Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
05-06-2023, 09:09 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(05-06-2023 06:56 PM)Travis5151 Wrote:  Hello,

I am having a difficult time figuring out how to use this to resolve flickering/stroking with freesyns (nvidia gsync enabled) and my Sansung 800b tv (connect hdmi 2.1 through Yamaha a2a receiver) and was hoping I could get some help.

In windows I have 4k 120 selected and it works great without gync enabled. Once I enable it in some games I get the brightness flicker. I have loaded cru and added the below as picture
Am I doing it right? How do I apply it? I did reset 64 but in game I don't see a difference and I am unsure how to verify it. I added the resolutions in the cta 861 block as the detailed resolution area won't let me chooseb120 hz. It goes red.
You would need to edit the VRR range in the HDMI 2.x data block in the existing CTA-861 extension block, not create a new extension block. NVIDIA does not use the FreeSync data block.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2023, 09:09 PM
(05-06-2023 01:32 PM)sulivandhi Wrote:  Hello dear ToastyX,
The current max Hres and Vres are both 4095. I checked the src files and found them defined in "DetailedResolutionClass.cpp". I don't know how to compile your source codes. Would you please consider supporting higher resolution values in the next release? For example, max 10240 x 10240 would be great!!!
You need to read the first post. This is an EDID limitation, not CRU. You can add higher resolutions with DisplayID extension blocks.
05-06-2023, 10:22 PM
(05-02-2023 09:21 AM)DragonQ Wrote:  Hi, a few questions about this issue:
- Is it only RDNA3 cards that are affected?
- I use CRU to change my monitor's FreeSync range. Would this be ignored with the latest drivers?
- What's the most recent driver that works fine with CRU?
The issue is limited to 7000-series GPUs only.
05-07-2023, 03:45 AM
(05-06-2023 09:09 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-06-2023 06:56 PM)Travis5151 Wrote:  Hello,

I am having a difficult time figuring out how to use this to resolve flickering/stroking with freesyns (nvidia gsync enabled) and my Sansung 800b tv (connect hdmi 2.1 through Yamaha a2a receiver) and was hoping I could get some help.

In windows I have 4k 120 selected and it works great without gync enabled. Once I enable it in some games I get the brightness flicker. I have loaded cru and added the below as picture
Am I doing it right? How do I apply it? I did reset 64 but in game I don't see a difference and I am unsure how to verify it. I added the resolutions in the cta 861 block as the detailed resolution area won't let me chooseb120 hz. It goes red.
You would need to edit the VRR range in the HDMI 2.x data block in the existing CTA-861 extension block, not create a new extension block. NVIDIA does not use the FreeSync data block.

Thank you for the reply but the existing block only show 60 hz. How do I get ti to show the 120 I am using?

As an additional bit of information I narrowed it down to having hdr enabled. With it off the brightness flicker seems to go away. Also if I connect pc to tv then it goes away even with hdr enabled but the samsung does not output atmos to my receiver for some reason so I can't do this.
05-07-2023, 10:37 PM
I will add that is appears to be the connection through the receiver and HDR that is the culprit. If I connect PC to TV then the issue with the brightness flickering goes away. Also, if I turn off HDR then the issue goes away. Does this make sense? Any idea how to change the receiver setting with CRU to address the issue?

Thank you!
05-09-2023, 07:52 AM
I have the new Asus PG27AQDM and i will add 2560x1440 with 165Hz and 144Hz. In the Nvidia Panel i can select only 240Hz, 120Hz and 60Hz. When I start CRU some resolutions are missing and when I want to add something else I can't click OK. Anyone have any idea what I can do?
05-09-2023, 12:00 PM
(04-29-2023 05:21 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-27-2023 10:22 PM)Thumedan Wrote:  Hey, i am using streamlabs preview on second fake screen which is emulated by hdmi dummy. This is necessary for me to run some kind of scripts that i use. I dont need to see this preview but my ahk need this in that position.
My main monitor - real one is working On 2k@144hz and basicly this dummy can work up to 4k@60hz. Its not good at this 60hz since i feel freezes while playing On 60 or even 120hz. It goes back to smooth and nice when i set custom resolution in nVidia geforce to 2k@144hz for this dummy but after restart.exe or just reboot my computer is not responding at all. It can boot Windows but there is no login screen. Caps lock not reacting. Then i have to unplug dummy, restart pc, reset all, plug dummy then set my custom resolution again. And it works like it should. Untill some kind of restart/ reboot. Any clue how to solve it to not brother with this pain in the ass job with plugout, reset all plug in and set again every reboot?

