Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
04-27-2021, 03:27 AM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(04-27-2021 03:08 AM)pepaelcangri Wrote:  Any recommendation to reduce ghosting? I was using it with 165hz G-Sync and a lot of ghosting (also using overdrive), installed the strobelight setup, and on 144hz without G-Sync it enhance a lot.. Or that's what I feel Hahha Huh
You would need a monitor with a strobing backlight feature.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2021, 09:40 AM
I've tried long time ago with no success the Lightboost tool on 3 VG248QE monitors connected with 3 DP cables to a HD7990 but after playing with things and not getting very far I've abbandoned the idea. Now I find myself trying again but this time the monitors are connected via DP thru a MST hub on a 6900XT.
Still nothing is enabling, I've also tried to flash the 24c02 eeprom in one of the monitors but it turns out to be the EDID table only for the DVI...
I just can't get it working, maybe I'm missing something?
the DDC protocol works because I can adjust a few menu parameters with a tool called "ControlMyMonitor" and by launching the Lightboost app, that has been published here a few post before for a guy with a 5700xt receiving garbage due to drivers, it tells "success" but still the screens are not lightboosting :c

Here's the debug.txt that I got: https://pastebin.com/zWai7pL9

Any help is appreciated! sorry if my english is broken but it's not my native language Smile
06-07-2021, 03:07 PM
(06-07-2021 09:40 AM)FalloNero Wrote:  Here's the debug.txt that I got: https://pastebin.com/zWai7pL9
The debug.txt log shows all three monitors were unlocked successfully, so this is an issue with the installed refresh rates not taking effect, which can happen when using an MST hub. Try adding the refresh rates using AMD Radeon Software by adding custom resolutions for each monitor using the same values shown in CRU after installing the refresh rates with the setup program.
06-08-2021, 02:40 AM (Last edited: 06-08-2021, 03:15 AM by FalloNero)
(06-07-2021 03:07 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-07-2021 09:40 AM)FalloNero Wrote:  Here's the debug.txt that I got: https://pastebin.com/zWai7pL9
The debug.txt log shows all three monitors were unlocked successfully, so this is an issue with the installed refresh rates not taking effect, which can happen when using an MST hub. Try adding the refresh rates using AMD Radeon Software by adding custom resolutions for each monitor using the same values shown in CRU after installing the refresh rates with the setup program.

I've DDUed the drivers and resinstalled the latest ones just to be sure, then ran the "strobelight setup" and installed 120hz strobed and 144hz non strobed.
Opened CRU and read the 120hz mode and manually copied in the radeon software for each screen.
https://imgur.com/a/rvc1z9h

I'll update after the restart! if this works i'll have to open up again the monitor I modified cuz i've changed the current sense resistors for the LED backlight bringing it from 110mA to 120mA, thing is that there are 2 transistor the board that can pulse to increase the current above the maximum average the pannel can use and I think that's for the strobelight (i've cut the traces off so it wont be able to pulse more current)

(06-08-2021 02:40 AM)FalloNero Wrote:  
(06-07-2021 03:07 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  

I've DDUed the drivers and resinstalled the latest ones just to be sure, then ran the "strobelight setup" and installed 120hz strobed and 144hz non strobed.
Opened CRU and read the 120hz mode and manually copied in the radeon software for each screen.
https://imgur.com/a/rvc1z9h

I'll update after the restart! if this works i'll have to open up again the monitor I modified cuz i've changed the current sense resistors for the LED backlight bringing it from 110mA to 120mA, thing is that there are 2 transistor the board that can pulse to increase the current above the maximum average the pannel can use and I think that's for the strobelight (i've cut the traces off so it wont be able to pulse more current)

So after fiddling with things and resetting the custom res a few times turns out the steps are:

- dont even bother with the "setup" just skip into AMD and add the custom resolution here https://imgur.com/a/cKPJLJh (take care those monkeys at AMD say KHz but it's Hz)
- Run Strobelight and wait for it to send the right DDC commands
- Hopefully setup eyefinity Big Grin

Thanks ToastyX for all your work and time
Btw the monitor i've modded is indeed a bit darker than the others, the current overdrive theory was right, i guess time to open it up again :c
01-16-2022, 04:53 PM
Hello,
I had been using Strobelight with no issues for 2 years at Windows 10 and have been using for 3 months at Windows 11. But yesterday, after upgrading my Nvidia Driver to 511.23 version, Strobelight decided not to work with the error of "No compatible displays found." at startup. The strange thing is, I can see the installed refreshed rates and the monitor is working at 3D Mode in monitor's pop up menu. Frankly Strobelight is working as it should but the tray icon isn't there to use because of the error at startup. Is there anything I can do?

Monitor: Asus VG248QE
System: Windows 11

Debug:
Code:
[2022-01-16 19:40:52.542] LOAD(AMD): LoadLibrary("atiadlxx.dll") = ERROR 126
[2022-01-16 19:40:52.543] LOAD(AMD): LoadLibrary("atiadlxy.dll") = ERROR 126
[2022-01-16 19:40:52.736] LOAD(NVIDIA): NvAPI_Initialize() = SUCCESS
[2022-01-16 19:40:52.738] INIT: No compatible displays found.

