Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-08-2022, 03:44 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(07-07-2022 08:32 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote:  Would it be crazy to just simply show more decimal places?
This would be possible when calculating the actual refresh rate but not for the entered refresh rate because of the precision required during calculations, so there would still be a mismatch in that case as well. I will figure something out for CRU 2.0.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2022, 04:42 PM (Last edited: 07-08-2022, 05:14 PM by NJDeac)
Hello! Thanks for providing this utility. I've been trying to use it to modify a Samsung Neo G7 all morning but seem to be doing something incorrect. My video card is an Nvidia 3090, and I am connected to the monitor via display port.

I am actually trying to underclock the monitor from 165hz to 150hz @ 4k. The default settings only allow for either 120hz or 165hz, but a game I play doesn't play nicely if the refresh rate of the display isn't set to a multiple of 30 (no idea why).

I suspect I am doing something wrong with the extension block setting - see the following link showing the settings for the extension block I added. I've read the instructions like 6 times now and tried several permutations of resetting the display driver and restarting the PC. I've also tried both displayID 1.3 and 2.0.

https://imgur.com/wOBdMJL

CRU doesn't seem to be displaying any sort of default extension block (greyed out or otherwise) for the existing resolutions when I first load it up. There are also no default settings for VRR in the "Display Properties" drop down, and I'm not sure how to set the range limits for H rate and max pixel clock when I try to add VRR settings. Maybe I am doing something wrong there if the monitor is trying to crank up to 165hz but limited to 150hz, and so not taking the new resolution?

https://imgur.com/7oe1JZq

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Update: Apparently switching the monitor from 165hz mode to 120hz mode on the OSD lets CRU actually read the extension blocks. My custom resolution in the DisplayID 1.3 extension block with 150hz still doesn't show up properly in the display settings but this feels like progress.

https://imgur.com/1LhZ9mv
07-08-2022, 05:17 PM
(07-08-2022 04:42 PM)NJDeac Wrote:  Hello! Thanks for providing this utility. I've been trying to use it to modify a Samsung Neo G7 all morning but seem to be doing something incorrect. My video card is an Nvidia 3090, and I am connected to the monitor via display port.
If the Neo G7 is like the G9, it might be using pure DisplayID instead of an EDID, which might not be possible to override. What you're doing would have worked if it were an EDID. With the G9, disabling 240 Hz made it switch to EDID, but then higher refresh rates weren't possible because display stream compression (DSC) was also disabled. Since you have a video card with HDMI 2.1, try using HDMI. HDMI 2.1 should be better anyway because it shouldn't need DSC for 4K @ 150 Hz, assuming the monitor supports the bandwidth required. I can't find a manual for the Neo G7 to see what it supports with HDMI.
07-08-2022, 06:11 PM (Last edited: 07-08-2022, 06:36 PM by Nintendo Maniac 64)
(07-08-2022 03:44 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  This would be possible when calculating the actual refresh rate but not for the entered refresh rate because of the precision required during calculations, so there would still be a mismatch in that case as well

Oh I was only talking about the actual refresh rate anyway because, as of right now, I find that entering something like "75.000" almost always actually results in CRU listing an actual rate of something like "75.004" which, while still way closer than what the cvt command on Linux gives you, is still not close enough for me. Tongue (I usually try to get it down to an error margin of 0.001)
07-08-2022, 06:17 PM (Last edited: 07-09-2022, 08:13 AM by IIISi Z16 HF LE)
(07-07-2022 08:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-06-2022 07:41 PM)IIISi Z16 HF LE Wrote:  HI toastyX
I have little bit progressed .
I have purcahsed more advanced usb-c to hdmi 2.1 adapter Sabrent
Now I can enable HDR on mine Sam TV and windows 11 showing in resolution I can now select 100Hz or 120Hz for 4k but when I select it it just reverts back to 60Hz .
I don't really know whow to use yours soft I have tried to do detailed resolution top one But I tried 4k@120 bit won't let me from all drop down options all red.. Only when I tried 4k@75Hz it allowed select exact reduced. BUt I have restarted windows but it is not showing 4k@75Hz option in windows refresh rate settings.
How can I add ? Or I was wondering how to do 4k@120 but with limited colour sdepth 8bit and dinamic range to limited and output color format to 444 or 422
But you don't include these options in your soft?
You need to use a DisplayID extension block to add resolutions greater than 655.35 MHz pixel clock as explained in the first post. 4K @ 75 Hz should have worked though so the driver is ignoring it for some reason. 4K @ 100/120 Hz should already be defined in the extension block in the TV resolutions data block.

DisplayPort/USB-C has less bandwidth than HDMI 2.1, so the default 4K @ 100/120 Hz requires either YCbCr 4:2:2 or display stream compression (DSC). "Native (PC)" would bring the pixel clock down low enough for YCbCr/RGB 4:4:4 without DSC, but the TV might not support that timing.

