Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-14-2019, 12:48 AM (Last edited: 11-14-2019, 02:00 AM by Sephiron)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
I just got my new Razer Blade Stealth late 2019 (GTX 1650 model) and I figured I would give CRU a wack.
To be fair, this is my first time using CRU but I have overclocked monitors in the past including the one on my MSI GT83VR.

I also want to say what an awesome community here! Sorry to hop on board when just when I have issues but I fear an intel driver limitation.

This is a 10th gen ice lake model with the 1065g7 eDP (hwinfo) and every time I make ANY change in CRU, it results in a black screen. Maybe I'm literally doing it wrong? I add any new resolution, even the same one that's listed by copying the settings of the default, then hitting okay, restart.exe and bam. Black screen every time. I have turned off all of the power options in the intel settings but every time I get a black screen. I have to clear settings and restart to get it back. I don't even get to the option where it lets me select the new refresh rate. I tried looking up and down the web today but I just can't find anything.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-14-2019, 02:02 AM
(11-14-2019 12:48 AM)Sephiron Wrote:  I just got my new Razer Blade Stealth late 2019 (GTX 1650 model) and I figured I would give CRU a wack.
To be fair, I have not used this particular software but I have overclocked monitors in the past including the one on my MSI GT83VR.

This is a 10th gen ice lake model with the 1065g7 eDP (hwinfo) and every time I make ANY change in CRU, it results in a black screen. I have turned off all of the power options in the intel settings but every time I get a black screen. I even tried just replacing the default with one with the same settings but still the same issue. I tried looking up and down the web today but I just can't find anything.
Can you try the alternative method for Intel GPUs? Laptops usually have switchable graphics, and the alternative method should work with newer Intel GPUs as well.
11-14-2019, 04:52 PM (Last edited: 11-14-2019, 05:51 PM by oomek)
Is there a chance that you could add physical monitor dimensions? It's displayed as Image Size and Maximum Image Size in MonitorInfoView.

According to the EDID specs the bytes of interests are 21, 22 in Basic display parameters and bytes 12, 13, 14 in Detailed Timing Descriptor. When I tried to edit it in AW EDID Editor and then import and apply in CRU those values get reverted back to defaults.
11-14-2019, 09:07 PM
(11-14-2019 04:52 PM)oomek Wrote:  Is there a chance that you could add physical monitor dimensions? It's displayed as Image Size and Maximum Image Size in MonitorInfoView.

According to the EDID specs the bytes of interests are 21, 22 in Basic display parameters and bytes 12, 13, 14 in Detailed Timing Descriptor. When I tried to edit it in AW EDID Editor and then import and apply in CRU those values get reverted back to defaults.
That depends. What do you need to set the image size for?

I thought about adding the screen size to the display properties, but the screen size can contain an aspect ratio instead with odd calculations, so that complicates the implementation a bit. If you select "Import complete EDID" when importing, it will import this information.

For detailed resolutions, my main concern is people won't know what to put in for the image size when adding or editing a resolution, and I haven't seen anything actually use this information, so CRU just puts in the resolution divided by four. I'm reluctant to add this unless I can find a way without cluttering the interface.
11-14-2019, 09:20 PM (Last edited: 11-14-2019, 09:22 PM by oomek)
Some monitors like mine have screwed data due to manufacturer's negligence. I have LG Ultrawide 29UM67 that is reporting the EDID of the 34" version that seems to share the same pcb. My app relies on this information and I was hoping that I could override those wrong data. Selecting full import only preserves 2 bytes in the Basic Disp. Params. I'm gonna link the modified edid and both dumps (with normal and full import) in a moment

Attached File(s)
.zip  LG29UM67-EDID.zip (Size: 1.17 KB / Downloads: 292)
11-14-2019, 10:49 PM
(11-14-2019 09:20 PM)oomek Wrote:  Selecting full import only preserves 2 bytes in the Basic Disp. Params.
I know. That was intentional to keep the data consistent. If it preserves the image size in the detailed resolutions, then what should happen if the user edits the resolution? What about when copying and pasting a resolution between different monitors? What about when adding a new resolution? I thought about making it copy the screen size, but that won't make sense if it has an aspect ratio instead. These and other issues are why I made CRU put in default values for detailed resolution image sizes. I can make a version for you that doesn't change this information, but my computer is dead at the moment and won't be fixed until next week.
11-14-2019, 10:55 PM (Last edited: 11-14-2019, 11:23 PM by oomek)
Thanks for explaining, I thought I'm doing something wrong. What If I edited the EDID REG_BINANY created by CRU directly in the registry and replaced with my original modified bin. Would that work?

