Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
12-28-2018, 02:35 AM (Last edited: 12-28-2018, 08:34 PM by ReaverG)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(12-28-2018 02:35 AM)ReaverG Wrote:  No, the monitor has single-link DVI. You can't tell by looking at the port. The GPU will always send a dual-link signal beyond 165 MHz, so you have to either keep the pixel clock under 165 MHz or patch the driver to go higher with DVI. The other option is to use HDMI to avoid those limitations. Chances are the monitor has a limit somewhere between 74-85 Hz no matter what the cable.

Alright I changed to hdmi and on lcd standard I got to 70hz, lcd native I believe I got to 66hz and on reduced I got to 75hz. If I use the extension block can I achieve higher yet? I only ask cause if I use it and nothing changes I have to find out how to reverse the extension patch. I have a amd rx580. If not I will just stay at reduced 75hz. I always thought dvi was better than hdmi maybe that was old hdmi cables I don't know guess I learned something from this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2018, 01:07 AM
So I'm attempting to overclock my macbook pro 2017 display using CRU but I'm coming up against some hurdles, basically I need to keep the pixel clock constant or it rapidly gets black screened. This means the best I can get is 61Hz (up from 60hz) by lowering the padding but as you can understand this is a pretty useless overclock. Is there anything else I can do to increase the pixel clock?
12-29-2018, 07:40 PM
Could I use 120 hz in 800x600 in 60 HZ native? This have less bandwidth than 1080p. is it true?
01-03-2019, 07:17 PM
(12-28-2018 02:35 AM)ReaverG Wrote:  Alright I changed to hdmi and on lcd standard I got to 70hz, lcd native I believe I got to 66hz and on reduced I got to 75hz. If I use the extension block can I achieve higher yet? I only ask cause if I use it and nothing changes I have to find out how to reverse the extension patch. I have a amd rx580. If not I will just stay at reduced 75hz. I always thought dvi was better than hdmi maybe that was old hdmi cables I don't know guess I learned something from this.
Those are the same refresh rates you would get with single-link DVI with the 165 MHz pixel clock limit. You shouldn't have to add an extension block if the monitor supports HDMI because it should already have one. If not, you can add one manually, and that might help you go beyond the 165 MHz pixel clock limit. The extension block is not a patch, and everything is easily reversible by following the instructions.
01-03-2019, 07:18 PM
(12-29-2018 01:07 AM)lcass Wrote:  So I'm attempting to overclock my macbook pro 2017 display using CRU but I'm coming up against some hurdles, basically I need to keep the pixel clock constant or it rapidly gets black screened. This means the best I can get is 61Hz (up from 60hz) by lowering the padding but as you can understand this is a pretty useless overclock. Is there anything else I can do to increase the pixel clock?
Sounds like it's not overclockable.
01-03-2019, 07:19 PM
(12-29-2018 07:40 PM)Dannypa Wrote:  Could I use 120 hz in 800x600 in 60 HZ native? This have less bandwidth than 1080p. is it true?
That depends on the monitor. The monitor would have to support 120 Hz regardless of the bandwidth.
01-08-2019, 06:02 AM
Those are the same refresh rates you would get with single-link DVI with the 165 MHz pixel clock limit. You shouldn't have to add an extension block if the monitor supports HDMI because it should already have one. If not, you can add one manually, and that might help you go beyond the 165 MHz pixel clock limit. The extension block is not a patch, and everything is easily reversible by following the instructions.
[/quote]
Sounds good I will give it a shot.
01-09-2019, 12:03 PM
- Have the BenQ XL2546 (DyAc disabled, it causes headaches, which I didn't expect because it didn't happen with my XL2411) and a 1080 Ti.

- It's early and the new nvidia freesync drivers don't come out until next week.

- Does the freesync tweak/hack work at all and does it really only work on hdmi, or will displayport work.

- Has anyone anywhere gotten freesync to work on the BenQ XL2546 at least on an AMD card.
01-11-2019, 05:23 PM
(01-09-2019 12:03 PM)progamingnoob Wrote:  - Does the freesync tweak/hack work at all and does it really only work on hdmi, or will displayport work.
That trick only works with a few monitors, and only with HDMI. The point of the FreeSync data block is to allow editing the HDMI FreeSync range, not to add FreeSync to monitors that don't support it.
01-14-2019, 05:49 PM
Hi all

Is there any way to suppress the "Graphics driver restarted" confirmation popup?

Thanks