Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-04-2018, 09:40 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(06-02-2018 10:31 PM)spidey Wrote:  Hi ToastyX, great program but have a problem with it. The story begins with my current machine - Windows 7 64bit, AMD R7 360 with 18.4.1 driver. And monitor CRT, Dell P1130, which supports refresh rates like 1280x1024@120Hz which is my goal
Apparently there are no other choices but only 60Hz. So I tried the utility - installed the pixel patch, set the custom resolution then restarted the driver with 64bit option, then restarted Windows. After some testing in desktop mode at 120Hz decided to play some games - CS: Source, Crysis, Dota 2, Borderlands and while starting them or playing them the machine suddenly returns to desktop trying to switch the resolution and frequency (I'm sure all of them are set on 1280x1024 in options) and failing just retries again. After that I just reset the things with the CRU and return to 60Hz, removed the pin 12 from the VGA side (connection to monitor is DVI-to-VGA cable, which was picked from similar machine with nvidia card where everything worked at 120Hz) and did another try without success. Note that the monitor before pin removal was correctly installed as Dell P1130 (tested also with integrated drivers of Sony GDM-F520 and Dell P1110), after removal (no more EDID) it was also ok in Device Manager ...

So, toasty, do you have any ideas what's causing this? Thanks in advance
I don't recommend removing pin 12 because AMD's driver has a bug with VGA that causes it to get stuck in a loop trying to redetect the monitor if there's no EDID. I don't know if that's the problem you're seeing, but it's not supposed to happen if the pin is present and the monitor has an EDID.

You might be better off getting an HDMI-VGA converter to work around the problem, or use an NVIDIA card. I don't think AMD cares about fixing VGA bugs anymore. It might work with an older driver. I think 15.7 is the oldest driver that supports the R7 360: https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/d...4&rev=15.7

Make sure to use DDU first to uninstall the newer driver: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driv...aller-ddu-

The old Catalyst drivers also had an option to ignore the EDID and set the maximum resolution and refresh rate manually for VGA connections.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2018, 09:44 PM
(06-02-2018 10:02 PM)adnansajid33 Wrote:  I tried reset-all.exe and rebooted but still see the same thing... Also tried uninstalling and then reinstalling all the graphics drivers but to no avail.
Has it cleared up? It looks like the pixels are stuck that way for some reason. I haven't seen anything like that before. Is it like that in the BIOS screen? That would indicate a hardware issue. Did the problem happen immediately after trying 90 Hz, or was 90 Hz working and the problem appeared later?
06-05-2018, 02:25 PM
(06-04-2018 09:44 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-02-2018 10:02 PM)adnansajid33 Wrote:  I tried reset-all.exe and rebooted but still see the same thing... Also tried uninstalling and then reinstalling all the graphics drivers but to no avail.
Has it cleared up? It looks like the pixels are stuck that way for some reason. I haven't seen anything like that before. Is it like that in the BIOS screen? That would indicate a hardware issue. Did the problem happen immediately after trying 90 Hz, or was 90 Hz working and the problem appeared later?

It has not cleared up, 90Hz was working and the problem appeared later. I was able to play games for 2 hours and then is when the problem appeared. It is like that in the bios too.
06-05-2018, 05:31 PM (Last edited: 06-05-2018, 05:45 PM by spidey)
(06-04-2018 09:40 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I don't recommend removing pin 12 because AMD's driver has a bug with VGA that causes it to get stuck in a loop trying to redetect the monitor if there's no EDID. I don't know if that's the problem you're seeing, but it's not supposed to happen if the pin is present and the monitor has an EDID.

You might be better off getting an HDMI-VGA converter to work around the problem, or use an NVIDIA card. I don't think AMD cares about fixing VGA bugs anymore. It might work with an older driver. I think 15.7 is the oldest driver that supports the R7 360: https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/d...4&rev=15.7

Make sure to use DDU first to uninstall the newer driver: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driv...aller-ddu-

The old Catalyst drivers also had an option to ignore the EDID and set the maximum resolution and refresh rate manually for VGA connections.

Yep, I know the bug (some years worked as repair man, some Sony G models had corrupt EDID due to faulty cable or faulty chip; to be sure checked with another cable with higher quality and with all pins) and it is here without removing the pin

Anyway I managed to fix it at 119Hz, but still trying to loop but rarely (a couple of tests with games), and again checked EDIDs of monitors if the bytes 35-53 are ok by the standard

Edit: After the fiasco with versions after starting 18.x driver line I'm sure AMD was so hardly cornered that they just give it a go and added "Switch driver" option ... So professional
06-23-2018, 02:19 PM
how to uninstall ?
[/size]
06-23-2018, 07:25 PM (Last edited: 06-23-2018, 07:29 PM by pakos2835)
thx for software. if CRU dont work for you, try again and again. for me it done after second try ( radeon 7870, 18.6.1 latest driver, cru 1.3.99-p1)
- suddenly my main resolution dissapeared from resolution driver list in w10 - cru help Wink
06-24-2018, 04:27 AM (Last edited: 06-24-2018, 05:34 AM by ps24u)
Hey ToastyX, all,
I've been pulling my hairs for the past couple of days, almost a week now, trying to have the nVidia driver output RGB limited (16-235).
Yes it's the exact inverse problem 99% of the posts on the internet have, where everyone wanted RGB full range (0-255) when using HDMI outputs to their device.

