AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
10-01-2013, 01:13 AM
RE: AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
(10-01-2013 12:42 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  There's no way for me to know. So far, everything starting with the 5000-series shares the same limits.

Thanks Toasty, thought it was a bit too early to ask. Will be lurking when they are released, cheers again Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2013, 02:04 PM (Last edited: 10-05-2013, 08:11 PM by witcher63)
Hey ToastyX

I have a Radeon HD7990, Windows 7 64bit an OverlordX270OC and have the latest AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher and custom resolution utility. I am using AMD Catalyst 13.9, when the AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher is enabled my desktop looks normal and steam looks normal but in the games The Witcher 2 and Skyrim I have these translucent black lightning bolts across the screen and they are shaking up and down. I have tried it with different hertz like 90, 110, 120, and even 60 but nothing seems to work to get rid of theses translucent black lightning bolts across the screen. As soon as I disable the patcher these bolts are gone. When I had my Radeon HD 7970 everything worked perfect. I have also tried to use different AMD Catalysts but its all the same. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated. With other games like Might & Magic X I get the blue screen of death. The only game that it works on is Tomb Raider with no issues running @ 120 hertz. I would try to run in Tri- Fire HD 7990 and HD 7970 but I don't have a power supply big enough. UPDATE I have been trying other games to see which ones will work and all that happens now is the Blue Screen of Death. It works within Windows but as soon as I start a game I get the Blue Screen of Death not even tomb raider works now. I don't get the blue screen unpatched. Thanks
10-06-2013, 07:02 PM
It doesn't make sense for the problem to happen at 60 Hz. The patch shouldn't affect anything at 60 Hz. I'm don't know why you're getting blue screens either. That's the first I've heard of this.

With higher refresh rates, some people reported needing two CrossFire bridges for games to work properly, but there's no way to do that with a 7990. It might be better to go with two 7970s instead.
10-06-2013, 10:12 PM
(10-06-2013 07:02 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  It doesn't make sense for the problem to happen at 60 Hz. The patch shouldn't affect anything at 60 Hz. I'm don't know why you're getting blue screens either. That's the first I've heard of this.

With higher refresh rates, some people reported needing two CrossFire bridges for games to work properly, but there's no way to do that with a 7990. It might be better to go with two 7970s instead.
I can't, I sold my 7970 to get my 7990, without the patch on everything is fine. It's only when I go into a game this happens, in windows no problem I can go up to 120hertz. As I'm typing this I have it on 120hertz???
10-14-2013, 03:18 AM
I just found out some people are having the same problem with 144 Hz monitors, including the blue screens when starting some games. I recommended someone try adding a second CrossFire bridge and that worked. I don't know how you can work around the problem with a 7990.

There's an issue with CrossFire and higher pixel clocks, and it has nothing to do with the patch. It's affecting people that aren't using the patch. I bet if you try 81 Hz without the patch, you'll get the same problem. The problem shouldn't happen at 60 Hz regardless of the patch.
10-15-2013, 02:53 AM
Sorry if this has been asked already.

I applied the driver patch and now I can do 115hz but still not 120hz. (Have not tried anything in between). How can I get the 120hz resolution to show up.

My only thought was that since it is a 2560x1440 monitor and I have another 1920x1080 60hz monitor running at the same time it might just be too much for my one 6970.

Can someone give some insight.

Thanks.
10-15-2013, 04:36 AM
Try the "LCD reduced" timing option. Is the resolution not getting listed or is the monitor not displaying it?
10-15-2013, 06:28 AM
Thanks that worked. It was not getting displayed before. What exactly does "LCD reduced" mean? Does that mean I am getting reduced performance in other ways?
10-15-2013, 08:23 AM (Last edited: 10-15-2013, 08:26 AM by Black Octagon)
Hey Toasty, a report:

I recently updated from Catalyst 13.6 WHQL to 13.10 Beta. When I did this, I also re-downloaded both the patcher and CRU, as I understand at least one if not both of these has been updated since approx. December 2012 when I first overclocked my Tempest.

My issue is the following: although I can still OC to 120hz as before, and although this seems to run perfectly in games, when I watch Flash videos from within Windows (at 120hz) I get instant and massive screen corruption requiring me to push reset on the tower. As always, hardware acceleration is disabled in the Flash settings. The problem does not occur at 60Hz.

I'm unsure if this is due to the drivers, or to the potential fact that CRU or the patcher have changed in the last year.

The only potential hint I have is that, after resetting, my GPU clock speeds have returned to default in Overdrive, regardless of whether I had them set to high or low clocks.

Very happy to do some troubleshooting but thought I'd ask for your ideas first. Thanks a lot.
10-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Are you sure hardware acceleration is disabled? The only thing I'm aware of that would cause screen corruption with video playback is the memory clock issue I posted on the last page:

(09-22-2013 01:38 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  The screen corruption is a separate issue unrelated to the patch. That happens if you're overclocking the memory on your video card when the vertical total is reduced.

AMD cards are programmed to change clock profiles when video acceleration is active, but the memory clock is not supposed to change when the vertical total is reduced because there isn't enough time for link retraining without screen corruption.

(09-22-2013 01:38 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  "LCD standard" keeps the blanking high enough to avoid the problem, but most 2560x1440 monitors can't handle that at 120 Hz. The easiest way around the problem is to leave the memory clock at stock.

(10-15-2013 06:28 AM)dstathis Wrote:  Thanks that worked. It was not getting displayed before. What exactly does "LCD reduced" mean? Does that mean I am getting reduced performance in other ways?
It reduces the blanking, which reduces the "space" between each line and each frame. This reduces the pixel clock (total pixels per second), which reduces the bandwidth required and provides a more stable signal. It does not reduce performance.

Blanking was mainly used to give CRT monitors time to move the electron gun. LCD monitors don't need as much, but some is still needed for synchronization and processing time. This can vary between different models, so there are standards to make sure every monitor can handle certain values. "LCD standard" uses those values, but many monitors can handle lower values. "LCD reduced" uses lower values for certain resolutions, which helps when trying to get higher refresh rates with some monitors.