Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-04-2022, 05:57 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-21-2022 06:18 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-21-2022 08:29 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote:  Restart 1.3 can trigger it, if either or both of the driver unloaded dpi and loaded dpi are above 100% (native is 150% on my TV), i use 125% or 100% depending on if the tv is on or off respectively.

Restart 1.5 doesn't seem to have that condition and introduces the issue either way

It may be exploding an until now unknown bug in Explorer.exe regarding glyph or icon rendering, i did notice at 150% that during the restart process with 1.3, some icons do not finish redrawing on the task bar before the driver is started again.
Is this with Windows 10 or 11? I'm not seeing the problem with Windows 10 regardless of the DPI. I don't think the redrawing has anything to do with the problem. That shouldn't affect actions after the redrawing is complete.

Release 526 has fixed this issue, along with some errant sub 0.1% cpu usage the UMD was churning in the shell process.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2022, 07:11 PM (Last edited: 11-04-2022, 07:30 PM by mbsbobo)
Hi ToastyX, greetings to you,
Hope all is well with you today.

I am running Geforce RTX 3050 OC version of MSI with Intel Core i5 12600KF and Gigabyte G27QC A Gaming Monitor at 2560 X 1440P with tons of flickering. VA Panel.
Windows 11 Pro 22H2 update
Nvidia driver 526.47 gaming
DX 12_2 Ultimate? supposedly

I had found this CRU through Reddit postings and had some help which has reduced significantly the tons of flickering.

Mouse clicking in Notepad for one caused flickering on the VA Panel.
Mouse clicking in OneNote Windows 10 Version caused flickering.
These are now not flickering.

In game flickering like madness has now been reduced to tiny amounts--traceable but not significantly. Every now and then.

I wanted to ask about the Raising of Frequency from 165Hz to higher with CRU.
How and where would this be done?

Thank you kindly for taking the time to make this app. It works.

I would not know the values to put in V rate H rate and Max Pixel clock.

I was wondering what the values I could put in each would be.

Thank you
11-04-2022, 10:35 PM (Last edited: 11-04-2022, 10:59 PM by IAmOrion)
(11-04-2022 03:01 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  It can, but I don't think that's the case with VR desktop. There's something unique on your system because Windows 11 22H2 should have no problems with custom resolutions.

The only thing that changed from it working to not working, was the 22H2 update, nothing else changed, no new software, no new drivers (Other than using DDU to reinstall AMD stuff).

Guess I'll have to give up since re-installing windows just for this isn't feasible

EDIT: I was looking at other stuff - and bugger me, I found it under Advanced Settings > Advanced Display Properties > List All Modes. I was then able to choose the resolution (1920x480) that I had created and it worked! Although, it appears to be a valid entry already. I *removed* what I had changed in CRU, I also used reset.exe then restart64.exe and the 1980x480 options still shows even though those entries are not listed in CRU. So no idea what's actually going on!

[Image: Screen-Shot-04-11-2022-22-49-36.png]

So now I guess the question, is why the bloody hell doesn't it show in the Windows Display drop down? Why is it only showing in the "List All Modes" area?
11-05-2022, 01:53 AM (Last edited: 11-05-2022, 01:54 AM by ToastyX)
(11-04-2022 10:35 PM)IAmOrion Wrote:  EDIT: I was looking at other stuff - and bugger me, I found it under Advanced Settings > Advanced Display Properties > List All Modes. I was then able to choose the resolution (1920x480) that I had created and it worked! Although, it appears to be a valid entry already. I *removed* what I had changed in CRU, I also used reset.exe then restart64.exe and the 1980x480 options still shows even though those entries are not listed in CRU. So no idea what's actually going on!

[img]

So now I guess the question, is why the bloody hell doesn't it show in the Windows Display drop down? Why is it only showing in the "List All Modes" area?
You didn't say anything about adding low resolutions. Windows does not list resolutions less than 600 lines in the display settings unless no higher resolutions exist, but that's not new to 22H2. It's been like that since Windows XP at least. The advanced display settings will list down to 480 lines.

If reset-all.exe doesn't remove the resolution, then it exists somewhere else. Did you add it using AMD's control panel? That's separate and not affected by reset-all.exe.
11-05-2022, 02:05 AM
(11-04-2022 07:11 PM)mbsbobo Wrote:  I had found this CRU through Reddit postings and had some help which has reduced significantly the tons of flickering.

Mouse clicking in Notepad for one caused flickering on the VA Panel.
Mouse clicking in OneNote Windows 10 Version caused flickering.
These are now not flickering.

In game flickering like madness has now been reduced to tiny amounts--traceable but not significantly. Every now and then.

I wanted to ask about the Raising of Frequency from 165Hz to higher with CRU.
How and where would this be done?
Notepad and OneNote shouldn't cause flickering. I wouldn't keep a monitor with that kind of problem.

High refresh rate monitors with FreeSync/G-SYNC usually won't accept higher refresh rates beyond 1-2 Hz. You would have to add it as a detailed resolution in a DisplayID extension block, and you should make the upper end of the range match to make it work with FreeSync/G-SYNC. I don't think NVIDIA uses the horizontal and max pixel clock information, but the max pixel clock must be a multiple of 10 and should be high enough to accommodate the detailed resolution's pixel clock, and the horizontal rate should match the detailed resolution's horizontal rate rounded to the nearest integer. Usually people just change the vertical rate and that's it.
11-05-2022, 03:19 AM
thanks ,I had learn how set the color format in the GPU's control panel,but is there a way to define the default color format via edid?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-05-2022, 03:29 AM
(11-05-2022 03:19 AM)simon52min Wrote:  thanks ,I had learn how set the color format in the GPU's control panel,but is there a way to define the default color format via edid?
That's not in the EDID. RGB is always supported. The only thing you can do is remove the YCbCr color formats by editing the HDMI data block. Colorimetry has nothing to do with this.
11-05-2022, 05:35 AM
Could you tell me how to remove the YCbCr color formats by editing the HDMI data block specifically?
11-05-2022, 02:32 PM
(11-05-2022 05:35 AM)simon52min Wrote:  Could you tell me how to remove the YCbCr color formats by editing the HDMI data block specifically?
It should be obvious. Is there not an HDMI data block?
11-05-2022, 03:13 PM
(11-02-2022 06:29 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-01-2022 10:39 PM)Poseidon Wrote:  So my monitor (AORUS FI32Q-X) has the stupid 4k downscaling technology for compatibility with consoles since it's a 1440p monitor, so my computer thinks it's a 4k monitor because of this. I tried using CRU to remove the 4k resolutions from both the TV Resolutions data block and the Display ID 1.3 extension block. Every time I do this and use restart.exe or restart-64.exe all of my displays start glitching, freeze on whatever it is displaying, and then go black and stay black getting a little brighter then go back to black.
What GPU do you have? This sounds like a driver bug.
I have an MSI RTX 2070 Super updated to the latest drivers. I tried using different drivers but no luck with CRU.