Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-05-2022, 04:13 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-30-2022 04:05 PM)terry98 Wrote:  Hi ToastyX, I don't think this is a cru problem but maybe here can help me out, this is my problem..

I can create a 4k exact resolution using CRU, with let's say we 300 lines of back porch.. when gaming using RTSS, when the sync value is 0 the tearline might or not show up on screen (this is ok), at 1 it shows at the 1/10th of the screen (more or less which is ok), the problem starts here, if you start moving the tearline down you can see the sync value changing but the tearline wont move until you get to 210 (300-90), after 210 you will see the line moving down, the last visible line for the tearline is always 90 lines before the total vertical and the tearline will stay up at the top of the screen while the sync value is lower than the vertical blanking. resuming, no matter the vertical blanking I use (tried with up to 2500VT using CRU) I only have 90 lines below the active image.

Hi ToastyX maybe you can look into this, I managed to fix it and return RTSS to the normal behavior by creating the resolution using DisplayID block with the blanking increased in the front porch and setting the block after the CTA-861 block (I had it before the CTA block) also I had to force synctotal =2500 in RTSS global template, if I don't use the increased front porch and the displayid after the CTA-861 it would simply not work. I'm using a Sapphire nitro+ RX 6800.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2022, 05:13 PM
(06-27-2022 11:13 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-26-2022 04:34 PM)toretobcn Wrote:  Also I realize that for the HDMI 2.0 cable the Nvidia control panel does not detect the Gsync Compatible option.

Can you give me some clue or some information about what kind of cable would be more convenient to use? dp1.4 as the gpu gives me to the dp1.2 port of the monitor? or pull by HDMI?

It is curious, when I connect it by HDMI to 1440p at 60hz in windows11 the able to be configured to 12bits but instead by displayport at 60hz only to 10bits.

I would like to be able to activate the Gsync compatible option at least at 120hz or 144hz with 10bits, but I do not know how to do it.

I know it is very selfish of me, is there any tutorial for these things? or information I can read to understand how to create blocks? or see if there are blocks available? and start playing?

You need to use DisplayPort if you want G-SYNC because NVIDIA does not support G-SYNC with HDMI 2.0.
  • 120 Hz at 10 bpc should be available automatically with DisplayPort 1.2.
  • 144 Hz at 10 bpc might be possible with DisplayPort 1.2 if you edit the detailed resolution (might be in the extension block) and reduce the blanking/totals to keep the pixel clock below 576 MHz (with some overhead it might be 572 MHz).
  • 60 Hz and 100 Hz at 12 bpc is possible if the max color depth is set to 12 bpc. You can edit the max color depth for DisplayPort using the "Edit..." button at the top of the main window, but the monitor might not actually support 12 bpc. The monitor might accept 12 bpc but downsample to 10 bpc.
  • 120 Hz at 12 bpc might be possible if you reduce the blanking/totals to keep the pixel clock below 480 MHz (or 476 MHz with overhead).
You shouldn't need to add any data blocks because the monitor already defines what it supports. There are various tutorials out there made by other people, but they often leave out important information and add unnecessary steps. You should read the first post about extension blocks since you have an NVIDIA GPU, and the detailed resolution section has some important information.

This might help as well:
https://www.monitortests.com/blog/timing...explained/
https://www.monitortests.com/blog/common...ck-limits/

In the end I left it as impossible!

I do what you say but the monitor does find out! neither in 120hz nor in 144hz! does not matter!!

the max pixel you have in EDIT is 690mhz
11-06-2022, 05:54 PM
(11-05-2022 02:05 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-04-2022 07:11 PM)mbsbobo Wrote:  I had found this CRU through Reddit postings and had some help which has reduced significantly the tons of flickering.

Mouse clicking in Notepad for one caused flickering on the VA Panel.
Mouse clicking in OneNote Windows 10 Version caused flickering.
These are now not flickering.

In game flickering like madness has now been reduced to tiny amounts--traceable but not significantly. Every now and then.

I wanted to ask about the Raising of Frequency from 165Hz to higher with CRU.
How and where would this be done?
Notepad and OneNote shouldn't cause flickering. I wouldn't keep a monitor with that kind of problem.

High refresh rate monitors with FreeSync/G-SYNC usually won't accept higher refresh rates beyond 1-2 Hz. You would have to add it as a detailed resolution in a DisplayID extension block, and you should make the upper end of the range match to make it work with FreeSync/G-SYNC. I don't think NVIDIA uses the horizontal and max pixel clock information, but the max pixel clock must be a multiple of 10 and should be high enough to accommodate the detailed resolution's pixel clock, and the horizontal rate should match the detailed resolution's horizontal rate rounded to the nearest integer. Usually people just change the vertical rate and that's it.

