Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-15-2022, 04:33 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(06-15-2022 02:59 AM)wenbei999 Wrote:  
(06-12-2022 05:21 AM)wenbei999 Wrote:  Unfortunately it does not work using CVT-RB in AMD Adrenaline, since I cannot specify vertical blanking. I guess you can't do anything if it's an AMD driver issue....

Could this be related to me having the same monitor twice in the drop down? I tried to delete it but it does not work.

Hi ToastyX,

I think I figured it out. I use the same monitor with my work computer and personal computer (separate inputs) and the issue might be caused by the monitor switching inputs. I tested this by turning the monitor off and on again, and it results in the same issue with the CRU settings not applied. The computer was on the whole time so it wasn't actually caused by windows going to sleep.

Is this still an AMD driver issue or is there some way to fix it?

Thanks.
I haven't heard of EDID overrides not being applied after turning a monitor off and back on, nor should switching refresh rates cause an EDID override to load. Normally EDID overrides take effect when the driver loads or after a monitor is connected, and in rare cases where it doesn't, the driver has to be restarted. Maybe the settings are actually being applied, but there's another issue causing the memory clock to stay at maximum. You could verify this by adding a refresh rate that doesn't exist by default. If the settings aren't taking effect, the refresh rate won't exist. The second monitor entry in CRU is a side effect of restarting the driver and shouldn't have any effect.

As for Adrenalin custom resolutions, CVT-RB should provide enough blanking already, or you can specify the parameters manually. The total includes the blanking.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2022, 04:33 AM
(06-14-2022 11:48 AM)marxzoe Wrote:  I'm using a headless HDMI dongle to create a virtual Windows desktop in VR. I am now on a quest to increase the size of this desktop to humongous proportions.

I first used CRU to push the HDMI dongle to its maximum pixel clock limit. Then I turned to Nvidia's custom resolution tool to increase this even further by creating custom resolutions that are then scaled down to the monitor resolution.

However, at some point, I am not able to go further. Instead I'm getting the error message from the Nvidia control panel that my monitor does not support the new resolution.

Which I don't understand: isn't the scaling done by the GPU alone? What role does the HDMI dongle's capabilities play? What is the limiting factor here?
You'd have to ask NVIDIA about scaling limtations. Maybe the scaler has resolution or bandwidth limitations, or the driver is applying some pixel clock limit when it shouldn't. You might be able to go higher by enabling DSR instead of using NVIDIA's custom resolutions.
06-17-2022, 09:52 PM
Hello!
I'm new to this and have a question: is it possible to display scale with my 360hz monitor? I have the aw2521h and when I try to set up a custom resolution with 360hz the number turns red and I can't click "ok".
06-18-2022, 06:07 PM
Hi! Need help! I use Vega 64 Pixel 4.2.0, TV Samsung Q80T(game mod, HDMI 2.1 port, FreeSync) and HDMI 1.4 cable. While using driver version 21.5, it could work in 120hz UHD mode (atikmdag-patcher). After updating the driver to version 21.12.1 - 120hz disappeared from the list - CRU helped. Now I installed the latest drivers 22.5.2 and I can’t run UHD 120hz Freesync - no 120hz setting, atip and CRU dont help.
06-18-2022, 11:46 PM
(06-18-2022 06:07 PM)LIGHT Wrote:  Hi! Need help! I use Vega 64 Pixel 4.2.0, TV Samsung Q80T(game mod, HDMI 2.1 port, FreeSync) and HDMI 1.4 cable. While using driver version 21.5, it could work in 120hz UHD mode (atikmdag-patcher). After updating the driver to version 21.12.1 - 120hz disappeared from the list - CRU helped. Now I installed the latest drivers 22.5.2 and I can’t run UHD 120hz Freesync - no 120hz setting, atip and CRU dont help.
How did CRU help? What did you do with CRU? The patcher was not made for that situation, so I don't understand how that helped either. This really sounds like a driver issue that should be reported to AMD.
06-18-2022, 11:47 PM
(06-17-2022 09:52 PM)ruisuVL Wrote:  I'm new to this and have a question: is it possible to display scale with my 360hz monitor? I have the aw2521h and when I try to set up a custom resolution with 360hz the number turns red and I can't click "ok".
This is answered in the first post.
06-20-2022, 09:02 AM (Last edited: 06-20-2022, 09:03 AM by pneumatic)
Hello,

Is there a trick to getting both n/1 and n/1.001 modes exposed through Windows display settings dialog?

eg. On my Nvidia system, I can create with CRU the following modes: [23.976hz, 24.000hz, 59.940hz, 60.000hz, 119.88hz, 120.00hz] and these will appear in Windows display settings as [23hz, 24hz, 59hz, 60hz, 119hz, 120hz].

