Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
02-07-2020, 11:37 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(02-07-2020 11:04 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-07-2020 07:13 PM)Bryan Stephanov Wrote:  Hello friends, will there be any way to have support for HDMI 2.1 and have dynamic HDR metadata and be able to edit them? also support for SMPTE ST 2086? Maybe in a new version of CRU? Greetings!
HDMI 2.1 uses the same data block as HDMI 2.0 but with additional features. I don't have access to the HDMI 2.1 specification, so I don't have enough information yet on what the additional features are, but I want to include them eventually.

The HDR dynamic metadata block isn't very interesting. It only lists metadata types and versions. I might add it later.

That would be great! really thanks for your work,it is much helpful for most people in here.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2020, 03:37 PM (Last edited: 02-12-2020, 03:44 PM by Seneral)
Hello,
I need help getting a cheap 2k LCD screen of 1440x2560 portrait mode to work. It only has one mode it works at, and CRU seems to identify it correctly. But Windows and my AMD drivers won't recognize it correctly, after some fiddling around they finally acknowledge it as a 1440x2560 display but the timing seems to be off (atleast the timing in the radeon software settings differ greatly from the one CRU reads). I verified on a linux machine which does perfectly recognize the LCD that the timing CRU reads is indeed correct.
Now it sometimes just stays black although it is adressed as a 1440x2560 display and LCD led is green indicating no error, sometimes it does actually show a solid image with visual glitches (image persisting until I change a setting or reconnect). Just now I also had a case for the first time where the image with the glitches shows, but flashes at varying frequencies (frequency changes at irregular rates, but image generally shows longer than the black screen does, usually for at east 200-500ms, but as low as 5-10ms). And another new visual glitch, the stripes as usual and rare flickering of the upper half of the display in correct orientation (so upper half was displayed on lower half and vice versa). All in all seems to be the timing.

Here are some images: https://imgur.com/a/ywDMWC1
1. CRU with the correct timing
2. Linux with working LCD showing same timing
3. What radeon software automatically detects
4. Trying to enter CRUs timing information, won't let me accept it, says display doesn't support it. Did I do something wrong / interpret values wrong?
5. The visual glitches I'm talking about (except for the flashes, but when it flashes these visual glitches are also there)

Can anyone help me? Why can't I set the correct timing values in radeon software? I did ask over at the AMD forums before in case you're wondering. Thank you very much!
02-13-2020, 01:55 PM
Hello
Many thanks for the application.
I have a doubt:
When formatting the disk / windows, the created resolutions will be erased, right?
02-13-2020, 09:59 PM
(02-13-2020 01:55 PM)jcpq Wrote:  Hello
Many thanks for the application.
I have a doubt:
When formatting the disk / windows, the created resolutions will be erased, right?
Right.
02-13-2020, 10:00 PM
(02-12-2020 03:37 PM)Seneral Wrote:  Hello,
I need help getting a cheap 2k LCD screen of 1440x2560 portrait mode to work. It only has one mode it works at, and CRU seems to identify it correctly. But Windows and my AMD drivers won't recognize it correctly, after some fiddling around they finally acknowledge it as a 1440x2560 display but the timing seems to be off (atleast the timing in the radeon software settings differ greatly from the one CRU reads). I verified on a linux machine which does perfectly recognize the LCD that the timing CRU reads is indeed correct.
Now it sometimes just stays black although it is adressed as a 1440x2560 display and LCD led is green indicating no error, sometimes it does actually show a solid image with visual glitches (image persisting until I change a setting or reconnect). Just now I also had a case for the first time where the image with the glitches shows, but flashes at varying frequencies (frequency changes at irregular rates, but image generally shows longer than the black screen does, usually for at east 200-500ms, but as low as 5-10ms). And another new visual glitch, the stripes as usual and rare flickering of the upper half of the display in correct orientation (so upper half was displayed on lower half and vice versa). All in all seems to be the timing.

4. Trying to enter CRUs timing information, won't let me accept it, says display doesn't support it. Did I do something wrong / interpret values wrong?
5. The visual glitches I'm talking about (except for the flashes, but when it flashes these visual glitches are also there)

Can anyone help me? Why can't I set the correct timing values in radeon software? I did ask over at the AMD forums before in case you're wondering. Thank you very much!
I don't see why AMD's driver wouldn't use the timing parameters provided by the EDID. The only problem I see is when you entered the custom resolution, the "G.Refresh Rate" is set to 59.939 Hz instead of 50 Hz.
02-13-2020, 10:38 PM
(02-13-2020 10:00 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 03:37 PM)Seneral Wrote:  Hello,

I don't see why AMD's driver wouldn't use the timing parameters provided by the EDID. The only problem I see is when you entered the custom resolution, the "G.Refresh Rate" is set to 59.939 Hz instead of 50 Hz.
Not sure either, but it definitely does read something wrong. Double checked after reinstallation with factory reset of the radeon software. https://imgur.com/COkKdIT

Yeah not sure why that was not 50.000 there, that screen was from when the drivers didn't even acknowledged the display as 1440x2560 at all (luckily that is fixed now). Pretty sure it was automatically changed. Unfortunately it does not make a difference, radeon software still insists the LCD is incompatible with these settings, which is plain wrong. My other machine managed to drive the LCD just fine with these settings...

