EDID/DisplayID Writer
07-06-2023, 12:36 AM
RE: EDID/DisplayID Writer
(06-30-2023 03:53 PM)NOAMattD Wrote:  Hi Toasty - Thanks for this tool. Do you know of any tools or apps that provide similar functionality for Android?
Android is severely limited. I can't even find an app or tool to calibrate the colors of the screen, much less change the resolution or refresh rate, so you can forget about EDID stuff.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2023, 12:36 AM
(06-30-2023 01:25 PM)xblaster Wrote:  I am trying this tool for MSI GT72VR 7RE. There is MSI mxm GTX1070 card and edp (display port 1.4) panel = > Replaced faulty lcd panel and after this change no GSYNC support and backlight problems with some nvidia drivers. Display is different model. So I tried replace EDID from original one. There is problem with write protected error. So I disassembled this panel and there is winbond spi flash instead of eeprom with pull down resistor for disable writing. After modification (switch to pull up resistor) still write protected error. So then I soldered wires to flash and connected it to external programmer. There were fuses for software data protection. After disabling fuses still error in application. Winbond reflashed via external programmmer but GSYNC is missing. I made some differences in original EDID new panel is 144hz instead of 120hz so I will try flash original EDID now.
The write protected error means the program sent the data but the data didn't change, so it could be a limitation somewhere in the pipeline, such as the GPU's driver or the panel's hardware. DisplayPort is less direct, so the hardware might not be sending the data to the EEPROM.
07-12-2023, 01:08 PM
(07-06-2023 12:36 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-30-2023 01:25 PM)xblaster Wrote:  I am trying this tool for MSI GT72VR 7RE. There is MSI mxm GTX1070 card and edp (display port 1.4) panel = > Replaced faulty lcd panel and after this change no GSYNC support and backlight problems with some nvidia drivers. Display is different model. So I tried replace EDID from original one. There is problem with write protected error. So I disassembled this panel and there is winbond spi flash instead of eeprom with pull down resistor for disable writing. After modification (switch to pull up resistor) still write protected error. So then I soldered wires to flash and connected it to external programmer. There were fuses for software data protection. After disabling fuses still error in application. Winbond reflashed via external programmmer but GSYNC is missing. I made some differences in original EDID new panel is 144hz instead of 120hz so I will try flash original EDID now.
The write protected error means the program sent the data but the data didn't change, so it could be a limitation somewhere in the pipeline, such as the GPU's driver or the panel's hardware. DisplayPort is less direct, so the hardware might not be sending the data to the EEPROM.

Thanks for explanation. I have fixed problem with new panel. After replacing EDID direct in AUO winbond flash via external programmer G-SYNC is working fine.
09-20-2023, 06:44 PM
ToastyX - This might be off-topic, but have you found any 384 Kb or 512 Kb EEPROM HDMI dummy adapters?

I'm still learning, but it looks like the cheap HDMI dummy adapters usually contain a 256 Kb (24C02, etc) EEPROM.

It would be nice to find a 384 Kb or 512 Kb EEPROM to support larger EDID information.
09-22-2023, 05:52 PM
(09-20-2023 06:44 PM)sofakng Wrote:  ToastyX - This might be off-topic, but have you found any 384 Kb or 512 Kb EEPROM HDMI dummy adapters?

I'm still learning, but it looks like the cheap HDMI dummy adapters usually contain a 256 Kb (24C02, etc) EEPROM.

It would be nice to find a 384 Kb or 512 Kb EEPROM to support larger EDID information.
Those are bytes, not kb. Dummy plugs have no reason to use a larger EEPROM, so I wouldn't expect any. This program can't write more than 256 bytes anyway, so you'd need some other method.