Quite correct but it did flicker with mouse in both these apps. The monitor isn't the problem as I have no issues in Win10Pro. The issue is with the way the driver side in Windows 11 with the new added graphics portions which can be found here:>

Settings>System>Display>Graphics>Default graphics settings
1 Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling
2 Variable refresh rate
3 Optimizations for windowed games

My instinct says number 2 VRR

So I will turn off number 2 and set back the V rate to 48 and see what happens.

In Windows 10 Pro Home Enterprise --the other flavors numbers 2 and 3 are not incorporated.

At current as suggested for the flickering in-game, that has subsided with adjusting the value from 48. I've used 90hz as suggested by the Reddit post and also 72hz.

With the latest Nvidia Geforce RTX driver 526.47, there is a new addition.
Under 'Manage 3D settings':>
at the very bottom there is:>
1 Vulkan/OpenGL present method
A Auto
B Prefer Native
C Prefer layered on DXGI Swapchain < this has to do with DirectX in Windows 11 22H2 as far as I am to understand this. Not fully versed at the moment.

As far as I understand with the way Windows 11 handles the gaming, is the flip method.

In Nvidia Control Center I have Vertical Sync set to Fast, Triple Buffering On which increased FPS in game and no tearing at faster rates. But this RTX 3050 isn't cut out to run at 250FPS like the 3080.

Also the mouse driver has something to with it as well.

Logitec GHUB mouse refreshing, with the lights. Turn off the light show and probably have less overhead.
11-07-2022, 08:01 PM
(11-06-2022 05:54 PM)mbsbobo Wrote:  Quite correct but it did flicker with mouse in both these apps. The monitor isn't the problem as I have no issues in Win10Pro. The issue is with the way the driver side in Windows 11 with the new added graphics portions which can be found here
The monitor is absolutely the problem. It can't handle large changes in refresh rate without flickering. Disabling VRR or increasing the low end of the range defeats the purpose of having VRR in the first place.
11-07-2022, 08:01 PM
(11-05-2022 04:13 PM)terry98 Wrote:  Hi ToastyX maybe you can look into this, I managed to fix it and return RTSS to the normal behavior by creating the resolution using DisplayID block with the blanking increased in the front porch and setting the block after the CTA-861 block (I had it before the CTA block) also I had to force synctotal =2500 in RTSS global template, if I don't use the increased front porch and the displayid after the CTA-861 it would simply not work. I'm using a Sapphire nitro+ RX 6800.
DisplayID normally comes after the CTA-861 extension block, but the order shouldn't matter unless you have duplicate resolutions defined. Make sure you delete the resolution you're trying to override.
11-07-2022, 08:02 PM
(11-05-2022 03:13 PM)Poseidon Wrote:  I have an MSI RTX 2070 Super updated to the latest drivers. I tried using different drivers but no luck with CRU.
It's always NVIDIA with this sort of problem. Use DDU before upgrading the driver: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driv...aller-DDU-

If DDU doesn't help, then report the problem to NVIDIA.
11-08-2022, 12:23 PM
(11-07-2022 08:01 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-05-2022 04:13 PM)terry98 Wrote:  Hi ToastyX maybe you can look into this, I managed to fix it and return RTSS to the normal behavior by creating the resolution using DisplayID block with the blanking increased in the front porch and setting the block after the CTA-861 block (I had it before the CTA block) also I had to force synctotal =2500 in RTSS global template, if I don't use the increased front porch and the displayid after the CTA-861 it would simply not work. I'm using a Sapphire nitro+ RX 6800.
DisplayID normally comes after the CTA-861 extension block, but the order shouldn't matter unless you have duplicate resolutions defined. Make sure you delete the resolution you're trying to override.

Thanks! my bad for putting it before the cta block, but I'm sure I was not duplicating resolutions.
11-09-2022, 01:33 AM
what exactly does this application do, it was used but when i restarted my pc it gave an image again (i did it on a laptop monitor). I connect it to a monitor, it still does not give an image)
11-09-2022, 03:01 AM
(11-09-2022 01:33 AM)Mrangelito2000 Wrote:  what exactly does this application do, it was used but when i restarted my pc it gave an image again (i did it on a laptop monitor). I connect it to a monitor, it still does not give an image)
It does what it says in the first post. The question is what exactly did you do or what are you trying to do? Your post is too vague.
11-09-2022, 09:37 PM
Hello. Is it safe to change timing to CVT and the rest of presets?