDMI to avoid those limitations. Chances are the monitor has a limit somewhere between 74-85 Hz no matter what the cable.