Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-25-2020, 01:56 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(11-25-2020 02:59 AM)XAGMNINETY Wrote:  However, the one framerate I can't get to work is 75 Hz, my desktop monitor's refresh. Every time I attempt to input that refresh, the display seems to show only every other frame, or at 37.5 FPS. In the Blur Busters Test UFO tool I posted above, the 38 Hz and the 75 Hz UFO scrolls look identical.
They shouldn't look identical. If the display was only showing every other frame, there would be gaps between each square at 75 Hz, while 37.5/38 Hz would have no gaps. If either the frame rate or the refresh rate reported on the test doesn't match the actual refresh rate, then that's a performance issue with the test, not the monitor. If the frame rate and refresh rate both report 75 FPS/Hz but there are gaps between the squares, then that's the display skipping frames, but laptop screens usually don't skip frames.

(11-25-2020 02:59 AM)XAGMNINETY Wrote:  *EDIT*: No, it does look like the "extension" section is the problem, the first time must have been a bug/not gone through properly. I've replaced my 90 Hz slot with 75 Hz and it's now working properly and smoothly. So, it seems as if I currently have 4 working "detailed resolution" slots, but none of the "extension" slots work. Is there any way to get more "detailed resolution" slots, or fix the issue with the "extensions" so that they behave similarly?
I've never heard of this happening. There should be nothing different about the detailed resolutions in the extension block. If the added refresh rate is listed in the Windows display settings, then the resolution was added correctly. There's no way to add a resolution with the wrong frame rate. Maybe the refresh rate is not taking effect correctly after restarting the driver. Try rebooting instead of running restart.exe.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2020, 09:16 PM
Hi,

I have a Radeon R9 280 connected to a Sony XH9005.

Since the R9 280 only supports HDMI 1.4 (so no 4k60) I tried using a Club3D active Display Port to HDMI adapter.

However, I still only get 4k30 in Windows settings.
When I try to set a custom resolution in the AMD drivers I get a "resolution not supported" message.
I already:
- completely installed the latest Radeon Software (Version 20.11.2)
- added 4k60 to the "detailed resolutions"
- added a "DisplayID > Detailed resolutions" entry with 4k60 to the "Extensions Block"
- edited the already present "CEA-861" block and added 4k60 in "4:2:0 resolutions" (with 4:2:0 checked)
- edited the already present "CEA-861" block and added 4k60 in "TV resolutions".

All with no success, 4K60 still not showing up and I still get the message that the resolution is not supported.

Interestingly, when I use a Display Port 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 Cable (instead of a DP to HDMI adapter, with a HDMI cable plugged into it), I still DO NOT get 4k60 natively in Windows but I CAN set the custom resolution (with the "not supported" message).

The thing is, I would rather prefer the adapter, as my HDMI cable (which supports 4k60) is already completely routed / cable managed, where as the DP > HDMI cable itself is too short.

Any ideas on how I may get 4k60 running with the Club3d DP to HDMI adapter?

BTW: I will keep the constant issues with AMD drivers in the back of my head when purchasing a new graphics card...
11-28-2020, 01:38 AM
(11-27-2020 09:16 PM)sne_res Wrote:  Any ideas on how I may get 4k60 running with the Club3d DP to HDMI adapter?
It should be plug and play. Does the extension block have an HDMI 2.0 data block?
11-29-2020, 09:43 AM
I seem to have trouble using the tool with new nvidia drivers (past 436.30).

If I create a new resolution that worked on previous drivers, system will crash immediately after a reboot or driver restart. My GPU is GTX660.

I have also tried to override EDID with registry, same result. Installing a monitor driver with EDID will fail and cause a BSOD as well. I'm trying to fix corrupted EDID on my monitor but it seems nvidia has blocked EDID override once and for all..
11-29-2020, 02:24 PM
(11-29-2020 09:43 AM)mlleemiles Wrote:  I seem to have trouble using the tool with new nvidia drivers (past 436.30).

If I create a new resolution that worked on previous drivers, system will crash immediately after a reboot or driver restart. My GPU is GTX660.

I have also tried to override EDID with registry, same result. Installing a monitor driver with EDID will fail and cause a BSOD as well. I'm trying to fix corrupted EDID on my monitor but it seems nvidia has blocked EDID override once and for all..
That sounds like a driver bug. Export a file with the changes you made and post it here.
11-29-2020, 03:00 PM
(11-29-2020 02:24 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-29-2020 09:43 AM)mlleemiles Wrote:  I seem to have trouble using the tool with new nvidia drivers (past 436.30).

That sounds like a driver bug. Export a file with the changes you made and post it here.

Here is the changes I have made - simply adding 1440x900@60hz for standard resolution, everything else is empty/unchanged.

Attached File(s)
.bin  pnp09.bin (Size: 128 bytes / Downloads: 248)
11-29-2020, 03:31 PM
(11-29-2020 03:00 PM)mlleemiles Wrote:  Here is the changes I have made - simply adding 1440x900@60hz for standard resolution, everything else is empty/unchanged.
What monitor is this? This looks like a generic EDID that CRU creates if the driver can't read the EDID. You need at least one detailed resolution.
11-29-2020, 05:48 PM
(11-29-2020 03:31 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-29-2020 03:00 PM)mlleemiles Wrote:  Here is the changes I have made - simply adding 1440x900@60hz for standard resolution, everything else is empty/unchanged.
What monitor is this? This looks like a generic EDID that CRU creates if the driver can't read the EDID. You need at least one detailed resolution.

Yeah - I mentioned that my monitor EDID is corrupted thus no EDID is provided at all. I can add one standard resolution and it works fine in older drivers. But in newer ones, no matter what resolution type i add, driver will crash.
11-29-2020, 06:20 PM
(11-29-2020 05:48 PM)mlleemiles Wrote:  Yeah - I mentioned that my monitor EDID is corrupted thus no EDID is provided at all. I can add one standard resolution and it works fine in older drivers. But in newer ones, no matter what resolution type i add, driver will crash.
Does that happen with a detailed resolution? The EDID standard requires at least one detailed resolution. Is the monitor connected using VGA, DVI, or HDMI?
11-29-2020, 06:30 PM
(11-29-2020 06:20 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-29-2020 05:48 PM)mlleemiles Wrote:  Yeah - I mentioned that my monitor EDID is corrupted thus no EDID is provided at all. I can add one standard resolution and it works fine in older drivers. But in newer ones, no matter what resolution type i add, driver will crash.
Does that happen with a detailed resolution? The EDID standard requires at least one detailed resolution. Is the monitor connected using VGA, DVI, or HDMI?

Yes, adding anything will crash driver unfortunately. My monitor is connected via VGA to DVI connector.