Update: It worked.
11-15-2019, 02:07 AM
(11-14-2019 02:02 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-14-2019 12:48 AM)Sephiron Wrote:  This is a 10th gen ice lake model with the 1065g7 eDP (hwinfo) and every time I make ANY change in CRU, it results in a black screen. I have turned off all of the power options in the intel settings but every time I get a black screen. I even tried just replacing the default with one with the same settings but still the same issue. I tried looking up and down the web today but I just can't find anything.
Can you try the alternative method for Intel GPUs? Laptops usually have switchable graphics, and the alternative method should work with newer Intel GPUs as well.

I gave that a shot and got the same behavior. I did a ton of troubleshooting today and I got it to work once! I tried 66mhz and 76mhz and it crapped out there so I reverted changes and now I can't get it to work again. I tried really hard to replicate what I did but can't. The only thing I did different was add it to the extension blocks portion but on trying that again, same result as before. At least I know it can work. Another thing I noticed is that the nvidia process crashes after I add something to CRU and restart.exe, nvidia also doesn't seem to launch on an actual restart either. When I'm hooked up to an external display and right click on the desktop, my normal "nvidia control panel" isn't listed and when I try and launch, it says there is no display hooked up to the gpu. I know the display is routed through the iGPU but it launches when changes are reverted. One more oddity is my external display goes artifacty after about a minute after I try a change and restart.exe even though I never made changes to that monitor in CRU (but the cursor is clear as day?!). I very much appreciate your help and time. You seriously rock!
11-15-2019, 05:36 PM
(11-15-2019 02:07 AM)Sephiron Wrote:  I gave that a shot and got the same behavior. I did a ton of troubleshooting today and I got it to work once! I tried 66mhz and 76mhz and it crapped out there so I reverted changes and now I can't get it to work again. I tried really hard to replicate what I did but can't. The only thing I did different was add it to the extension blocks portion but on trying that again, same result as before. At least I know it can work. Another thing I noticed is that the nvidia process crashes after I add something to CRU and restart.exe, nvidia also doesn't seem to launch on an actual restart either. When I'm hooked up to an external display and right click on the desktop, my normal "nvidia control panel" isn't listed and when I try and launch, it says there is no display hooked up to the gpu. I know the display is routed through the iGPU but it launches when changes are reverted. One more oddity is my external display goes artifacty after about a minute after I try a change and restart.exe even though I never made changes to that monitor in CRU (but the cursor is clear as day?!). I very much appreciate your help and time. You seriously rock!
You're doing so many things at once that I can't make sense of what's happening when. First, run reset-all.exe and reboot. Then run CRU and choose the internal screen. Are there any extension blocks by default? Under established resolutions, enable 640x480 (or disable it if it's already enabled), and click OK. Then reboot (don't run restart.exe). Does that cause a black screen? If so, run CRU, choose the internal screen that you edited, and export an exe file. Then run the exe file and install the EDID. Then reboot. Does that still cause a black screen?
11-18-2019, 02:06 PM (Last edited: 11-18-2019, 03:04 PM by Karavusk)
Hello I have an Asus mg279q and a 1080ti. I want to adjust the freesync range to 57-144 for lfc g-sync compatible and change the refresh rate to 144.1Hz for the 143hz fix thingy. The problem is I get some broken looking flicker in games at 57-144. Any idea what I can adjust to help it?

These are the stock settings https://puu.sh/EFY2O/9e7a9ad66c.png https://puu.sh/EFY32/8adcdd1a26.png https://puu.sh/EFY3c/fd87ff2165.png
I edited the range to 57-144, took the 89Hz refresh rate settings (no idea why 144hz isn't shown, it runs at 144hz) and set it to 144.1Hz https://puu.sh/EFY5p/66c066c276.png

This results in a flickering broken image in games. It looks like it is only barely unstable since it manages to fix itself for like a second sometimes. Back when I still had my r9 390x these settings worked. I even tried a profile from Reddit but it had the same results.

edit: Because I have no idea about these timings or whatever they are I just tried to copy paste whatever timings Nvidia's custom resolution would try to give me into CRU. That actually worked. https://puu.sh/EFYDC/cc1223e782.png my LoL was stuck at 60fps until I rebooted and now g-sync seems to be active. The thing is even without v-sync or any frame limiter my fps can't go above 144 now. I even tried fast sync on and off. The only difference is fast sync on combined with v-sync ends up in a stuttering 80fps mess. No idea what from this is supposed to happen and what is just weird... how am I actually supposed to set those settings?