NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher
01-31-2013, 08:49 AM
RE: NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher
For those having problems:

When exactly do you get the black screen? After patching and rebooting? After changing refresh rates?
Are you using the NVIDIA control panel or CRU?
What GPU do you have? Are you using SLI?

The HDMI limit is not needed when using dual-link DVI. I will fix that later. 32-bit support also needs to be fixed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2013, 11:36 AM
I think I did a 313 install with the "clean" option selected but I'm not 100% sure if it was. Then patched and rebooted. All was fine in windows. I loaded farcry and the screen went blank, however farcry will default to windowed mode on alt tabbing so I was able to go back in and set it to full screen and continue without issue. At the time I did not have a 59/60hz profile setup so I assume it was OCed. I then loaded xcom and got a perma-black screen. After rebooting it was a black screen in windows as well. It was a bit odd really.
I had only one resolution setup via nvidia control panel.
2x gtx 680 in sli.

Thanks
01-31-2013, 04:21 PM (Last edited: 01-31-2013, 05:24 PM by sephr)
ToastyX: After a full 313.96 upgrade (from 310.90 WHQL) + patch + restart (already in test mode), upon applying (the pre-existing) 120hz 1440p or enabling SLI (I'm using 3x680), my system starts alternating between being responsive and unresponsive every few seconds.

After a full 313.96 clean install + patch + restart, upon enabling SLI the same happens to me as above and whenever I attempt to make a new 120hz 1440p resolution setting for my catleap I get a black screen.

magnus333: A clean install of the driver would remove any custom resolutions so I would think you're on 60hz by default.

Update: Anyone who needs 313.96 for Crysis 3 SLI support can use the latest http://www.evga.com/sli/Default.asp to get the SLI profile for earlier drivers.
01-31-2013, 07:42 PM
Does the black screen happen when you try to test a custom resolution with the NVIDIA control panel?
Do you get the black screen if SLI is disabled?
Does the problem happen at 96 Hz?
Does 80 Hz have the problem? If so, does 80 Hz have the problem without the patch?

(01-31-2013 04:21 PM)sephr Wrote:  After a full 313.96 upgrade (from 310.90 WHQL) + patch + restart (already in test mode), upon applying (the pre-existing) 120hz 1440p or enabling SLI (I'm using 3x680), my system starts alternating between being responsive and unresponsive every few seconds.
Are you using the current version of the patcher (1.1.2)? The pausing should only happen if the SLI limit is not patched.
02-01-2013, 11:10 AM
I did another clean install/patch/reboot and everything is working fine now in 313.
I must not have checked clean install the first time.

Thanks
02-01-2013, 07:45 PM (Last edited: 02-01-2013, 08:22 PM by sephr)
(01-31-2013 07:42 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Does the black screen happen when you try to test a custom resolution with the NVIDIA control panel?
Yes, and only then. If I already have the resolution defined I only get the pausing issue iirc.

(01-31-2013 07:42 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Are you using the current version of the patcher (1.1.2)? The pausing should only happen if the SLI limit is not patched.
I think I used 1.1.2 and it stated that it detected the SLI limit when I ran the patcher even though it didn't work.

Update: Either 1.1.3 fixed it for me or I may have accidentally ran the 1.1.1 patcher instead of 1.1.2. Sorry for wasting your time on that.
02-22-2013, 02:33 AM
1.1.3 does not work with 314.07. Although the drivers have been patched, My monitor still has the 165MHz limitation. More testing needs to be done as the drivers now have a Pixel Clock OC option(which does not work very well).
02-22-2013, 07:58 PM
It's working for me. Did you remember to disable the extension block?

I tested all the possibilities. In fact, they removed some limits starting with 313.95. The pixel clock limits don't apply anymore when using the NVIDIA control panel to add custom resolutions, but the driver still needs to be patched to use CRU.

SLI still needs to be patched to work properly beyond 400 MHz, but the Fermi workaround isn't needed anymore. You can use the HDCP-supported patch if you don't need SLI support beyond 400 MHz.

CRU:

Dual-link DVI works past 330 MHz with the patch.
Single-link DVI and HDMI ports work past 165 MHz with the patch.
Single-link DVI on dual-link DVI ports works past 165 MHz with the patch.
Fermi GPUs work past 400 MHz with the HDCP-supported patch.
SLI needs to be patched to work properly past 400 MHz.

NVIDIA Control Panel:

Dual-link DVI works past 330 MHz even without the patch.
Single-link DVI and HDMI ports work past 165 MHz without the patch.
Single-link DVI on dual-link DVI ports needs the patch to work past 165 MHz; otherwise, it sends a dual-link signal.
Fermi GPUs work past 400 MHz even without the patch.
SLI needs to be patched to work properly past 400 MHz.
02-23-2013, 07:10 AM (Last edited: 02-23-2013, 07:27 AM by Mangix)
I discovered the problem. It turns out that CRU was to blame. So were the nvidia drivers. Here are two pictures:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/102011983/high%...U-60Hz.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/102011983/high%...U-75Hz.jpg

This is an HDTV and the issue seems to be caused by an incompatibility between the newest nvidia drivers and CRU. More specifically, that behavior used to be exhibited when i did not patch the drivers and did not include extension block in CRU. Now the situation is reversed with the latest drivers. For me to go past 165MHz clock rate correctly without that weird glitch, I must not uncheck Include Extension Block.

In other words, I have no problems when I don't change anything but I have problems when I do. I can go 75Hz through the nvidia control panel normally now. No patched drivers needed.

The only "problem" now seems to be that I can't add the resolutions through CRU so that they're always there. But that's acceptable.

edit: I stand corrected. There are multiple problems. While the pixel clock limit is gone, I still have issues relating to HDTV resolutions that crush my colors. Now only that, but with Crysis the game, It's using the lowest refresh rate for my resolution (24Hz) as well as using an HDTV resolution with crushed colors. Looks horrible.

edit2: The custom resolutions also don't show up as supported by Windows which is also very annoying. I remember before asking for a setting in CRU where you can set the signal type. In this case, I'd want it to be HDMI since that's what these drivers like.
02-24-2013, 03:29 PM
CRU just creates EDID overrides. If the driver is not handling the EDID override correctly, then that's purely a driver issue. There might be something else in the driver that needs to be patched for HDMI.

One thing I can't test is pure HDMI. I don't have any "true" HDMI displays. Real HDMI might be treated differently from a DVI monitor plugged into an HDMI port.

The pictures make it look like the video card is trying to send a dual-link signal through a single-link connection, so the display only receives every other horizontal pixel. That should only happen on dual-link DVI ports. That's not supposed to happen with HDMI. If it does, then that's a driver bug.

The signal type is determined by the connection. HDTV-specific information is stored in the extension block, which is why I provided a way to disable it.

If your HDTV has DVI, try using a DVI cable instead. If you have an HDMI-DVI cable/adapter, you can also try DVI on the HDTV's end and HDMI on the computer's end.

If your HDTV doesn't have DVI, try HDMI on the HDTV's end and DVI on the computer's end. If you're using computer without DVI, then I don't know.