8 bpc should always be available. Dynamic range is set in the GPU's control panel and not in the EDID. RGB color format should always be available. YCbCr color formats are listed in the HDMI data blocks in the extension block, but since you're using a DisplayPort/USB-C adapter, it might be in the display properties ("Edit..." button at the top of the main window). YCbCr 4:2:2 is normally supported and should be available without any changes, but I don't know if the adapter is messing that up.
Hi
Unfortunately it doesn't work Sad
I have now bit learned how to add resol in extention block DispalyID .. this all things are alien to me .. I have tried timings; NativePC , CVT-RB , Manual, It showed 120Hz after restart but unfortunately reverted back to 60Hz ..
Problably limitations of this usb-c or something else...
Long time ago when Intel had old graphics control panel I had 5th gen Acer Aspire S7 laptop with It had intel i7 5500U with intel hd 5500 and I was able to achieve 4k@60 in that time was amazing I had 4k@60 Acer 27'' monitor old times heh in 2016 /2017
And I used intel control panel custom resolution only added 4k resolution with CVT-RB timings and it just worked I had to connect it via mini DP to HDMI adapter called Club 3D only adaper on the planet that worked.. (see pics.)
They made two for this 4k@120 adapter too but it is very bad unstable not worked properly people complained on amazon ... Looks like tese adapters or converting 4k@120 is not 100% proper and creating only issues becsue it is massive large data going through .. This sabrent adapter I have is very hot .. god know how long it will last.
But anyway I am little bit happy anyway because I play one game warzone only in 2k120 resolution which works automatically and when I start game it properly game detects 2k@120 max details so am somewhat happy. Before without adapter I had straight cable usb-c to hdmi and desktop was 4k@60 but when I started game it stayed 4k@60 even if I changed resolution in game to 2k .. ANd I was unable to select 120hz so mess ! Now it is all good ! I like this adapter

Maybe if I try monitor which has thunderbolt 4 port it might get 4k@120
Who knows..

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-08-2022, 06:33 PM
(07-08-2022 05:17 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  If the Neo G7 is like the G9, it might be using pure DisplayID instead of an EDID, which might not be possible to override. What you're doing would have worked if it were an EDID. With the G9, disabling 240 Hz made it switch to EDID, but then higher refresh rates weren't possible because display stream compression (DSC) was also disabled. Since you have a video card with HDMI 2.1, try using HDMI. HDMI 2.1 should be better anyway because it shouldn't need DSC for 4K @ 150 Hz, assuming the monitor supports the bandwidth required. I can't find a manual for the Neo G7 to see what it supports with HDMI.

I tried the same steps with HDMI (both with the 120 and 165hz settings enabled in the monitor controls) as well but don't seem to be experiencing any different results than I was over display port. It's possibly a problem with the HDMI cable I had sitting around (not sure if it's 2.1 or not), so I'll try a different one later when I get the chance, but I'm not optimistic.

I suppose I can just swap into 120hz mode when playing the one game that seems to need it and keep 165hz the rest of the time.

I really appreciate the response though!
07-08-2022, 06:45 PM
(07-08-2022 06:33 PM)NJDeac Wrote:  I tried the same steps with HDMI (both with the 120 and 165hz settings enabled in the monitor controls) as well but don't seem to be experiencing any different results than I was over display port. It's possibly a problem with the HDMI cable I had sitting around (not sure if it's 2.1 or not), so I'll try a different one later when I get the chance, but I'm not optimistic.
It should be possible to override with HDMI. Just make sure to keep the CTA-861 data block with the HDMI data blocks because that's required for HDMI.
07-08-2022, 06:45 PM
(07-08-2022 06:11 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote:  Oh I was only talking about the actual refresh rate anyway because, as of right now, I find that entering something like "75.000" almost always actually results in CPU stating an actual rate of something like "75.004" which, while still way close than what the cvt command on Linux gives you, is still not close enough for me. Tongue (I usually try to get it down to an error margin of 0.001)
Adding more digits won't change that. It would only display more digits. The actual value is based on the pixel clock. If you want exact integer refresh rates, CRU has the "Exact" and "Exact reduced" timing options. I will also add "Exact CRT" in the next version.
07-08-2022, 07:21 PM
(07-08-2022 06:45 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Adding more digits won't change that. It would only display more digits.

Yes, I understand that. I just meant that having more digits visible helps when manually tweaking the timings in an attempt to get as close as possible to the desired refresh rate.
07-08-2022, 07:23 PM (Last edited: 07-08-2022, 07:25 PM by NJDeac)
(07-08-2022 06:45 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-08-2022 06:33 PM)NJDeac Wrote:  I tried the same steps with HDMI (both with the 120 and 165hz settings enabled in the monitor controls) as well but don't seem to be experiencing any different results than I was over display port. It's possibly a problem with the HDMI cable I had sitting around (not sure if it's 2.1 or not), so I'll try a different one later when I get the chance, but I'm not optimistic.
It should be possible to override with HDMI. Just make sure to keep the CTA-861 data block with the HDMI data blocks because that's required for HDMI.

Hmm - I dunno what I might be doing wrong. Here's what the screen looks like after a fresh reset-all and restart of the display driver - just the CTA-861 block is listed, which has all of the resolution choices I have available: https://imgur.com/tvmn7Gg

Here's a more detailed look at the extension block, if relevant: https://imgur.com/P91bA8t

Nothing I do to add a DisplayID extension block after seems to do anything - could it be only reading resolutions from the CTA-861 block? There doesn't seem to be any way for me to go over 120hz in the CTA-861 resolutions (which I believe is intended behavior).