Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-07-2018, 07:47 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-24-2018 12:52 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-24-2018 01:56 AM)hutt132 Wrote:  I've been using CRU for years, but now CRU on Windows 10 with nVidia driver 416.34 no longer works.
The problem is the latest NVIDIA driver (416.34) made the patcher ineffective. I don't have a solution yet.

any idea when or if you will be able to have a solution?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2018, 01:41 AM
I have a Gl62m 7rd-1407 laptop gaming. I'd like to know if i can overclocking my monitor. I have fear Big Grin
11-11-2018, 08:38 PM (Last edited: 11-11-2018, 10:12 PM by cjber)
Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hello,

I have a cheap Philips 246E, which I am just tinkering for fun.

I can set individual resolutions of 1920x1080 at 35hz and 70hz (by changing some timing setting off the original native resolution) , without the screen going blank.

I assumed that I should be able to safely set a freesync range of 35-70, but the screen goes blank periodically (flashes) when doing so.

I am using a HMDI connection, and I set the max rate to 660 (without improving).

Could you please explain what is wrong in my assumption?

edit:
Some observations I found:
1. when I change the freesync range to 55-76, freesync appears to work (no screen flashing) at the native resolution 1920x1080@60hz
2. when I change to the custom 1920x1080@70hz resolution, the same freesync range causes the screen to flash once more
11-12-2018, 08:34 AM
Hi,
Hope someone can help me,
First of all much thanks for the developer/s of that tool,
I have the ASUS MG279Q which most of the users of it recommand to use CRU for modify the default freesync range from 35-90 to something that would go till 144 like 57-144..
My problem is pretty weird,At first I was sure it's coming from the GPU probably something wrong there till I discovered that all this crash are coming after I used CRU to modify my freesync range..
Question is why I have these issues when most of the owners of the MG279Q using CRU without single issue..
I mean,The tool works perfect.. I can open let's say AC Odessy and while benchmark when the FPS is around 50 I can see the freesync really working and the FPS changing in the monitor OSD..
But..Why after 20 minutes..Or even hour (It's in random time..) The PC crash?
I mean..Monitor crash like here - https://youtu.be/YLg8N9f_o9M?t=171 (Video I captured when I was sure it's coming from the GPU but its from the freesync change..)
It's like the monitor is freezing (I can still hear for example the music of the game but screen froze..) Let's say I shutdown the PC..The monitor would still show the frozen image like it's still getting signal even that the PC is shutdown ;/
Any idea?
The GPU is Vega 64,The connection is with Mini DP which was included with the ASUS MG279Q..
11-12-2018, 02:41 PM
(11-12-2018 08:34 AM)edoroom Wrote:  Hi,
I have the ASUS MG279Q which most of the users of it recommand to use CRU for modify the default freesync range from 35-90 to something that would go till 144 like 57-144..
My problem is pretty weird,At first I was sure it's coming from the GPU probably something wrong there till I discovered that all this crash are coming after I used CRU to modify my freesync range..
Question is why I have these issues when most of the owners of the MG279Q using CRU without single issue..
I mean,The tool works perfect.. I can open let's say AC Odessy and while benchmark when the FPS is around 50 I can see the freesync really working and the FPS changing in the monitor OSD..
I mean..Monitor crash like here - https://youtu.be/YLg8N9f_o9M?t=171 (Video I captured when I was sure it's coming from the GPU but its from the freesync change..)
It's like the monitor is freezing (I can still hear for example the music of the game but screen froze..) Let's say I shutdown the PC..The monitor would still show the frozen image like it's still getting signal even that the PC is shutdown ;/
Any idea?
The GPU is Vega 64,The connection is with Mini DP which was included with the ASUS MG279Q..
Crashes are always either hardware problems or driver bugs, but in this case, it looks like the monitor is crashing and not the PC, especially since it still retains an image after the PC shuts off. There's no guarantee a monitor will handle an extended FreeSync range, which is why it doesn't go to 144 Hz by default. Maybe try a narrower range or lower refresh rates. You only need 70-144 Hz for LFC to take over, or you can try something like 58-120 Hz.
11-12-2018, 02:42 PM
(11-11-2018 08:38 PM)cjber Wrote:  Hello,

I have a cheap Philips 246E, which I am just tinkering for fun.

I can set individual resolutions of 1920x1080 at 35hz and 70hz (by changing some timing setting off the original native resolution) , without the screen going blank.

I assumed that I should be able to safely set a freesync range of 35-70, but the screen goes blank periodically (flashes) when doing so.

I am using a HMDI connection, and I set the max rate to 660 (without improving).

