Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
09-09-2023, 02:31 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(09-08-2023 01:09 PM)BigChungus0001 Wrote:  A friend of mine has a Dell Inspiron 5458 and he wants to use a lower resolution for gaming in an external monitor plugged through HDMI, but the HDMI uses the Intel HD 5500 integrated GPU instead of the dedicated GeForce 920M. Is there a way so that the external monitor uses the 920M?
The HDMI port should use the GeForce GPU, but resolutions are always handled by the Intel GPU. CRU should work with the Intel GPU for external monitors.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2023, 02:31 PM
(09-09-2023 06:29 AM)JayBee Wrote:  Quick question on CRU with nvidia gpus.
I looked a bit in this thread for an answer, but I couldn't find it, so sorry if it's already been asked/discussed.
I am trying to use CRU to modify the freesync range of my monitor.
It seems to do the job well, except that if I change anything at all, pretty much every nvidia settings in the nvidia control panel completely disappears, like my GPU isn't recognized as a nvidia gpu anymore. If I delete the custom setting, everything goes back to normal. It really doesn't matter what I change, even putting back the default settings manually and keeping it custom profile still has the same issue.
Is there something with the Nvidia app that doesn't like the CRU custom edid overrides?
My setup is windows 11 with a rtx3070Ti, with the latest nvidia drivers, and my screen is a Dell S3422DWG connected through DisplayPort.

Edit: it probably won't help, but CRU doesn't work either on my other PC plugged to my TV, except there it completely crashes the drivers until I connect another screen and manually delete the custom EDID. They are both on windows 11, so I am really wondering if it's a win11 issue.
Both are NVIDIA driver bugs that need to be reported to them.
09-09-2023, 06:32 PM
(09-09-2023 02:31 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-09-2023 06:29 AM)JayBee Wrote:  Quick question on CRU with nvidia gpus.
I looked a bit in this thread for an answer, but I couldn't find it, so sorry if it's already been asked/discussed.
I am trying to use CRU to modify the freesync range of my monitor.
It seems to do the job well, except that if I change anything at all, pretty much every nvidia settings in the nvidia control panel completely disappears, like my GPU isn't recognized as a nvidia gpu anymore. If I delete the custom setting, everything goes back to normal. It really doesn't matter what I change, even putting back the default settings manually and keeping it custom profile still has the same issue.
Is there something with the Nvidia app that doesn't like the CRU custom edid overrides?
My setup is windows 11 with a rtx3070Ti, with the latest nvidia drivers, and my screen is a Dell S3422DWG connected through DisplayPort.

Edit: it probably won't help, but CRU doesn't work either on my other PC plugged to my TV, except there it completely crashes the drivers until I connect another screen and manually delete the custom EDID. They are both on windows 11, so I am really wondering if it's a win11 issue.
Both are NVIDIA driver bugs that need to be reported to them.
Ok thanks, I can do that. But reporting what exactly? Do you have more details about what is causing it in the Nvidia drivers? Are these common issues? I don't see other people having the same problem.
09-09-2023, 09:50 PM (Last edited: 09-10-2023, 01:05 PM by Voigt)
I also have a Samsung G9, for me it is the new OLED G93SC with 5120x1440.
For most games I don't want the full 32:9 aspect ratio, or they simply stretch it either way, so instead I'd like to use 3440x1440, and use the rest of the screen for a video.
Splitting the screen using iShadows VDM works ok, but not perfect. Some applications simply borderless fullscreen to the whole screen and no the designanted area.

As a workaround I use windowed mode, but with that games often only offer either 2560x1440 or 3840x1080.
So I wanted to use CRU to add 3440x1440 as a custom resoltion and also maybe something like 2560x1200 (for topbar window and taskbar in windowed mode)
Sadly this doesn't work. Tried to DDU my driver and freshly install the latest nvidia driver. Also I switched from 240Hz to 120Hz in windows, but didn't change anything. I had't found a disable 240 Hz option in the monitor OSD directly.
09-10-2023, 02:24 PM
Have been using CRU for a couple years now with no issues.
So, I use it to make 21.9 resolutions for gaming (Have a LG C1 77)
Not sure when this started happening but LG had a software update a week ago or so. I’m leaning towards LG update is the cause of the issue.
I can now only use borderless mode instead of full screen, as it squeeze’s, it in at the sides.
MSI Afterburner is displaying 120 fps. I know when I’ve accidently its set to 60Hz it will squeeze the game in.
Current Nvidia driver 537.13-desktop, have tried rolling back to 536.67-desktop as I know this was working but made no difference.
Does anybody else have this issue or know of a fix?

