Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-21-2021, 10:03 AM (Last edited: 06-22-2021, 03:27 PM by pj-2020)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hi, ToastyX!
Can you advise what makes custom resolution not to set right after OS boot?
Anything that cause display mode change, such as turn on/off GPU scaling, or restart64.exe, etc - do apply them anyway.
The screens below were made

after driver restart (left), and right after boot (right)

Full res pics here (https://ibb.co/album/M9Rzkz)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2021, 12:55 PM
Hey ToastyX!

I am having an issue using CRU with a displayport dummy plug. I cloned the EDID via the "copy" button for my LG C9 tv, and used the "paste" button to override the dummy plug EDID, but it doesn't appear to have any effect at all, even after restarting the driver and the computer. When I relaunch CRU, I see that the dummy plug shows up as having all the same EDID settings as the LG TV, but windows and nvidia control panel seem to treat it the exact same, with resolutions like 4k being locked to the dummy plug's original 17Hz, and even 1080p being locked to 30Hz. Is there some reason these features can't be overridden related to the nature of dummy plugs? I would assume you can set the windows registry to get the GPU to behave however I'd want since there should be no physical constraints to drive an actual monitor.
06-22-2021, 01:04 PM
apologize in advance for the double post

So i have come up with an issue , i don't know if it can be resolved with CRU or not , but my laptop (hp spectre df-100 whenever i Enable the nvidia gpu it automatically disables the Integrated intel gpu and I cant seem to get them "both active" and
i cant permanently disable the intel without it defaulting to to the basic display adpter
so I'm trying to revert the edid of the intel uhd630 gpu to its basic throwing a "this graphics card is not supported" this could be due to EDID corruption like the edid getting corrupted with the override ) (I have refreshed my computer and reformatted my drive with no success

if so could someone provide the spectre x360 4k monitor edid or something to at least compare to?
ive tried everything to even resetting my laptop and even that didn't fix the Error

i m just looking at possibilities of what could be wrong.. and how to fix it enabling the nvidia graphics "disables" the Intel gpu capabilities (and i dont have access to the extended capabilities of the nvidia gpu unless a external monitor is connected

this is a last ditch attempt to fix it before i have to send it in so help would be appreciated

(sorry about previous post chose the wrong image to attached) there is no monitor        
06-22-2021, 11:03 PM
So I havent had to use this CRU software since my Vega64. I've got an RX6800 now and things were going fine then the latest Radeon update killed my secondary monitor which is a Qnix DVI only korean special. Got the old White, Red, Blue screen on boot. Almost bought a new DVI to DP or HDMI cable when I looked at the resolution settings for the monitor and it was being seen as 640x800 or whatever and that was the only resolution available. FFW to installing CRU and force setting the Qnix to default 1440p settings and after a hung reboot, I'm back in business. Thanks CRU devs!
06-23-2021, 01:16 AM
(06-20-2021 04:44 AM)AnatolM Wrote:  I've try with CRU all presets for native resolution 2560x1600@60-40 (before and after patch the driver), set different blocks with import hdmi2 and hdmi data and turning on Support Dual-Link DVI, add native resolution to Detailed Resolution, try all Types of Extension Block. Repeat - A6 - is working fine with same setting sand same cable and same connector HDMI-DVI-D. I don't have cable USB-C to DP, of course sure it'll be works fine, but need time for delivery it from Aliexpress and extra money for it. But as I said - the old A6 works fine with this connection.
Normally AMD doesn't allow HDMI-DVI beyond 165 MHz without patching the driver, so if the A6 worked without patching the driver, then that's actually a driver bug. I can't guarantee that patching the driver will work on all models because sometimes certain limits only apply to certain hardware. The other way around the HDMI-DVI limit is to add an HDMI data block. If that doesn't seem to work, try unplugging and plugging the monitor in after restarting. If you get a USB-C to DP cable, you won't have to deal with these limits.
06-23-2021, 01:22 AM
(06-20-2021 07:13 PM)nihaomiao Wrote:  Using CRU disabled freesync in the AMD driver saying "it's not supported".

All I did was:

Enable GPU scaling (needed it for something)
Notice windows removes the 75hz setting then which is the max my monitor supports.
Used CRU to simply add it back.
AMD driver disabled freesync.