"This is an NVIDIA driver bug and should be reported to them. The black screen is the driver crashing, not a resolution issue as you've figured out."
it's same problem in my case?Big Grin
Yes, CRU doesn't do anything except create a description of what the monitor supports, so if the driver crashes, that's a driver bug. Just make sure there's at least 2 bytes for data blocks in the CTA-861 extension block because that's another NVIDIA driver bug that can cause a crash. Also for HDMI 2.0, the pixel clock can't exceed 600 MHz.
Everything set as you said. Just noticed that if I leave pc for 15 minutes and it turns off my monitors I cant review it Big Grin I mean i have to unplug again, reset all, restart and set again .. Big Grin Send some info to nvidia but not even sure if that was good way to report since noone replied anything Big Grin
05-09-2023, 10:27 PM
Blanking value for 165 HZ without high idle memory clock
Hello,

I'm trying to adjust the blanking value for my 165hz monitor with the goal that my memory clock will finally clock down when just being on the desktop and so on.

I did find a value for 144hz which lets my gpu downclock the memory but I had no luck with 165hz yet.

For 144hz I adjusted the blanking time till the horizontal frequency matched the on in the manual of the monitor. (Pixel Clock was about 20mhz higher than in the manual).

For 165hz this did not work and I tried to increment the blanking time by 10 every try. Should I try to increase it with an increment of 1?

My Setup:
Monitor: LS27AG524NUXEN (connected via DP)
GPU: AMD RX 6950 XT

Really thankful for every help or reply!
Khanh
05-11-2023, 05:26 PM
Unique Problem (?)

Windows is not showing 4K 120Hz as an available option.

System:
42" LG C2 OLED (OLED42C2PUA)
Dell Precision 3571 - Intel Iris Xe Integrated, NVIDIA T600 Discrete
USB-C from 3571 to Dell WD19TBS dock
HDMI from dock to LG C2

Contributing Issues
*Work administered computer, so some Admin privileges are not available.
*CRU cannot read the data from Intel Iris Xe

What I think I need:
Does someone have known-good CRU settings file (bin?) that would work in this situation?
I have been trying to create one from scratch (since Intel can't be read) but it isn't seeming to work.

I've attached the export/bin from CRU for my attempt at making this work. In general:
I've removed all "Established Resolutions"
Removed all "Detailed Resolutions" except 3840x2160@60
Removed all "Standard Resolutions"
Added two extension blocks:
CTA-861: 5 Data Blocks (HDMI Support, HDMI 2.1 Support, HDR Static Metadata, TV Resolutions, and Audio formats.)
and
DisplayID 1.3: 1 data block (Detailed resolution, 3840x2160@120)

Attached File(s)
.bin  LG OLED42C2PUA Attempt 1.bin (Size: 384 bytes / Downloads: 83)
05-12-2023, 03:21 PM
(05-11-2023 05:26 PM)skola28 Wrote:  What I think I need:
Does someone have known-good CRU settings file (bin?) that would work in this situation?
I have been trying to create one from scratch (since Intel can't be read) but it isn't seeming to work.

So, I've done a bunch more investigating/troubleshooting. I used an HDFury DR.HDMI and was able to pull the native EDID from the LG C2. This at least gave me a good starting point to pull from.

I then made all the modifications mentioned in this post and exported them to a file. But Windows still refuses to show me 120Hz 3840x2160.

.bin  LG OLED42C2PUA Mod from Reddit.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 86)

I then tried removing the Dell WD19 dock from the equation. Interestingly, this gives me options from the Intel Command Center that I didn't have before like Color (RGB/YCrBr/422/444 etc). I believe this may be due to being HDMI instead of DP over HDMI? Honestly, I don't know.

I tried using CRU to upload the modified EDID to this new input, restarting the adapter and the computer, but still no 120hz showing in Windows.

I then tried both dock and non-dock with an additional DisplayID 1.3 and a detailed resolution of 3840x2160@120 with Automatic PC. Also, neither worked.
.bin  LG OLED42C2PUA Mod from Reddit + DisplayID 1.3.bin (Size: 384 bytes / Downloads: 90)