Could you please explain what is wrong in my assumption?

edit:
Some observations I found:
1. when I change the freesync range to 55-76, freesync appears to work (no screen flashing) at the native resolution 1920x1080@60hz
2. when I change to the custom 1920x1080@70hz resolution, the same freesync range causes the screen to flash once more
The refresh rate you set is the maximum refresh rate FreeSync will use, so the range at 60 Hz is actually 55-60 Hz, but FreeSync won't activate if the range is less than 10 Hz, so it's not using FreeSync at all at 60 Hz. The refresh rates you can set without FreeSync have no bearing on what ranges it can handle with FreeSync.
11-12-2018, 02:47 PM
(11-07-2018 07:47 AM)trek554 Wrote:  any idea when or if you will be able to have a solution?
I tried getting a used GTX 770, but it turned out to be defective or incompatible, so I'm delayed until I can get a newer NVIDIA card that supports the latest drivers.
11-12-2018, 03:45 PM
(11-12-2018 02:41 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-12-2018 08:34 AM)edoroom Wrote:  Hi,
Any idea?
Crashes are always either hardware problems or driver bugs, but in this case, it looks like the monitor is crashing and not the PC, especially since it still retains an image after the PC shuts off. There's no guarantee a monitor will handle an extended FreeSync range, which is why it doesn't go to 144 Hz by default. Maybe try a narrower range or lower refresh rates. You only need 70-144 Hz for LFC to take over, or you can try something like 58-120 Hz.
Thanks for the response,
Well I know there is no guarantee at all that it would work after all if it would work perfect then asus would make update for that monitor to work in it's full range (For freesync)
It's just with all the posts in the internet of people who did that to their monitor without any issue..It's just make me thinks if there is something wrong I'm doing..As how no one complain about it and everyone saying it's 100% working fine with no issues,And for me it's doing that crash ;/ Anyways,Alright I will try with something like 58-120 as you said and will see how stable it is Wink
Thanks!
11-16-2018, 11:57 AM
Hello everybody,

I have a weird issue since I updated my Radeon driver from 18.8.x to 18.10.2. Ever since then, if I extend the Freesync range of my screen (Iiyama XUB2792QSU-B1, 2560x1440 res, official FS range 48-70 Hz), VSR (Virtual Super Resolution) stops working correctly.
Before the driver update, extended range (34-70 Hz) and VSR worked perfectly together.

Now, if I extend the range through CRU and play a game with downsamping, my screen is fed a 1920x1080 60 Hz signal (can see this in the screens OSD) resulting in a blurry image because it gets scaled twice, for example downsampling from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080 and then the 1080p signal scaled to 1440p by the screen. To remedy this, I have to use the "reset-all.exe" that comes with CRU and reboot, to get the standard range back. If I change the FS range back to standard manually with "CRU.exe" I still get this weird double scaling behavior.
So it seems extending the range with CRU under Radeon Software 18.10.2 somehow messes up how my computer sees my screen.
Using the extended range without VSR results in the expected behavior, my screen gets fed a 2560x1440 image (checked with OSD) and Freesync works with the extended range.

Rolling back to 18.8.2 resulted in a black screen after using CRU.exe and reset.exe, but after a hard reboot the extended range and VSR are working perfectly together again.

Any idea why this is happening?

My setup:
Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8 GB
Iiyama XUB2792QSU-B1 (2560x1440 resolution, 70 Hz, 48-70 Hz Freesync) connected via DisplayPort
Windows 10 Education 1803 64-bit
CRU 1.4.1
11-17-2018, 03:33 PM (Last edited: 11-17-2018, 03:34 PM by Garwinski)
Fury X 18.11.1
Windows 10 1809
LG 34UM68-p

I also have some strange behaviour when I increase my Freesync range in CRU. When I change my freesync range in CRU (from 40-75 to 30-75, always worked great for me in pre-1809, but even when I increase it to 39-75 I get the same behaviour), VSR becomes available to me, while I have a 21:9 screen and VSR isnt officially supported on this aspect ratio (yet), and with or without enabling VSR, I get massive frametime issues in all games. When I reset CRU, all works fine again.

I have a tool running at all times that grabs a duplication of the screen to parse the colors of the screen through to my ambilight-like lights (Lightpack, works with the software 'Prismatik'). When I choose the 'Desktop Duplication API' in this program 'Pristmatik', I get the massive stutter in games when I increase the Freesync range with CRU. When I choose a 'fallback' option called WinAPI (with has a way worse performance penalty than the Desktop Duplication API), or disable 'Prismatik' altogether, I can happily play with smooth gameplay AND increased freesync range. VSR is then still enabled for me (and works), while this still shouldn't be the case officially.

So there definitely is something going on with either how Windows 10 handles the desktop (and in extent to that its desktop duplication), or with the AMD drivers in regards to how they handle the monitor and (up-)scaling, as small changes with CRU have a lot of secondary effects now.

Did something that is relevant to CRU (drastically) change in 1809?