Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-26-2019, 12:19 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-26-2019 11:43 AM)Lightstrider01 Wrote:  seems to be the same effect, odd slow storbing light effects faintly 1 inch from either sides, hard to notice but there. is reduced worth a shot? i dont have it when the horz is 67.500 but it moves if i change the refresh rate and wont stay at 67.500 if i try to force it in manual.
That's strange that the monitor won't display 61 Hz correctly. It should be able to handle anything from 60 to 120 Hz. "LCD reduced" will be the same as "LCD standard" at 61 Hz. Horizontal is the number of lines per second, so increasing the refresh rate increases the horizontal scan rate. You can reduce the vertical total to 1106 to get 61.03 Hz at 67.5 kHz. If that doesn't help, try increasing it to 1144 to match the 120 Hz vertical total.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2019, 10:04 PM (Last edited: 10-26-2019, 10:04 PM by Lightstrider01)
Hail the great ToastyX, Hail!

Sadly i think it may be my monitor or perhaps the settings of it? i dunno, When i reset all and set it to 60hz, no strobing lights on the sides, and even the default 100hz options when everythings reset has similar effect along border, i think just the sides ,its just faster , i could try to make a quick youtube video if u wanna check it out.
A game annoying the crap outta me is Assassins creed 4 black flag, Game itself is capped 63 fps or some crap, if i use 60hz, my actual refresh rate of 59.998 or w/e and the game itself seem to like 59fps, agh >.< so adaptive vSync works great unless you get out to sea, then you start staying at 59 fps and stuff, if i use 61hz and vsync it on on, i get a nice 61fps. just like in Assassins creed origins if i use adaptive vsync for 60hz, the bar that shows statistics is steady but green with yellow ticks,... ocd much.... and if i get 61hz and it sits 61fps with adaptive, solid green, no hiccup yellows....blah lol jus over here messing with stuff, but i bought this way back in 2012 and its 7 years later now almost 8. i need a new monitor, seems tho with my 4790k and 980 ti 60-61 fps is ideal, and i do not use the 3D option for this, nor do i care for 120fps in games, 60 is fine if its fluid. I can create a 75hz refresh rate, but then using adaptive brings my games up another 15 fps, ....ehh my troubles for now.
10-27-2019, 05:31 AM
Hi ToastyX! First of all thank you for your great job!
Since Win 1903 big patch i'm not able to extend my monitor's freesync range anymore. It's a 75hz monitor, Acer KG241Q. I use freesync via HDMI port and APU ryzen 2400g.
I was always able to get 82hz and extended freesync to 52-82 range, using Lcd standard settings, 83hz with reduced settings, but now if change these settings using CRU , Freesync stops working, it becomes grey on my AMD Radeon panel like if my Monitor couldn't support it.

A cru reset will fix it, but now i cannot extend refresh rate and freesync anymore. Playing games like overwatch at solid 80fps was perfect for me.
10-27-2019, 07:21 AM
(10-27-2019 05:31 AM)Shakko81 Wrote:  Hi ToastyX! First of all thank you for your great job!
Since Win 1903 big patch i'm not able to extend my monitor's freesync range anymore. It's a 75hz monitor, Acer KG241Q. I use freesync via HDMI port and APU ryzen 2400g.
I was always able to get 82hz and extended freesync to 52-82 range, using Lcd standard settings, 83hz with reduced settings, but now if change these settings using CRU , Freesync stops working, it becomes grey on my AMD Radeon panel like if my Monitor couldn't support it.

A cru reset will fix it, but now i cannot extend refresh rate and freesync anymore. Playing games like overwatch at solid 80fps was perfect for me.

I found a solution: I had to delete the freesync block, then adding a new one with desired range will fix it. It will appear enabled on amd radeon panel and ofc will work.
10-27-2019, 12:43 PM
(10-27-2019 07:21 AM)Shakko81 Wrote:  I found a solution: I had to delete the freesync block, then adding a new one with desired range will fix it. It will appear enabled on amd radeon panel and ofc will work.
Can you run reset-all.exe and restart, and then export the default configuration to a file and post it here so I can see what's different about the default FreeSync data block?
10-30-2019, 02:48 AM (Last edited: 10-30-2019, 02:50 AM by EeK)
@ToastyX, I'm having a weird issue after using CRU, while on the latest Nvidia driver (441.08).

