Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
01-16-2019, 08:35 PM (Last edited: 01-16-2019, 08:36 PM by Blackdragonbird)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(01-16-2019 07:11 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  CRU is not for adding FreeSync to non-FreeSync monitors, especially with NVIDIA.

But can be used to "activate" freesync in some korean panels in AMD. Or I'm wrong?

If I read correctly, if you add hdmi block to a Qnix or Xstar panel you can get some of these monitors to work with FreeSync.

Me question is, is possible to make a panel appear as a DP connector display like you can make it appear as a HDMI in the AMD method? To try to make adaptive sync work in these monitors?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2019, 09:52 PM
(01-16-2019 08:35 PM)Blackdragonbird Wrote:  But can be used to "activate" freesync in some korean panels in AMD. Or I'm wrong?

If I read correctly, if you add hdmi block to a Qnix or Xstar panel you can get some of these monitors to work with FreeSync.
Yes, but NVIDIA does not support HDMI FreeSync, and AMD has issues like having to reconnect the monitor to trick the driver into recognizing it as HDMI. The QNIX/X-Star/Catleap monitors are a special case where the trick works because they don't have scalers, but most people are asking about monitors that definitely can't do it.

(01-16-2019 08:35 PM)Blackdragonbird Wrote:  Me question is, is possible to make a panel appear as a DP connector display like you can make it appear as a HDMI in the AMD method? To try to make adaptive sync work in these monitors?
No. DVI and HDMI use the same signaling, so the HDMI data block is how the driver determines which it is. DisplayPort is completely different.
01-16-2019, 10:23 PM
Understood. Them nVidia has to allow adaptive sync over HDMI to allow us to try to activate it in these Korean panels.

Thanks you. =)
01-17-2019, 07:34 AM (Last edited: 01-17-2019, 07:42 AM by TnF)
(01-15-2019 06:46 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-15-2019 10:37 AM)TnF Wrote:  Hello ToastyX and thanks for creating this utility. I have a new workstation laptop here that i borrow from work to use at home until i have funds to build a PC, it is a HP Zbook 17 with coffee lake 8850H and quadro p3200. I successfully overclocked the monitor LGD059E to 100hz@1080p without dropping frames (ufo frame skipping test). All with latest intel and nvidia drivers.

My question is that if i add a resolution over 100hz it will not appear inside the intel graphics control panel. (now that i think about it i haven't checked if it appears inside windows display properties; maybe it is a limit in the intel control panel edit: checked anything above 100hz doesn't appear). Any idea why this happens..also noticed it says that the bit-depth is 6-bit instead of 8-bit..weird.
Probably bandwidth limitations. DisplayPort has the ability to drop down to 6-bit color when bandwidth is limited, so it's likely the laptop has an embedded DisplayPort (eDP) connection to the panel.

Yes indeed, 240Mhz limit. As of yesterday i didn't know what pixel clock meant, either way i managed to get to 1080p 103hz with original clocks and 105hz with custom timings confirmed no frame skipping. I couldn't find a timing combination that was stable at 106mhz. Is there is a methodology with the timings? I did several tests where i found min values for all 6 timings (back porch, front porch, sync, both H and V), but i couldn't use a combination of mins without problems. Is there is a methodology to this? I spend the whole day before calling it day to push to more than 105hz. The obvious thing however is that pesky 240mhz pixel clock limit which if removed it might be possible to push further these displays (assuming eDP is not maxed out at 240Mhz, is should be underspec since i'm already there).

Too bad you haven't developed an intel pixel clock patcherTongue I think more people would want one especially after all the info and guides i found over your tool in laptop forums mainly here ( http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/...us.802167/ ).
Virtually all laptops at the moment (since i-2nd gen are running an intel cpu with integrated graphics and i am not happy to say it as an amd guy), similar to all people with a 7700k and the like (although desktop users usually run discrete graphics on desktop that outputs directly to the monitor). I still don't have my own desktop and use this workstation laptop i borrow from work but i can do some testing if needed.

The only other thing that remains is that for some reason any resolution over 60hz reports 6-bit colour depth instead of 8-bit but that was a bug in the intel driver so it must be still present (i will write them about this).
01-17-2019, 06:11 PM
(01-17-2019 07:34 AM)TnF Wrote:  Yes indeed, 240Mhz limit. As of yesterday i didn't know what pixel clock meant, either way i managed to get to 1080p 103hz with original clocks and 105hz with custom timings confirmed no frame skipping. I couldn't find a timing combination that was stable at 106mhz. Is there is a methodology with the timings? I did several tests where i found min values for all 6 timings (back porch, front porch, sync, both H and V), but i couldn't use a combination of mins without problems. Is there is a methodology to this?
With laptop panels, the minimum is usually limited by the blanking, which is front porch + sync width + back porch. The individual values don't matter as much.

(01-17-2019 07:34 AM)TnF Wrote:  I spend the whole day before calling it day to push to more than 105hz. The obvious thing however is that pesky 240mhz pixel clock limit which if removed it might be possible to push further these displays (assuming eDP is not maxed out at 240Mhz, is should be underspec since i'm already there).

