Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
01-15-2019, 10:37 AM (Last edited: 01-15-2019, 12:43 PM by TnF)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hello ToastyX and thanks for creating this utility. I have a new workstation laptop here that i borrow from work to use at home until i have funds to build a PC, it is a HP Zbook 17 with coffee lake 8850H and quadro p3200. I successfully overclocked the monitor LGD059E to 100hz@1080p without dropping frames (ufo frame skipping test). All with latest intel and nvidia drivers.

My question is that if i add a resolution over 100hz it will not appear inside the intel graphics control panel. (now that i think about it i haven't checked if it appears inside windows display properties; maybe it is a limit in the intel control panel edit: checked anything above 100hz doesn't appear). Any idea why this happens..also noticed it says that the bit-depth is 6-bit instead of 8-bit..weird.

update:
(12-23-2018 06:44 PM)xtcrefugee Wrote:  I just wanted to bring the following to ToastyX's attention in case they were unaware, the new Intel DCH (UWD) drivers (i.e. the one's you'll now see for 6th-9th gen Intel graphics in their download center) don't seem to work with CRU any more. Entries added to detailed resolutions did not show up either in the settings app or in the UWP Intel control panel. This has been verified on both HD Graphics 500 and HD Graphics 615. CRU worked correctly on both devices with the legacy drivers (6373 and earlier).

Not really; i was with these "legacy" drivers and updated to the latest DCH drivers and my CRU resolutions are still there and work. The only issue is that was supposedly an intel driver bug with these older drivers is the 6-bit bug (according to intel forum posts). However i've noticed the original 1080p@60hz resolution gives 8-bit color depth. Anything above 60hz drops down to 6-bit. As for the methodology i used to update was to use the "have disc" method because the installer wouldn't let me install them, after i did this once it let me re-install them with the installer. No idea what is going on here:/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2019, 03:57 PM (Last edited: 01-15-2019, 03:59 PM by nirkon)
(01-11-2019 05:23 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-09-2019 12:03 PM)progamingnoob Wrote:  - Does the freesync tweak/hack work at all and does it really only work on hdmi, or will displayport work.
That trick only works with a few monitors, and only with HDMI. The point of the FreeSync data block is to allow editing the HDMI FreeSync range, not to add FreeSync to monitors that don't support it.

but could it theoretically add freesync support to monitors that don't support it?

Nvidia released today freesync support for nvidia cards, but it only works through displayport, Is there any way to hack/force the driver to think that freesync is supported with displayport? that would be amazing.
(I tried adding the freesync range to the displayport extension block, but no luck there.)

Anyway, thanks for your work on the CRU, cool piece of software!
01-15-2019, 06:46 PM
(01-15-2019 03:57 PM)nirkon Wrote:  but could it theoretically add freesync support to monitors that don't support it?
The monitor needs to be able to handle variable vertical blanking intervals, which isn't common with HDMI scalers.

(01-15-2019 03:57 PM)nirkon Wrote:  Nvidia released today freesync support for nvidia cards, but it only works through displayport, Is there any way to hack/force the driver to think that freesync is supported with displayport? that would be amazing.
(I tried adding the freesync range to the displayport extension block, but no luck there.)
No, the monitor needs to support adaptive sync.
(01-15-2019 10:37 AM)TnF Wrote:  Hello ToastyX and thanks for creating this utility. I have a new workstation laptop here that i borrow from work to use at home until i have funds to build a PC, it is a HP Zbook 17 with coffee lake 8850H and quadro p3200. I successfully overclocked the monitor LGD059E to 100hz@1080p without dropping frames (ufo frame skipping test). All with latest intel and nvidia drivers.

My question is that if i add a resolution over 100hz it will not appear inside the intel graphics control panel. (now that i think about it i haven't checked if it appears inside windows display properties; maybe it is a limit in the intel control panel edit: checked anything above 100hz doesn't appear). Any idea why this happens..also noticed it says that the bit-depth is 6-bit instead of 8-bit..weird.
Probably bandwidth limitations. DisplayPort has the ability to drop down to 6-bit color when bandwidth is limited, so it's likely the laptop has an embedded DisplayPort (eDP) connection to the panel.
(01-14-2019 05:49 PM)therealbuzzkill Wrote:  Is there any way to suppress the "Graphics driver restarted" confirmation popup?
Either rename it to restart-only.exe or pass the -q parameter.
01-16-2019, 10:56 AM
Hi ToastyX thank you for your beautyfull app,I had used It for a while on my LG ultrawide monitor,today I was testing It for enlarge the freesync range,after putting the valute in the edit (45-75) i clicked apply and restart64,but the PC seems to freezer,but It work in background,and now It freeze everytime after booting normally Windows,in safe mode It start,I tried using reset,but It doesn't seem to work,in HDMI the monitor work perfectly,what di you suggest?
01-16-2019, 03:21 PM
Hi, with the new nvidia drivers that enable adaptive sync is now possible to enable it in some displays. But, for now, only DP connection is recognized.

Is possible to use CRU to trick the driver in seeing a monitor using DVI-D or HDMI as being a Display Port connection?

Thanks. =)
01-16-2019, 03:22 PM (Last edited: 01-16-2019, 03:24 PM by bevibipocu)
thank u for your work but i have a question:
all the guides online are talking about how this works with the amd control program
but now nvidia driver 417.71 supports freesync - since i dont have freesync monitor i dont even have the option to turn it on on nvidia control panel
is there a way to use to this on nvidia crads and make it work with the new nvidia drivers?
thanks...
01-16-2019, 07:11 PM
CRU is not for adding FreeSync to non-FreeSync monitors, especially with NVIDIA.
01-16-2019, 07:11 PM
(01-16-2019 10:56 AM)maxchaos Wrote:  Hi ToastyX thank you for your beautyfull app,I had used It for a while on my LG ultrawide monitor,today I was testing It for enlarge the freesync range,after putting the valute in the edit (45-75) i clicked apply and restart64,but the PC seems to freezer,but It work in background,and now It freeze everytime after booting normally Windows,in safe mode It start,I tried using reset,but It doesn't seem to work,in HDMI the monitor work perfectly,what di you suggest?
Running reset-all.exe should remove all overrides. CRU does not change anything else. If there is no * next to the monitor name/status, then there is no override.