Prior to installing 441.08, I'd been using the 440.52 beta driver, as that was the only one with support for G-Sync on the LG C9 series of TVs.

Everything ran smoothly, and I was able to add a custom resolution of 3840x2160 with a refresh rate of 66Hz to my display, via CRU, selecting LCD standard as the timing. If I were to use NVCP, the only color format and depth available would be RGB and 8bpc, for some reason. With CRU, I could select YCbCr444/8bpc and YCbCr422/10 or 12bpc - the latter being my preferred choice.

As always, I used DDU before installing the new driver. The installation was successful, and I then used to CRU to add the same detailed resolution as before. However, after running restart64.exe to restart the graphic driver, my whole system rebooted and got caught in an infinite reboot loop.

I was only able to do something when Windows automatically prompted to boot into safe mode, after a few failed login attempts. I the uninstalled the driver, again using DDU, downloaded it once more and clean installed it a second time. Also for the second time, running CRU would result in the same issue.

This, time, I simply ran reset-all.exe while on safe mode and that stopped the infinite rebooting. However, I'm still unable to add a custom resolution at the desired refresh rate.

Do you have any idea what's causing this? It's the first time ever experiencing this issue, after literally years of using CRU. Aside from the display driver, nothing changed between 440.52 and 441.08. I'm still running the same (updated) version of Windows, the same TV (on the same firmware), etc.
10-30-2019, 01:04 PM
(10-30-2019 02:48 AM)EeK Wrote:  Do you have any idea what's causing this? It's the first time ever experiencing this issue, after literally years of using CRU. Aside from the display driver, nothing changed between 440.52 and 441.08. I'm still running the same (updated) version of Windows, the same TV (on the same firmware), etc.
That can only be a driver bug. CRU only writes EDID overrides and doesn't do any driver modifications, so if you can get the driver to crash with CRU, then that's a driver bug. Even if CRU wrote garbage instead of a correct EDID, that shouldn't cause the driver to crash. Does the driver crash if you try to add the same resolution with the NVIDIA control panel?
10-30-2019, 04:45 PM
Hi Guys

I have a surface pro 3 with windows 10. I want to put the screen size the same as a Mobile like an iPhone but with max resolution possible.

Can I do this with CRU ? And how?
Thanks!
10-30-2019, 09:16 PM
(10-30-2019 04:45 PM)Pegasus78 Wrote:  I have a surface pro 3 with windows 10. I want to put the screen size the same as a Mobile like an iPhone but with max resolution possible.

Can I do this with CRU ? And how?
If you mean centering a smaller resolution, CRU doesn't deal with scaling or positioning, but you can use CRU to create a custom resolution and then use Intel's control panel to set the scaling to center the image. I don't know if Intel's control panel offers that option with the Surface display like it does with external displays.
10-30-2019, 09:31 PM (Last edited: 10-30-2019, 09:31 PM by EeK)
(10-30-2019 01:04 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  That can only be a driver bug. CRU only writes EDID overrides and doesn't do any driver modifications, so if you can get the driver to crash with CRU, then that's a driver bug. Even if CRU wrote garbage instead of a correct EDID, that shouldn't cause the driver to crash. Does the driver crash if you try to add the same resolution with the NVIDIA control panel?

With NVCP, any resolution of 3840x2160 with a refresh rate higher than 60Hz didn't get past the tests, so it couldn't be applied. That behavior only started after the latest driver (411.08). Before that, with either 440.52 or 440.97, I successfully added 4K resolutions of up to 66Hz, using NVCP (albeit with RGB as the only available color format, for some reason).

I tried again with CRU, and instead of using restart64.exe, I restarted Windows and rebooted the entire system. It worked! 3840x2160 at 66Hz successfully added, without the infinite reboot loop.

Still don't understand why I wasn't able to simply restart the graphics driver without rebooting the system, as I'd always done before, though. Very odd.