Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
01-03-2014, 07:03 PM (Last edited: 01-03-2014, 07:33 PM by redonion)
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
Hi Guys !

I just purchased an Asus VG248QE and installed Lightboost Utility.

HD6950
Asus PB278 [Primary Monitor]
Asus VG248QE

When I can toggle between LightBoost 10% vs 50% vs 100% with "CTRL + ALT + X" combination but when I check the display's refresh rate it selects 120hz automatically, not 144hz.

[Image: http://i39.tinypic.com/2wnr0wj.png]

Games are really better but why I don't see 120 or 144hz on testufo.com ?

[Image: http://i44.tinypic.com/1z38j1s.png]

Also, I am trying to play the games on "Projector Only" with "Windows + P" key since PB278Q is my primary monitor but when I turn "Projector Only" mode screen automaticaly went 144hz and becomes lighter, when I set the screen to 120hz black become much more suitable and natural.

[Image: http://i42.tinypic.com/143p7y9.png]

But either projector only or extend modes, my VG248 looks like bleached.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2014, 06:14 PM
(01-03-2014 07:03 PM)redonion Wrote:  When I can toggle between LightBoost 10% vs 50% vs 100% with "CTRL + ALT + X" combination but when I check the display's refresh rate it selects 120hz automatically, not 144hz.
LightBoost is only possible at 120/110/100 Hz. Ctrl Alt + will switch to 120 Hz to enable LightBoost, and Ctrl Alt - will switch to 144 Hz to disable LightBoost.

(01-03-2014 07:03 PM)redonion Wrote:  Games are really better but why I don't see 120 or 144hz on testufo.com ?
The UFO test doesn't always work properly if a 60 Hz monitor is also connected.

(01-03-2014 07:03 PM)redonion Wrote:  Also, I am trying to play the games on "Projector Only" with "Windows + P" key since PB278Q is my primary monitor but when I turn "Projector Only" mode screen automaticaly went 144hz and becomes lighter, when I set the screen to 120hz black become much more suitable and natural.

[Image: http://i42.tinypic.com/143p7y9.png]

But either projector only or extend modes, my VG248 looks like bleached.
The monitor keeps separate settings for LightBoost and non-LightBoost modes. Adjust the brightness and contrast in the monitor's menu for each mode.
01-04-2014, 06:45 PM
(01-03-2014 04:17 PM)tommy Wrote:  I'm using two monitors (BenQ XL2410T and ASUS VG278HE) , both connected with DVI-D cables.

When I use this utility to enable lightboost my secondary monitor (BenQ) displays the following message:
"incorrect cable. Please use the dual-link DVI cable that came with your monitor"

The BenQ supports 120hz.
The ASUS supports 120hz and lightboost.

What steps should I take to resolve this issue?
Are you using dual-link DVI cables? That message should only appear if the monitor is receiving a single-link DVI signal at higher refresh rates.

What video card do you have? AMD cards normally only have one dual-link DVI port, but then it should run at 60 Hz instead. I've only seen that message if I try to force higher refresh rates over a single-link DVI connection, but that shouldn't be possible unless you used my pixel clock patch. I can't think of any other situation where that message would show up.

If you only installed refresh rates on the ASUS, then it shouldn't affect the BenQ.
01-05-2014, 08:45 AM
(01-04-2014 06:45 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 04:17 PM)tommy Wrote:  I'm using two monitors (BenQ XL2410T and ASUS VG278HE) , both connected with DVI-D cables.

When I use this utility to enable lightboost my secondary monitor (BenQ) displays the following message:
"incorrect cable. Please use the dual-link DVI cable that came with your monitor"

The BenQ supports 120hz.
The ASUS supports 120hz and lightboost.

What steps should I take to resolve this issue?
Are you using dual-link DVI cables? That message should only appear if the monitor is receiving a single-link DVI signal at higher refresh rates.

What video card do you have? AMD cards normally only have one dual-link DVI port, but then it should run at 60 Hz instead. I've only seen that message if I try to force higher refresh rates over a single-link DVI connection, but that shouldn't be possible unless you used my pixel clock patch. I can't think of any other situation where that message would show up.

If you only installed refresh rates on the ASUS, then it shouldn't affect the BenQ.

Thanks, it was just an incorrect cable. I didn't realise that multiple variations of the DVI cable could fit into the one socket.

[Image: http://cdn3.pcadvisor.co.uk/cmsdata/features/3365585/DVI_connectors.jpg]

Currently when I turn strobing on/off, the BenQ is being set to 120hz and hence not working correctly due to the cable. How can I force the benq to stay on 60hz?
01-07-2014, 04:36 PM
I just confirmed that Geforce WHQL drivers 333.21 are still broken in Surround :-\ Still no fix. They probably don't want to fix it so they can sell their G-Sync. Oh well, Friday I'm getting my new BenQ's where Motion Blur Reduction is the click of a button Smile

EVGA Z77 FTW | Core i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz | 16GB G.Skill Trident-X 2400MHz | SLI EVGA GTX Titan SC's | Intel 520 SSD's RAID-0 | ThermalTake 1475watt | 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme - 8941 | Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround®
01-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Just started using this last month and I like it, but my question/concern is, does it matter if your're using DVI or DP cable?

My hardware:
Asus VG248QE
Nvidia 780 Classy
01-08-2014, 03:33 AM (Last edited: 01-08-2014, 03:37 AM by mdrejhon)
(01-03-2014 07:03 PM)redonion Wrote:  Games are really better but why I don't see 120 or 144hz on testufo.com ?
1. Turn on Aero mode. TestUFO is often limited to 60fps in Classic mode.
2. Temporarily move ALL windows to the primary monitor. (If you're using multimonitor)
3. Close all other windows. Make TestUFO the only window.

Then TestUFO is more reliable.
Through these tricks, I'm able to run TestUFO at 144fps on a 144Hz primary, even with a 60Hz secondary.
Web browsers are quite finicky, TestUFO is bleeding edge for its ability to sync to the refresh rate in most web browsers, but multimonitor is tricky.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
Owner of BlurBusters.com and TestUFO.com
01-09-2014, 10:47 AM
Exclamation RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
Hey toasty the asus VG248QE g-sync edition arrived 2 days ago Smile

Pretty happy very nice technology...

Iam a littlebit scared when it comes to the build number tho Big Grin

The major issue tho when i try to initialize stroblight it says no supported displays found or something like that

Is there any way u can make this work?

I mean just imagine it would be totally sick! Big Grin

thanks in advance Idea
01-10-2014, 03:32 AM
(01-05-2014 08:45 AM)tommy Wrote:  Currently when I turn strobing on/off, the BenQ is being set to 120hz and hence not working correctly due to the cable. How can I force the benq to stay on 60hz?
Use CRU to disable the extension block: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...tility-CRU

(01-07-2014 05:33 PM)lokeey Wrote:  Just started using this last month and I like it, but my question/concern is, does it matter if your're using DVI or DP cable?
No, the only difference is DisplayPort supports audio.

(01-09-2014 10:47 AM)Refused Wrote:  The major issue tho when i try to initialize stroblight it says no supported displays found or something like that

Is there any way u can make this work?
I don't have any G-Sync monitors, and I need information on how to control those monitors before I can make it work.
01-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Hi there,

I was wondering if there are any negative effects to my eyes or my monitor if I have strobing on all the time?

Thanks!