Too bad you haven't developed an intel pixel clock patcherTongue I think more people would want one especially after all the info and guides i found over your tool in laptop forums mainly here ( http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/...us.802167/ ).
A patcher wouldn't make a difference. The patchers are for external monitors and have no effect on DisplayPort limits.
01-17-2019, 11:06 PM
Hello, I have a problem with my tv and windows hdr. Windows can't detect color primaries information from TV and works with own Color Primaries: Red(0.659180,0.339844), Green(0.244141,0.669922), Blue(0.129883,0.040039), White Point(0.312500,0.329102)
That default color space doesn't match DCI-p3 and doesn't match real color space of my TV. SO red color doesn't look saturated as intended because 0.659180,0.339844 is worse than 0.68, 0.32.
Is there any way to everwrite these values for windows HDR(can be checked by VESA test program)?
[Image: WsM7vWO.jpg]
01-18-2019, 01:04 PM
(01-17-2019 06:11 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-17-2019 07:34 AM)TnF Wrote:  Yes indeed, 240Mhz limit. As of yesterday i didn't know what pixel clock meant, either way i managed to get to 1080p 103hz with original clocks and 105hz with custom timings confirmed no frame skipping. I couldn't find a timing combination that was stable at 106mhz. Is there is a methodology with the timings? I did several tests where i found min values for all 6 timings (back porch, front porch, sync, both H and V), but i couldn't use a combination of mins without problems. Is there is a methodology to this?
With laptop panels, the minimum is usually limited by the blanking, which is front porch + sync width + back porch. The individual values don't matter as much.
Yes indeed from the data i gathered testing you are pretty much spot on - wish i knew this sooner it would save me lots of timeTongue

Quote:
(01-17-2019 07:34 AM)TnF Wrote:  I spend the whole day before calling it day to push to more than 105hz. The obvious thing however is that pesky 240mhz pixel clock limit which if removed it might be possible to push further these displays (assuming eDP is not maxed out at 240Mhz, is should be underspec since i'm already there).

A patcher wouldn't make a difference. The patchers are for external monitors and have no effect on DisplayPort limits.

Can you explain why this is? This laptop can be configured with a 4K screen @ 60hz, and even 10 bit (8+2 dithering) depth. This approximately required 4x the bandwidth as there are as 4x as many pixels in my understanding. So theoretically the interface should be able to do 4x60=240hz (i know i don't calculate the timings here but it's to get my point through). If i were to guess the interface is the latest eDP v1.4b which has more than enough bandwidth to do 1080p@120hz for example. Isn't the pixel clock rate related to the bandwidth of the interface? Why there is a 240mhz limit? If it was different how come normal DP (which eDP is based of) can run past that limit and clock patcher is available? :/
01-18-2019, 10:29 PM (Last edited: 01-18-2019, 10:30 PM by rayw_cru)
ToastyX Wrote:Literal God

Hi @ToastyX,

Fantastic work on CRU, I've been a follower for several years now but haven't registered and posted until now. Kudos Smile

Would like to report a potential bug: I recently got an LG 34GK950F and noticed that CRU doesn't show any of the higher refresh rates, nor a FreeSync range entry in the extended block.

It also doesn't let me add a custom entry with the native 3440x1440@144Hz resolution (attached screenshot of CRU 1.4.1).

I am happy to report that I can use FreeSync on this monitor with an NVIDIA GPU just fine thanks to NVIDIA finally caving in and supporting Adaptive Sync.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-19-2019, 01:00 AM
Question RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
I tried to use CRU to extend my FreeSync range but it looks like it is not working for me for some reason.

I am trying to resolve the issue with my monitor LG UK600. It has FreeSync and it is kinda working but has issues.
Standard range is 40-61. It is working OK in this range.

But i have issues when FPS in games is between 29-34.
When the FPS is ~30 the screen is just blinking black and showing some corrupted images.

Any advice how to resolve this issue?

P.S.
I tried to extend the range of FreeSync to 28-60 or decrease to 50-60 - but the issue still persists.

When i set FreeSync range to 40-45 using CRU, then use 50-60 FPS in tests i can see that FreeSync is still working - but it should not as i have changed the limits.
So i think CRU is not working for me to change FreeSync range.

I would really appreciate any help.

This is how i set it:

01-19-2019, 02:33 AM
(01-19-2019 01:00 AM)Soulreaver Wrote:  I tried to use CRU to extend my FreeSync range but it looks like it is not working for me for some reason.

I am trying to resolve the issue with my monitor LG UK600. It has FreeSync and it is kinda working but has issues.
Standard range is 40-61. It is working OK in this range.

But i have issues when FPS in games is between 29-34.
When the FPS is ~30 the screen is just blinking black and showing some corrupted images.

Any advice how to resolve this issue?

P.S.
I tried to extend the range of FreeSync to 28-60 or decrease to 50-60 - but the issue still persists.

When i set FreeSync range to 40-45 using CRU, then use 50-60 FPS in tests i can see that FreeSync is still working - but it should not as i have changed the limits.
So i think CRU is not working for me to change FreeSync range.
The FreeSync has to be at least 10 Hz apart, and the maximum refresh rate has to include the currently set refresh rate. Honestly, I would just return the monitor and get something that works. You shouldn't have to mess with anything to get FreeSync to work correctly.