Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
04-27-2021, 02:52 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hi, I have an Iiyama S2820HSB-B1 (28' stretched). It normally has a resolution of 1920x360 but in windows it is recognized as 1920x1080. It seems that they use some kind of special process to cut those monitors in half. I've used your application and the issue is that it gives me the correct resolution... but it starts from the middle of the screen (meaning I can't see anything). Is there a way of resolving this?
Thanks in advance!
Joris
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2021, 03:33 AM
(04-27-2021 12:12 PM)Trameur Wrote:  I have an old laptop with an i3-3110M and HD 4000.

When I open CRU, it directly show me my screen resolution of 3440x1440@50Hz in "Detailed resolution", it is a 144hz screen but my other recent laptop also can't go higher than 50Hz so it's fine to me.

I did the export solution for old intel CPU and then use the restart and restart64 but nothing change, the higher it shows is 1920x1080.
I also tried different combination of resolution and refreshrate and nothing shows up.
HDMI or DisplayPort?
04-28-2021, 03:34 AM
(04-27-2021 02:52 PM)Twinsen Wrote:  Hi, I have an Iiyama S2820HSB-B1 (28' stretched). It normally has a resolution of 1920x360 but in windows it is recognized as 1920x1080. It seems that they use some kind of special process to cut those monitors in half. I've used your application and the issue is that it gives me the correct resolution... but it starts from the middle of the screen (meaning I can't see anything). Is there a way of resolving this?
Try keeping 1920x1080 as the first detailed resolution. Then add 1920x360 and enable GPU scaling.
04-28-2021, 11:56 AM
(04-28-2021 03:33 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-27-2021 12:12 PM)Trameur Wrote:  I have an old laptop with an i3-3110M and HD 4000.

When I open CRU, it directly show me my screen resolution of 3440x1440@50Hz in "Detailed resolution", it is a 144hz screen but my other recent laptop also can't go higher than 50Hz so it's fine to me.

I did the export solution for old intel CPU and then use the restart and restart64 but nothing change, the higher it shows is 1920x1080.
I also tried different combination of resolution and refreshrate and nothing shows up.
HDMI or DisplayPort?

Sorry, important information, a HDMI 2.0 cable, the same cable that I use with my more recent laptop that can display 3440x1440@50hz
04-29-2021, 11:58 PM
Hello, I have a laptop with ryzen 7 4800h and it was using CRU to enable freesync on the new display that I manually put on it. But with the new amd driver (radeon adrenalin 21.4.1) it seems that cru doesn't work. The edid override appears in the registry but in windows the new resolution does not appear and freesync doesnt work. It is as if the amd driver blocks CRU changes. Any solution? I could go back to the previous driver but this one brings interesting updates in graphic options and screen colors. Thank you.
05-01-2021, 03:18 AM
Hello!

I'm sorry if this is a frequently asked question. I tried searching the thread, youtube tutorials, etc but couldn't find the relevant information.

I want to enable Freesync on CRT.
A range of 59Hz-61Hz would be mildly useful for emulation and should work just fine on any given CRT.

Why? If you manually define 59.8Hz and 60.10Hz for the same resolution, Windows seems to choose one and ignore the other.
Bypassing that problem with freesync would be neat. Retroarch already supports using gsync/freesync to emulate games at their original oddball Hz.

But I cannot figure out how to make nvidia control panel recognize my display as freesync capable. I'm not even sure if this can be done with an nvidia card on Windows.

I have one DAC connected by HDMI and another DAC connected by DisplayPort. I've had no luck with either.

I am willing to buy a different DAC, or DP->HDMI adapter, or whatever trivial connector may be called for, but I do not want to downgrade to an older driver, nor do I want to add another GPU to my system.

Is it possible to get freesync working through a DAC? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks!
05-04-2021, 01:47 AM
(04-29-2021 11:58 PM)Landinel Wrote:  Hello, I have a laptop with ryzen 7 4800h and it was using CRU to enable freesync on the new display that I manually put on it. But with the new amd driver (radeon adrenalin 21.4.1) it seems that cru doesn't work. The edid override appears in the registry but in windows the new resolution does not appear and freesync doesnt work. It is as if the amd driver blocks CRU changes. Any solution? I could go back to the previous driver but this one brings interesting updates in graphic options and screen colors. Thank you.
I don't know. I have a laptop with a Ryzen 5 3500U, and adding FreeSync is working for me with 21.4.1.
05-04-2021, 01:48 AM
(05-01-2021 03:18 AM)aelius Wrote:  I want to enable Freesync on CRT.
A range of 59Hz-61Hz would be mildly useful for emulation and should work just fine on any given CRT.

Why? If you manually define 59.8Hz and 60.10Hz for the same resolution, Windows seems to choose one and ignore the other.
Bypassing that problem with freesync would be neat. Retroarch already supports using gsync/freesync to emulate games at their original oddball Hz.

But I cannot figure out how to make nvidia control panel recognize my display as freesync capable. I'm not even sure if this can be done with an nvidia card on Windows.

I have one DAC connected by HDMI and another DAC connected by DisplayPort. I've had no luck with either.

I am willing to buy a different DAC, or DP->HDMI adapter, or whatever trivial connector may be called for, but I do not want to downgrade to an older driver, nor do I want to add another GPU to my system.

It's possible with AMD GPUs, but I haven't seen it done with NVIDIA. Also, AMD requires a 10 Hz range, so you'd have to do like 55-65 Hz.
05-04-2021, 04:53 AM
(05-04-2021 01:48 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-01-2021 03:18 AM)aelius Wrote:  I want to enable Freesync on CRT.

It's possible with AMD GPUs, but I haven't seen it done with NVIDIA. Also, AMD requires a 10 Hz range, so you'd have to do like 55-65 Hz.

OK, good to know about the range.

To make sure I've gotten the steps right, what do I do in CRU assuming an AMD GPU? I may not even be doing it correctly at all.

I've tried defining the freesync range, and displayID, but I'm not sure how it all works exactly.

Does freesync have to be defined in the same extension block as the resolutions you're going to use it for?

Should I even need to define a displayID?

Do I need to make the monitor Hz limits match the freesync range, or just define a freesync range that fits within the monitor Hz?

Nvidia knows my displayport DAC outputs VGA and it specifically says "this is VGA", that might be part of the problem, how might I address that?

thank you for your time.
05-05-2021, 01:06 AM
hello!

My Dell Inspiron 3551
Intel HD Graphics Gen7 4EU Valleyview Integrated (SUPPOSED maximum Turbo Boost is 896 MHz)

system (video driver) will crash if i try to up even 1 HZ of refresh rate =>
black screen when applying restart64.exe or system reboot

Could somebody help, please?