I really could use some help at this point..

Here's the data:
- on Win7 SP1 32bit
- using nVdia driver 342.01 WHQL because it's the last supported by my GPU (Geforce 8 Series 8500GT).
- My main (and only) display is an old (2010) Sony HDTV 40W4500. It doesn't support RGB full range via any HDMI inputs.

The issue:
Although I'm connecting the 8500GT directly to 40W4500 via HDMI (with spdif passthough taken from my mobo to an input on the GPU), I'm always getting RGB full out of the nVidia driver, either from the generic Win7 MS one to the latest nVidia one for my card.
The result is black crush on the desktop and everything except videos (for which madVR does the trick, thank god, to output the correct range).
I tried at least 20 nvidia drivers, from the early 190.x, 250.x up to 342.01 with no difference whatsoever, they're always outputting RGB full.
It's completely nuts as the whole of mankind has been having the exact opposite problem for 8-9 years, and here I just wished it happened to me once xD

Here are my findings:
- nVidia driver 347.09 and newer have a simple (fucking) toggle to select either RGB full or RGB limited, my dream on earth atm. Sadly it doesn't support my GPU. Modding the inf went nowhere (it installed but doesn't recognized the GPU, driver won't start when associated with this GPU as reported in Win7 dev manager).
- On the exact same system, same card, same driver version (342.01 for XP), same HDMI cable, same TV, but using Windows XP, I *do* get RGB limited by default, no questions asked, without any tweaking whatsoever.
I'm absolutely baffled. It seems to me that the nvidia driver on Win7 just won't output RGB limited under any circumstance all. But then why all these posts on the web trying "to force RGB full"...?
- I know I can use YCbCr444 from the nVidia driver for the "Digital color format" to get proper levels but colors are a bit off compared to RGB limited on my device.
- I tried the "Nvidia RGB Full/limited range toggler" (adds SetDefaultFullRGBRangeOnHDMI to registry, of course setting it to "0" to try to force RGB limited, no go).
- I tried changing registry values in the nvidia registry entries trying to force the display to be detected as an HDTV, which IT ALREADY IS IN THE NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL, no go.
I absolutely don't get why the driver doesn't want to output RGB limited when it's clearly detecting an HDMI connection going to an HDTV.
- I started reading CTA-861-G_FINAL_revised_2017 trying to find what to change in the EDID to try to force RGB limited this way but it's sooooo complex it didn't help at all ^^;

Now, I have 2 more leads.
- The first one is possibly the nVidia driver not considering my HDTV really as such because the audio is passthrough and no "nvidia HD Audio driver" is installed on the system.. Before GPUs started to have onboard HDaudio, a couple models including mine had this spdiff plug on the GPU to use as passthrough.
If that's the case, because the driver truly doesn't consider it as an HDTV, it sends RGB full (even though, again, the control panel sees the monitor as an HDTV and the connector is indicated as HDMI - HDTV).
- The second: the EDID from my HDTV is old/incomplete and under Win7 the nVidia driver sees it as supporting only RGB full and so enforces that??
(which would be strange because the same driver version on XP uses RGB limited, then again the XP driver could be hardcoded to send RGB limited regardless of EDID?)

So, is there a way I can modify my HDTV's EDID to specify it (only) expects RGB limited?
Here is the dump of my oridinal EDID:

.bin  40W4500.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 396)

Sorry for the very long post but I needed to put everything down.
If someone can give a hand, by all means..

ps24u
06-24-2018, 05:44 AM (Last edited: 06-24-2018, 08:40 AM by ps24u)
HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I FOUND THE SOLUTION!
In CRU, I edited the Extension Block > Video Capability. I set "Selectable RGB Range" to OFF.
Restart.exe
Fixed.
I'm absolutely amazed. And confused. And shocked. Been trying so much stuff.
ToastyX, I love you. I really do hahahaHAhahHah.
06-27-2018, 12:11 PM (Last edited: 06-27-2018, 09:27 PM by aeneas1)
registered at monitortest.com just so i could personally thank @toastyx for this fantastic tool...

i use an htpc to stream only widescreen movie files to my 2:35 projector screen, and this handy tool allowed me to scale plex (and other media services) to fit the screen very nicely... my system is a windows 10/64 box with an i5 processor / intel hd graphics 6000 - you could set a custom resolution using intel's hd graphics panel, but it just wouldn't stick, it would revert back to the "recommended" rez after every boot.

[Image: image.jpg]

this image is kind of hard to read, but 1920 x 817 has become my new (recommended) resolution:

[Image: image.png]

btw, i didn't install any of the drivers listed on the first page, thought i'd first give it a go without, and everything seems to be working just fine! thanks again!
07-01-2018, 06:48 AM
Hello!

I have a DVI monitor (Samsung SyncMaster SA300) that I was able to push to 1920x1080@77 Hz using a single-link DVI when I had a desktop with a NVIDIA GPU. Since then, I got a laptop with an Intel GPU that has a HDMI 1.4 port. I bought a passive HDMI-DVI adapter to still be able to use the monitor and I could reach 71.017 Hz before the monitor turns black. It seems that anything beyond this value changes the polarity and other parameters and, even though the pixel clock still is below 165 MHz, not even a "Not Optimum Mode" message shows up.

Is the HDMI a limiting factor now, or is something else required for a setup like mine to work with an Intel GPU?