System specs
Win 11 22H2 build 22621.2134
Rampage 6
4090 strix
09-10-2023, 06:58 PM
(02-20-2023 02:49 AM)Elias Wrote:  Hi @ToastyX, I have a few concerns and issues. I have a LG27GN7 240hz monitor, and I am trying to get a resolution of 1720x1080 using CRU.

To begin, when I try to edit my extension block timings the only 1920x1080 option is 144hz when my monitor is 240hz. There is no 240hz option so naturally, I manually changed the hertz to 240 after pressing edit on the detailed resolution of 1920x1080 @143.980 Hz (I have included an image). I am confused as to why I did not have a 1920x1080 @240hz option come up for me.

After copying the timings, deleting all standard resolutions and creating a new one at 1920x1080 @60HZ and pasting the timings into a new detailed resolution, where I had to change the hertz to 240hz from 143.980hz again. I run restart64, and put on the 1720x1080 @240hz res on from the list mode in windows.

After putting on this new res I created, I get a black vertical bar going down the middle of my screen and I have no clue why. I do not know if it is because I had edited the hertz of the resolution in CRU to 240hz when it was originally 140hz even though my monitor is 240hz.

Please help me, I don't know why I am getting a black bar in the middle of my screen

Thank you.

Hey have you solved it yet because I have this same issue word for word?
09-10-2023, 09:58 PM
(09-10-2023 06:58 PM)IamWire Wrote:  Hey have you solved it yet because I have this same issue word for word?
You said you have the "same issue" for two completely different issues without providing any details while ignoring what I said about those issues, so what's the point of posting at all?
(09-10-2023 02:24 PM)ExcessiveGBH Wrote:  Have been using CRU for a couple years now with no issues.
So, I use it to make 21.9 resolutions for gaming (Have a LG C1 77)
Not sure when this started happening but LG had a software update a week ago or so. I’m leaning towards LG update is the cause of the issue.
I can now only use borderless mode instead of full screen, as it squeeze’s, it in at the sides.
MSI Afterburner is displaying 120 fps. I know when I’ve accidently its set to 60Hz it will squeeze the game in.
Current Nvidia driver 537.13-desktop, have tried rolling back to 536.67-desktop as I know this was working but made no difference.
Does anybody else have this issue or know of a fix?
Check if the TV has an aspect scaling option, which might have reset after the software update. If not, you can use GPU scaling with the aspect scaling option.
(09-09-2023 09:50 PM)Voigt Wrote:  I also have a Samsung G9, for me it is the new OLED G93SC with 5120x1440.
For most games I don't want the full 32:9 aspect ratio, or they simply stretch it either way, so instead I'd like to use 3440x1440, and use the rest of the screen for a video.
Splitting the screen using iShadows VDM works ok, but not perfect. Some applications simply borderless fullscreen to the whole screen and no the designanted area.

As a workaround I use windowed mode, but with that games often only offer either 2560x1440 or 3840x1080.
So I wanted to use CRU to add 3440x1440 as a custom resoltion and also maybe something like 2560x1200 (for topbar window and taskbar in windowed mode)
Sadly this doesn't work. Tried to DDU my driver and freshly install the latest nvidia driver. Also I switched from 240Hz to 120Hz in windows, but didn't change anything. I had't found a disable 240 Hz option in the monitor OSD directly.
Try using SRE to add 3440x1440: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...Editor-SRE

I'm not sure what options that model has, but looking in the manual, it's probably the DisplayPort version option. Setting it to DisplayPort 1.2 should disable 240 Hz.
09-10-2023, 10:00 PM
(09-09-2023 06:32 PM)JayBee Wrote:  Ok thanks, I can do that. But reporting what exactly? Do you have more details about what is causing it in the Nvidia drivers? Are these common issues? I don't see other people having the same problem.
That's for NVIDIA to figure out. CRU doesn't do anything that could cause those issues. This is entirely on NVIDIA's end. I have heard both of those issues before.

The driver crashes started around driver version 471.41. Driver crashes can only be driver bugs or hardware issues. I don't know what conditions trigger the crashes because there was nothing wrong with the EDIDs involved and not everyone has the problem.

Someone else also reported the NVIDIA control panel issue recently, but I don't know if it's a new problem or a manifestation of an old problem under certain conditions.

Just tell them these issues happen when using this method for EDID overrides: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/window...itor-edids

CRU can also export .inf files if they want that.

I can take a look at your EDID to see if there's anything unusual. Run this after making the changes that trigger the problem and post the test.txt file here: https://www.monitortests.com/EDID-test.zip