Asus VG245
5700 XT
I don't see how you used CRU to add 75 Hz back when the monitor already defines 75 Hz, and enabling GPU scaling shouldn't disable refresh rates, so that seems like a driver bug. Try including the range limits using the "Edit..." button at the top. CRU doesn't normally include that, and it shouldn't be needed for HDMI FreeSync, but maybe that's another driver bug.
06-23-2021, 01:25 AM
(06-21-2021 10:03 AM)pj-2020 Wrote:  Hi, ToastyX!
Can you advise what makes custom resolution not to set right after OS boot?
Anything that cause display mode change, such as turn on/off GPU scaling, or restart64.exe, etc - do apply them anyway.
The screens below were made

after driver restart (left), and right after boot (right)

Full res pics here (https://ibb.co/album/M9Rzkz)
That would be a driver bug, but I don't know what circumstances trigger the bug because most people don't have that problem. Try disabling fast startup. If that doesn't help, run this on boot to work around the problem: https://www.monitortests.com/reload.zip
06-23-2021, 01:32 AM
(06-22-2021 12:55 PM)andrewk36 Wrote:  I am having an issue using CRU with a displayport dummy plug. I cloned the EDID via the "copy" button for my LG C9 tv, and used the "paste" button to override the dummy plug EDID, but it doesn't appear to have any effect at all, even after restarting the driver and the computer. When I relaunch CRU, I see that the dummy plug shows up as having all the same EDID settings as the LG TV, but windows and nvidia control panel seem to treat it the exact same, with resolutions like 4k being locked to the dummy plug's original 17Hz, and even 1080p being locked to 30Hz. Is there some reason these features can't be overridden related to the nature of dummy plugs? I would assume you can set the windows registry to get the GPU to behave however I'd want since there should be no physical constraints to drive an actual monitor.
The dummy plug is probably using a single lane with a low link rate just to emulate a barebones monitor, so there isn't enough bandwidth to do what you want. You would have better luck with an HDMI dummy plug, but the LG C9 uses HDMI 2.1, and I don't know if there are any HDMI 2.1 dummy plugs out there. There might be HDMI 2.0 dummy plugs, which would get you 4K @ 60 Hz at least. What are you trying to use the dummy plug for?
06-23-2021, 01:53 AM
(06-22-2021 01:04 PM)Omiyaru Wrote:  So i have come up with an issue , i don't know if it can be resolved with CRU or not , but my laptop (hp spectre df-100 whenever i Enable the nvidia gpu it automatically disables the Integrated intel gpu and I cant seem to get them "both active" and
i cant permanently disable the intel without it defaulting to to the basic display adpter
so I'm trying to revert the edid of the intel uhd630 gpu to its basic throwing a "this graphics card is not supported" this could be due to EDID corruption like the edid getting corrupted with the override ) (I have refreshed my computer and reformatted my drive with no success

if so could someone provide the spectre x360 4k monitor edid or something to at least compare to?
ive tried everything to even resetting my laptop and even that didn't fix the Error

i m just looking at possibilities of what could be wrong.. and how to fix it enabling the nvidia graphics "disables" the Intel gpu capabilities (and i dont have access to the extended capabilities of the nvidia gpu unless a external monitor is connected

this is a last ditch attempt to fix it before i have to send it in so help would be appreciated

(sorry about previous post chose the wrong image to attached) there is no monitor
I don't understand what this issue has to do with the EDID or how the screenshots relate to your problem. The EDID is for the monitor, not the GPUs. The behavior you're talking about sounds like it's intentional by design. The laptop uses switchable graphics.
06-23-2021, 04:59 AM
(06-23-2021 01:16 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Normally AMD doesn't allow HDMI-DVI beyond 165 MHz without patching the driver, so if the A6 worked without patching the driver, then that's actually a driver bug. I can't guarantee that patching the driver will work on all models because sometimes certain limits only apply to certain hardware. The other way around the HDMI-DVI limit is to add an HDMI data block. If that doesn't seem to work, try unplugging and plugging the monitor in after restarting. If you get a USB-C to DP cable, you won't have to deal with these limits.

I don't see that was the bag - A6 is from HP and driver was from it and was one more different: that driver showed the link speed in «Current link settings» of Display Specs — new drivers: «Current Link Settings — Not Available»