Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
12-30-2013, 02:35 AM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
Hello there everyone, and thanks to ToastyX for this wonderful utility that so far I've been enjoying a lot on my BenQ XL2420TE. I've been trying to find a workaround to extend my desktop to have 3 displays active (my BenQ, second Asus monitor and third Panasonic TV, haven't been successful though), and well, when I tried to install the refresh rates with Strobelight again, I get the following error:

Failed to install refresh rates. Try running as administrator.

I am of course doing this in an Administrator account and running as administrator, with the same computer and monitor I previously was running strobelight with no problems. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2013, 11:20 PM
That's an unusual problem. That should only happen if it can't write to the registry for some reason. Does it let you reset the display?
01-01-2014, 09:18 AM
(12-28-2013 07:43 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-28-2013 10:09 AM)Anywhere Wrote:  Thanks for this little util its very helpful. I´m wondering if you plan on implementing some way to set default strobe brightness so people dont have to change it manually on each boot?
What monitor do you have? The monitor is supposed to remember the brightness, but someone mentioned that the BenQ XL2420TX doesn't. That's a monitor-specific problem. One way around that is to set the brightness manually in the monitor's menu.

I have the benq xl2411t. After your reply I remembered I had nvidia iinspector profiles running on boot but that didn´nt affect the outcome.
01-02-2014, 02:47 AM (Last edited: 01-02-2014, 03:13 AM by DanaG)
Oh hey, I managed to get the monitor into LightBoost mode with Intel HD graphics, at least on my hardware (XL2420TE, Xeon E3-1245v3, DisplayPort).

I just had to run c:\Windows\System32\CustomModeApp.exe (part of the Intel driver), and add a mode with the correct settings.
Original source for the values: http://www.blurbusters.com/?attachment_id=1148

The "scan rate" field is poorly designed -- only the "vertical" portion actually accepts input, and once you enter a number, the "horizontal" portion then gets auto-calculated.

Once I added the custom mode, I went to device manager and disabled, then re-enabled, the Intel video card. A reboot likely would've done the same.

Finally, I went into the Display control panel, and selected that new 120Hz mode.

EDIT: Okay, this might be somewhat off-topic, but it may be possible to sniff what registry changes that Intel tool makes, and then incorporate them into StrobeLight.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-02-2014, 03:57 AM
hello, i have an asusVG248 ( AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series - gigabyte H87-HD3 )

i'm using it for the simplest game in the world, just click when an halo appears ( here is the game ) but i've absolutely no amelioration Sad

for this kind of game , the lightboost should be helpful, no ?

so i don't know if the lightboost works correctly... ( furthermore when i make the testufo i've that :[Image: http://img.imagesia.com/fichiers/eu/frequence_imagesia-com_eu84_small.PNG] )

installation of toasty was good , i've ticked that [Image: http://img.imagesia.com/fichiers/eu/asus_imagesia-com_eu83_small.PNG]

when i turn the strobing, it becames so dark ( grey ) so i must put high brightness but i'vve tested 10% too and not better,

hope someone will can help me because i'm bored to don't see amelioration at this game since the buy of this monitor compare to some others standard monitor ( 2eaches more little ! ) without any specific settings put,
01-03-2014, 06:07 AM
(01-02-2014 03:57 AM)thomasz1 Wrote:  when i turn the strobing, it becames so dark ( grey ) so i must put high brightness but i'vve tested 10% too and not better
That sounds like it's working, but LightBoost won't help much with low frame rate browser games.

Your screen shot shows five VS247 monitors connected. Is that correct? The UFO test may not work properly if a 60 Hz monitor is connected, but LightBoost will function properly.
01-03-2014, 06:09 AM
(01-02-2014 02:47 AM)DanaG Wrote:  Okay, this might be somewhat off-topic, but it may be possible to sniff what registry changes that Intel tool makes, and then incorporate them into StrobeLight.
How did you initialize the monitor? Simply adding custom resolutions is not enough. LightBoost has to be unlocked first.
01-03-2014, 07:24 AM (Last edited: 01-03-2014, 07:40 AM by DanaG)
(01-03-2014 06:09 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-02-2014 02:47 AM)DanaG Wrote:  Okay, this might be somewhat off-topic, but it may be possible to sniff what registry changes that Intel tool makes, and then incorporate them into StrobeLight.
How did you initialize the monitor? Simply adding custom resolutions is not enough. LightBoost has to be unlocked first.

Good point -- I had already unlocked it using a Radeon HD5750, and well before that, an NVIDIA card in a laptop. I haven't unplugged my monitor in a while to check which of those can actually unlock LightBoost.
01-03-2014, 10:19 AM
(01-03-2014 06:07 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-02-2014 03:57 AM)thomasz1 Wrote:  when i turn the strobing, it becames so dark ( grey ) so i must put high brightness but i'vve tested 10% too and not better
That sounds like it's working, but LightBoost won't help much with low frame rate browser games.

Your screen shot shows five VS247 monitors connected. Is that correct? The UFO test may not work properly if a 60 Hz monitor is connected, but LightBoost will function properly.

yes 5 vs247 and 1 VG248 ( and the changes are those of the vg248 of course Wink )

ok, snif Undecided

even though, thank you for the answer Wink
01-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Hello,

I'm using two monitors (BenQ XL2410T and ASUS VG278HE) , both connected with DVI-D cables.

When I use this utility to enable lightboost my secondary monitor (BenQ) displays the following message:
"incorrect cable. Please use the dual-link DVI cable that came with your monitor"

The BenQ supports 120hz.
The ASUS supports 120hz and lightboost.

What steps should I take to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Tom.