However on my AMD GPU system, I only get [24hz, 60hz, 120hz] appearing in Windows display settings.

The trick to getting all modes exposed on the Nvidia system was to add them to a new DisplayID 1.3 block in CRU and delete the corresponding n/1 modes from the CTA block's "TV resolutions" sections.

However this trick doesn't work on my AMD system. The only way I can get both n/1 and n/1.001 modes exposed is by creating the missing n/1.001 ones in Radeon Settings custom resolution utility. However that utility sucks and is full of bugs (which I can work around, but it's still janky and I much prefer to use CRU).

I tried auditing the registry with tool RegScanner to see what registry keys were being modified when clicking Apply in Radeon Settings custom resolution, but I couldn't glean anything coherent.

My current hypothesis is that perhaps it's up to the GPU driver whether it adds modes from the EDID to the list of modes exposed through Windows display settings. I'm guessing there is some WinAPI function that does that which Nvidia is calling but AMD isn't.

On the other hand, this article says that both n/1 and n/1.001 modes should be exposed, so I don't really know what's going on.
06-20-2022, 06:52 PM
(06-20-2022 09:02 AM)pneumatic Wrote:  Is there a trick to getting both n/1 and n/1.001 modes exposed through Windows display settings dialog?

eg. On my Nvidia system, I can create with CRU the following modes: [23.976hz, 24.000hz, 59.940hz, 60.000hz, 119.88hz, 120.00hz] and these will appear in Windows display settings as [23hz, 24hz, 59hz, 60hz, 119hz, 120hz].
Historically, CRU has not been able to do this. Anything in the [23.5, 24.5) range is considered to be 24 Hz by Windows, so only the first one defined takes effect. In some cases, the driver will add 23 Hz as an alias of 24 Hz. NVIDIA does this for TV resolutions or if the lower version is defined. AMD only does this for TV resolutions. The only way around this is to define the lower version using AMD's control panel because it can specify the listed refresh rate (at the top) separately from the actual refresh rate (G.Refresh Rate). There's no way to do this with EDID overrides. The behavior of listing 23.976 Hz as 23 Hz if 24 Hz exists seems to be NVIDIA-specific because both should be considered 24 Hz, and I don't remember NVIDIA doing this before, so I don't know if this changed at some point.

Newer versions of Windows are capable of having multiple fractional refresh rates, but I don't think AMD has implemented this yet. NVIDIA seems to be able to do it, but the fractional versions only appear in the Windows advanced display settings. Anything using the older APIs (including the display adapter properties) still use the integer versions.
06-20-2022, 10:32 PM
Hello, how are you?

I am writing because I am having problems with CRU now in Windows 11. It no longer locks the resolution as before in Windows 10. I have a GTX 550 ti on a CRT display which does not correctly recognize the supported resolution and frequency. These go higher than they really should. My max screen resolution is 1280x1024 at 60hz, and I used to set this to CRU and higher resolutions disappeared from the list, just as I expected. But now it doesn't work anymore. It shows resolutions out of support and therefore the programs start believing that my resolution is 2500x..... Do you know anything about this? I hope you can help me to solve this problem. I really used this program a lot and would like to continue using it.
If you need more information I can provide you.
Thanks in advance
06-21-2022, 05:54 AM
(06-20-2022 10:32 PM)FrannDzs Wrote:  Hello, how are you?

I am writing because I am having problems with CRU now in Windows 11. It no longer locks the resolution as before in Windows 10. I have a GTX 550 ti on a CRT display which does not correctly recognize the supported resolution and frequency. These go higher than they really should. My max screen resolution is 1280x1024 at 60hz, and I used to set this to CRU and higher resolutions disappeared from the list, just as I expected. But now it doesn't work anymore. It shows resolutions out of support and therefore the programs start believing that my resolution is 2500x..... Do you know anything about this? I hope you can help me to solve this problem. I really used this program a lot and would like to continue using it.
If you need more information I can provide you.
Thanks in advance
It sounds like your CRT doesn't have an EDID, or the cable is missing the DDC pins. Windows 11 does not seem to process EDID overrides for displays without an EDID. You might have better luck using an HDMI to VGA adapter, which will provide a default EDID if missing, which you can then override with CRU if needed. Without an EDID, NVIDIA provides a default list of resolutions. You can edit that list by searching the registry for NV_Modes and using this guide: http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/43.45...de_2.1.pdf