Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-16-2019, 03:01 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-16-2019 01:39 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-16-2019 01:11 PM)vinaysingh Wrote:  Monitor :- Benq gw2470h va panel 60hz,

All Games including freesync demo app gives black screen splashes. Works for few seconds than black screen.. and repeat.
I don't see anything that says GW2470H is a FreeSync monitor.

I thought this software turns non-freesync monitor to freesync monitor.
Many youtube videos and tutorials are present there using this tool.
But they didn't work for me((

When this monitor can display between 40 to 85 hz(overclocked it).. isn't it possible to make it a free-sync one?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2019, 03:44 PM (Last edited: 08-16-2019, 04:07 PM by ToastyX)
(08-16-2019 03:01 PM)vinaysingh Wrote:  I thought this software turns non-freesync monitor to freesync monitor.
Many youtube videos and tutorials are present there using this tool.
But they didn't work for me((

When this monitor can display between 40 to 85 hz(overclocked it).. isn't it possible to make it a free-sync one?
No, FreeSync is not the same as changing the refresh rate. FreeSync runs at a fixed rate and extends the vertical blanking to delay the next frame. CRU is usually used to add custom resolutions and to edit the FreeSync range, not to add FreeSync to a non-FreeSync monitor. Adding FreeSync only works under very specific conditions. Either the monitor must have a scaler that supports variable vertical blanking, or the monitor must not have a scaler, and the driver will only allow FreeSync if it thinks the monitor supports HDMI. I don't know why people think it can be done with any monitor. Almost all non-FreeSync monitors with HDMI have scalers that don't support variable vertical blanking. I've only confirmed one monitor that can do this with DVI because it doesn't have a scaler, but it's a pain to enable because the driver blocks the ability to enable FreeSync with DVI even though the monitor is capable.
08-16-2019, 04:16 PM
Thx bro it was really helpful.
08-19-2019, 03:44 PM (Last edited: 08-19-2019, 03:46 PM by EeK)
I recently bought an LG C9 OLED TV, after previously owning a B7 and a C8. Its main selling point is 1440p@120Hz refresh rate. I'm having some issues and was hoping that @ToastyX or anyone else would be able to help me out.

With the B7 and C8 (which only support 1080p@120Hz), I connected my PC to the receiver (a Denon AVR-X4400H) using my GPU's (1080 Ti) single HDMI out. If I do that with the C9, only 1080p is available at 120Hz, for some reason (4K@60Hz works flawlessly).

eARC is currently not working with my TV and AVR (known issue between 2017 Denon receivers and the C9), and regular ARC causes massive audio delay (also a known issue on LG OLEDs). So, the only alternative to have 1440p@120Hz video on the TV and audio coming out of the speakers connected to my AVR, was to connect the GPU directly to the TV (through HDMI), and use one of its three DisplayPort outs to connect a second HDMI cable to the AVR (using a DP to HDMI adapter).

Now, the problem. Windows sees those connections as two individual displays. I can either extend or clone the picture from the primary display (TV) to the secondary one (AVR). If I extend, I get 1440p@120Hz, but no high definition audio formats support. If I clone, I get support to all audio formats, but only 1080p@120Hz.

Is there any way to use CRU to fix that? Here are some screenshots showing what the available settings look like:

Extend:

Set up screen
Available resolutions - PC and TV
Supported audio formats

Clone:

Set up screen
Available resolutions - PC and TV
Supported audio formats
08-22-2019, 08:34 PM
(08-19-2019 03:44 PM)EeK Wrote:  With the B7 and C8 (which only support 1080p@120Hz), I connected my PC to the receiver (a Denon AVR-X4400H) using my GPU's (1080 Ti) single HDMI out. If I do that with the C9, only 1080p is available at 120Hz, for some reason (4K@60Hz works flawlessly).

eARC is currently not working with my TV and AVR (known issue between 2017 Denon receivers and the C9), and regular ARC causes massive audio delay (also a known issue on LG OLEDs). So, the only alternative to have 1440p@120Hz video on the TV and audio coming out of the speakers connected to my AVR, was to connect the GPU directly to the TV (through HDMI), and use one of its three DisplayPort outs to connect a second HDMI cable to the AVR (using a DP to HDMI adapter).

