Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-19-2019, 01:20 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(11-15-2019 05:36 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-15-2019 02:07 AM)Sephiron Wrote:  I gave that a shot and got the same behavior. I did a ton of troubleshooting today and I got it to work once! I tried 66mhz and 76mhz and it crapped out there so I reverted changes and now I can't get it to work again. I tried really hard to replicate what I did but can't. The only thing I did different was add it to the extension blocks portion but on trying that again, same result as before. At least I know it can work. Another thing I noticed is that the nvidia process crashes after I add something to CRU and restart.exe, nvidia also doesn't seem to launch on an actual restart either. When I'm hooked up to an external display and right click on the desktop, my normal "nvidia control panel" isn't listed and when I try and launch, it says there is no display hooked up to the gpu. I know the display is routed through the iGPU but it launches when changes are reverted. One more oddity is my external display goes artifacty after about a minute after I try a change and restart.exe even though I never made changes to that monitor in CRU (but the cursor is clear as day?!). I very much appreciate your help and time. You seriously rock!
You're doing so many things at once that I can't make sense of what's happening when. First, run reset-all.exe and reboot. Then run CRU and choose the internal screen. Are there any extension blocks by default? Under established resolutions, enable 640x480 (or disable it if it's already enabled), and click OK. Then reboot (don't run restart.exe). Does that cause a black screen? If so, run CRU, choose the internal screen that you edited, and export an exe file. Then run the exe file and install the EDID. Then reboot. Does that still cause a black screen?

Sorry about that, just trying to get as much info down as possible. I see now that it can be less helpful if not organized
I don't want to take up much more of your time but I did try your new recommendations but still the same black screen. There are no extension blocks by default.
I'll try and organize.
Steps done after I reset everything and restart the machine and the laptop is hooked up to external monitor -
Open CRU, check box enable 640x480 for the internal display only (no changes made to external display). Close CRU, restart machine, get black screen as soon as it gets to the login screen. Second display is working but goes unreadable after about 30 seconds. Same thing happens when trying exe method (making sure to not accidentally save anything in CRU and only doing an export). In all permutations of testing, my nvidia control panel will not open or show in the right click context menu while any EDID override is in place (and thus my laptop screen being black). I have to reset-all and restart to get that back (and my display). It's like the nvidia driver is crashing but I don't get why because that shouldn't matter.

Anyway. Thank you for your time and support, it's extremely appreciated. I'll keep trying different methods trying to replicate that one time that I got it to work Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2019, 02:58 AM
(11-19-2019 01:20 AM)Sephiron Wrote:  Anyway. Thank you for your time and support, it's extremely appreciated. I'll keep trying different methods trying to replicate that one time that I got it to work Big Grin
Can you try the same with the external display? I'm trying to figure out if it's an issue specific to the internal display.
11-19-2019, 03:02 AM
(11-18-2019 02:06 PM)Karavusk Wrote:  I edited the range to 57-144, took the 89Hz refresh rate settings (no idea why 144hz isn't shown, it runs at 144hz) and set it to 144.1Hz
You should edit the existing 143.xxx Hz. It's in the extension block.
11-19-2019, 05:29 AM
(11-19-2019 02:58 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Can you try the same with the external display? I'm trying to figure out if it's an issue specific to the internal display.

I was able to get an external monitor to 65hz and my internal stayed on. While that was still applied, I tried the internal again and it resulted in the same black screen and wonky external display. I am on the latest intel DCH drivers which I've seen in general can be a pain. Perhaps I should go complain to intel lol.
11-19-2019, 05:31 PM (Last edited: 11-19-2019, 05:31 PM by ToastyX)
(11-19-2019 05:29 AM)Sephiron Wrote:  I was able to get an external monitor to 65hz and my internal stayed on. While that was still applied, I tried the internal again and it resulted in the same black screen and wonky external display. I am on the latest intel DCH drivers which I've seen in general can be a pain. Perhaps I should go complain to intel lol.
Run reset-all.exe and reboot. Then run this and post the log file:

.zip  amdtest.zip (Size: 455.21 KB / Downloads: 424)

Don't worry about the AMD part. I just want to see the original EDID.
11-19-2019, 06:19 PM
(11-19-2019 05:31 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Run reset-all.exe and reboot. Then run this and post the log file:

Don't worry about the AMD part. I just want to see the original EDID.

File as requested.

Attached File(s)
.zip  test.zip (Size: 506 bytes / Downloads: 420)
11-25-2019, 01:58 AM
(11-19-2019 06:19 PM)Sephiron Wrote:  File as requested.
I don't see anything unusual. This has to be an Intel driver bug, especially since the other screen goes nuts for no reason.
11-25-2019, 05:53 AM
Welcome !

My desktop computer crashed. Instead, a Gigabyte Brix

http://hu.gigabyte.com/products/page/des...rev_10/#kf

I connected a computer to my LG monitor

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29UM57...ed-monitor

Problem:

Gigabytes with a maximum resolution of 1980x1080 and a monitor with 2560x1080.
Gigabyte can handle two monitors, HDMI and VGA at the same time.

Question:
Can a CRU solve, overwrite the resolution of the Gigabyte Graphics Card in HDMI to 2560x1080 to fill the whole screen?
Thanks
11-25-2019, 02:11 PM
(11-25-2019 05:53 AM)alphamooncamp Wrote:  Can a CRU solve, overwrite the resolution of the Gigabyte Graphics Card in HDMI to 2560x1080 to fill the whole screen?
If the monitor already defines 2560x1080, then no, unless you reduce the refresh rate to 50 Hz.
11-25-2019, 04:09 PM
Hey Everyone,

Can I make a custom output dynamic range with CRU?
the two options in Nvidia control panel are
full 0-255
limited 16-235

Can I use CRU to make a custom option like 30-255? See my attached picture I circled what I'm referring too.

Thank you

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)