Visual glitches still there, btw I can't expain why it works at all (minus gitches, flickering, etc) given that the timings are competely wrong...
At this point it clearly seems like a radeon driver issue, but I can't seem to get help over at the radeon forums. Any tips? Thanks!
02-13-2020, 11:39 PM
(02-13-2020 10:38 PM)Seneral Wrote:  Not sure either, but it definitely does read something wrong. Double checked after reinstallation with factory reset of the radeon software. https://imgur.com/COkKdIT

Yeah not sure why that was not 50.000 there, that screen was from when the drivers didn't even acknowledged the display as 1440x2560 at all (luckily that is fixed now). Pretty sure it was automatically changed. Unfortunately it does not make a difference, radeon software still insists the LCD is incompatible with these settings, which is plain wrong. My other machine managed to drive the LCD just fine with these settings...

Visual glitches still there, btw I can't expain why it works at all (minus gitches, flickering, etc) given that the timings are competely wrong...
At this point it clearly seems like a radeon driver issue, but I can't seem to get help over at the radeon forums. Any tips? Thanks!
For some reason it's using the GTF standard instead, which matches the "Old standard" timing parameters with CRU. What happens if you make any changes with CRU? Try deleting all the detailed resolutions in the extension block since they're just duplicates.

You probably won't get any help on their forum. Try submitting an online service request: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form
02-14-2020, 04:38 AM
(02-13-2020 10:38 PM)Seneral Wrote:  Visual glitches still there, btw I can't expain why it works at all (minus gitches, flickering, etc) given that the timings are competely wrong...
Can you post the EDID as text? Online OCR sometimes confuses some of the digits.

It appears to be a Sharp LS060R1SX01 panel, but the Vendor ID (LZT) and Product ID (1) don't seem to be valid. The CTA extension block includes an HDMI VSDB. Does the display have an HDMI input and audio output (either speakers or headphone jack)?
02-14-2020, 04:08 PM (Last edited: 02-14-2020, 04:12 PM by Seneral)
(02-13-2020 11:39 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-13-2020 10:38 PM)Seneral Wrote:  Not sure either, but it definitely does read something wrong. Double checked after reinstallation with factory reset of the radeon software. https://imgur.com/COkKdIT

For some reason it's using the GTF standard instead, which matches the "Old standard" timing parameters with CRU. What happens if you make any changes with CRU? Try deleting all the detailed resolutions in the extension block since they're just duplicates.

You probably won't get any help on their forum. Try submitting an online service request: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form
Tried that using CRU properly (deleted all the detailed resolutions) and hit ok, then restart64.exe. Crashed the driver and apparently broke it, radeon software was telling me to reinstall the driver, so I did.

Thanks, will try that!

(02-14-2020 04:38 AM)joevt Wrote:  
(02-13-2020 10:38 PM)Seneral Wrote:  Visual glitches still there, btw I can't expain why it works at all (minus gitches, flickering, etc) given that the timings are competely wrong...
Can you post the EDID as text? Online OCR sometimes confuses some of the digits.

It appears to be a Sharp LS060R1SX01 panel, but the Vendor ID (LZT) and Product ID (1) don't seem to be valid. The CTA extension block includes an HDMI VSDB. Does the display have an HDMI input and audio output (either speakers or headphone jack)?
Sure, sorry didn't think of it, here's the full output of xrandr --verbose on the linux rig where it works.
It's this exact LCD with the standard HDMI to MIPI bridge, no audio. It says LS055R1SX03 there, even though CRU says LS055R1SX01, so maybe they silently switched versions in the one year I had it (edit: no, definitely LS055R1SX03, LS055R1SX01 is 6"... guess it makes not much difference but already tells alot about how the board is set up. Might want to try to edit the firmware on the board).
Here's the export of CRU, not sure how this is related to proper EDID. Have failed to parse either of them using an online edid parser, will try offline.
02-14-2020, 05:43 PM
(02-14-2020 04:08 PM)Seneral Wrote:  Sure, sorry didn't think of it, here's the full output of xrandr --verbose on the linux rig where it works.
It's this exact LCD with the standard HDMI to MIPI bridge, no audio. It says LS055R1SX03 there, even though CRU says LS055R1SX01, so maybe they silently switched versions in the one year I had it (edit: no, definitely LS055R1SX03, LS055R1SX01 is 6"... guess it makes not much difference but already tells alot about how the board is set up. Might want to try to edit the firmware on the board).
Here's the export of CRU, not sure how this is related to proper EDID. Have failed to parse either of them using an online edid parser, will try offline.
I used my script at https://gist.github.com/joevt/32e5efffe3...02579b9529 and edid-decode at https://git.linuxtv.org/edid-decode.git/about/ to examine the EDIDs and make modifications which you can import into CRU (from the modified.bin file). Do you need YCbCr mode? 4:2:2? or 4:2:0?

Attached File(s)
.zip  EDID from Seneral.zip (Size: 13 KB / Downloads: 286)