Now, the problem. Windows sees those connections as two individual displays. I can either extend or clone the picture from the primary display (TV) to the secondary one (AVR). If I extend, I get 1440p@120Hz, but no high definition audio formats support. If I clone, I get support to all audio formats, but only 1080p@120Hz.

Is there any way to use CRU to fix that? Here are some screenshots showing what the available settings look like:
I don't see how extending would affect the audio unless the AVR is not set to a resolution that can handle the audio. Try setting the AVR to 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz (or 60 Hz).

Cloning would require both displays to support the same resolutions, but the AVR probably won't have 2560x1440 by default.
08-22-2019, 11:34 PM
Is HDR a specific chip? Is freesync a specific chip?
A monitor has ddc/ci can we force an hdr/freesync profile to a non-hdr/freesync monitor? My monitor has a peak brightness of 350 which is most low end HDR tv/s monitors that call themselves HDR10 bs
08-23-2019, 06:14 AM
(08-22-2019 08:34 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I don't see how extending would affect the audio unless the AVR is not set to a resolution that can handle the audio. Try setting the AVR to 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz (or 60 Hz).

Cloning would require both displays to support the same resolutions, but the AVR probably won't have 2560x1440 by default.

Thanks for replying, ToastyX.

I don't understand it either, but, as you can see from the screenshots, the AVR loses support for lossless HD audio formats when extending.

For now, I was able to connect the GPU through the AVR using a single HDMI cable (my usual setup for all devices), and add a detailed resolution of 2560 x 1440 with a refresh rate of 120Hz. That "unlocked" a new set of resolutions under "PC" on NVCP, including 1440p@120Hz, with all audio formats supported.

The AVR is clearly missing that specific resolution, which is weird, considering that the X4200W (an older model) has it by default (one person confirmed that he had access to non-standard resolutions on NVCP straight away, without the need for an EDID override).

Would you say that's an acceptable solution? Or should I try running two HDMI cables from the GPU once again? I'll probably end up purchasing a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter when they become available, and then I'd have to connect the GPU directly to the TV no matter what.

P.S.: Apparently, the Denon's "native resolution" is 480p, even if it supports 4K.
08-23-2019, 08:03 PM
(08-23-2019 06:14 AM)EeK Wrote:  Would you say that's an acceptable solution? Or should I try running two HDMI cables from the GPU once again?
I would prefer the single cable solution.
08-23-2019, 08:03 PM
(08-22-2019 11:34 PM)chaython Wrote:  Is HDR a specific chip? Is freesync a specific chip?
A monitor has ddc/ci can we force an hdr/freesync profile to a non-hdr/freesync monitor? My monitor has a peak brightness of 350 which is most low end HDR tv/s monitors that call themselves HDR10 bs
HDR and FreeSync are standards that the monitor must implement.
08-24-2019, 03:27 AM (Last edited: 08-24-2019, 03:27 AM by EeK)
(08-23-2019 08:03 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I would prefer the single cable solution.

Does the native resolution identified by the drivers cause any impact on usability, even if it's not selected?

With the Denon AVR as the display, the native res is 480p (720 x 480). On the "Adjust desktop size and position screen", the preview image is clearly stretched vertically. Not sure if that would cause issues with games or not.

My other concern is related to the future DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter that I mentioned. Since there's no eARC on the GPU, I'd still be forced to use a separate HDMI cable for audio, so I'm already thinking of a possible workaround.

Do you know how to edit the TV's EDID to include the missing audio formats? I've never done that. I'm only familiar with adding or removing resolutions.