01-16-2022, 06:03 PM
(01-16-2022 04:53 PM)Jinba ittai Wrote:  I had been using Strobelight with no issues for 2 years at Windows 10 and have been using for 3 months at Windows 11. But yesterday, after upgrading my Nvidia Driver to 511.23 version, Strobelight decided not to work with the error of "No compatible displays found." at startup. The strange thing is, I can see the installed refreshed rates and the monitor is working at 3D Mode in monitor's pop up menu. Frankly Strobelight is working as it should but the tray icon isn't there to use because of the error at startup. Is there anything I can do?
That error means it can't communicate with the monitor. Once 3D mode is unlocked in the monitor, Strobelight only acts as a resolution switcher. Strobing will continue to work as long as the monitor doesn't lose power.

Something must have changed in the driver that broke DDC communication with the monitor. Use this to get a more detailed log: https://www.monitortests.com/strobelight-d2.zip

You can rename that to strobelight-skip.exe to skip initialization, but if the monitor loses power, it won't be able to unlock 3D mode.
01-17-2022, 06:13 PM
(01-16-2022 06:03 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-16-2022 04:53 PM)Jinba ittai Wrote:  I had been using Strobelight with no issues for 2 years at Windows 10 and have been using for 3 months at Windows 11. But yesterday, after upgrading my Nvidia Driver to 511.23 version, Strobelight decided not to work with the error of "No compatible displays found." at startup. The strange thing is, I can see the installed refreshed rates and the monitor is working at 3D Mode in monitor's pop up menu. Frankly Strobelight is working as it should but the tray icon isn't there to use because of the error at startup. Is there anything I can do?
That error means it can't communicate with the monitor. Once 3D mode is unlocked in the monitor, Strobelight only acts as a resolution switcher. Strobing will continue to work as long as the monitor doesn't lose power.

Something must have changed in the driver that broke DDC communication with the monitor. Use this to get a more detailed log: https://www.monitortests.com/strobelight-d2.zip

You can rename that to strobelight-skip.exe to skip initialization, but if the monitor loses power, it won't be able to unlock 3D mode.

Here, got it.
Code:
[2022-01-17 21:08:23.851] LOAD(AMD): LoadLibrary("atiadlxx.dll") = ERROR 126
[2022-01-17 21:08:23.851] LOAD(AMD): LoadLibrary("atiadlxy.dll") = ERROR 126
[2022-01-17 21:08:23.851] LOAD(NVIDIA): NvAPI_Initialize() = SUCCESS
[2022-01-17 21:08:23.851] SEND(NVIDIA, 0, 10, 0.000): <6E> 51 81 59 E7 = ERROR -1
[2022-01-17 21:08:23.851] INIT: No compatible displays found.
01-31-2022, 01:00 AM (Last edited: 01-31-2022, 01:07 AM by Nageki)
Hello. First I would like to extend a long overdue thanks to ToastyX - I've been using Strobelight for many years now with my VG248QE and it has worked wonderfully.
I can second Jinba ittai's report that it appears Nvidia Drivers 511.23 broke something as I can no longer initialize the display. Same error as above:

Code:
[2022-01-31 01:42:11.805] LOAD(AMD): LoadLibrary("atiadlxx.dll") = ERROR 126
[2022-01-31 01:42:11.805] LOAD(AMD): LoadLibrary("atiadlxy.dll") = ERROR 126
[2022-01-31 01:42:11.807] LOAD(NVIDIA): NvAPI_Initialize() = SUCCESS
[2022-01-31 01:42:11.809] SEND(NVIDIA, 0, 8, 0.000): <6E> 51 81 59 E7 = ERROR -1
[2022-01-31 01:42:11.809] INIT: No compatible displays found.

As soon as I rolled back to 497.29 initialization succeeded again (after which I updated the drivers once more, since 3D mode remains active as long as the monitor isn't unplugged from power).
I'm on Windows 10 and both drivers used are DCH.
I hope you can look into this but even if you don't I still appreciate the work you've done; and it's not a major issue to install older drivers to re-init with when there's a power outage (or to connect the monitor to a UPS!).
Best regards!

Edit: I should also note that even when started with strobelight-skip.exe it cannot adjust the initialized monitor's brightness anymore.
02-01-2022, 10:32 PM
If NVIDIA broke something in their driver, I can't do anything about it. Are you using DVI or DisplayPort? I tested with DVI and it still works, but DisplayPort doesn't. You can still initialize the monitor with HDMI or HDMI-DVI if your video card doesn't have DVI. Don't install the refresh rates with HDMI. It will say no strobed refresh rates found afterwards, but don't worry about that. After it's done, you can switch back to DisplayPort and use strobelight-skip.exe. It won't be able to adjust the monitor brightness because it can't communicate with the monitor.
02-02-2022, 12:36 AM (Last edited: 02-03-2022, 02:02 AM by Nageki)
The monitor is indeed connected via DisplayPort to a 3080, so no Dual-Link DVI ports unfortunately.
I will test initializing the monitor via HDMI in the next few days and report back; it's certainly a much better workaround than rolling back drivers.
Thanks for the help and swift response!

EDIT: HDMI initialization tested and working fine. Cheers!