Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
04-04-2019, 10:49 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(04-04-2019 05:57 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-03-2019 12:50 PM)beenlagged Wrote:  Is there a possibility that I could achieve higher refresh rate overclock using a dual link DVI-D?
No, the monitor doesn't use dual-link DVI.

(04-03-2019 12:50 PM)beenlagged Wrote:  Also, is there a rule or something when overclocking the monitor's refresh rate? Like should the refresh rate be divisible by 30 or 24 or 4?
No, refresh rates are arbitrary.

I see, thanks for replying!

How did you know that the monitor doesn't use dual-link DVI? I've searched the spec sheet of the monitor and it's panel but I couldn't get such info. Knowing how would be a great help in the future.

Also, besides choosing between the LCD options (standard, native, reduced) what option or value should I tweak to get better timings or higher refresh rate?
Front porch? Back porch? Blanking? Sync width?

Thanks again!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2019, 11:39 PM
(04-04-2019 10:49 PM)beenlagged Wrote:  How did you know that the monitor doesn't use dual-link DVI? I've searched the spec sheet of the monitor and it's panel but I couldn't get such info. Knowing how would be a great help in the future.
There's no reason for a 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz monitor to support dual-link DVI because that would require including a second TMDS transmitter, which wouldn't be used at that resolution.

(04-04-2019 10:49 PM)beenlagged Wrote:  Also, besides choosing between the LCD options (standard, native, reduced) what option or value should I tweak to get better timings or higher refresh rate?
The timing parameters don't really matter as long as it works. When trying refresh rates that the monitor doesn't officially support, there's no way to know what timing parameters will work without trial and error because it's usually a monitor firmware limitation, not a limitation of the panel itself. Usually it's a refresh rate limit in the monitor or a pixel clock limit that gets in the way, not anything specific to the timing parameters. Most monitors don't allow more than 77 Hz, so be glad that you can get 87 Hz.
04-05-2019, 12:16 AM (Last edited: 04-05-2019, 12:23 AM by beenlagged)
(04-04-2019 11:39 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-04-2019 10:49 PM)beenlagged Wrote:  How did you know that the monitor doesn't use dual-link DVI? I've searched the spec sheet of the monitor and it's panel but I couldn't get such info. Knowing how would be a great help in the future.
There's no reason for a 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz monitor to support dual-link DVI because that would require including a second TMDS transmitter, which wouldn't be used at that resolution.

(04-04-2019 10:49 PM)beenlagged Wrote:  Also, besides choosing between the LCD options (standard, native, reduced) what option or value should I tweak to get better timings or higher refresh rate?
The timing parameters don't really matter as long as it works. When trying refresh rates that the monitor doesn't officially support, there's no way to know what timing parameters will work without trial and error because it's usually a monitor firmware limitation, not a limitation of the panel itself. Usually it's a refresh rate limit in the monitor or a pixel clock limit that gets in the way, not anything specific to the timing parameters. Most monitors don't allow more than 77 Hz, so be glad that you can get 87 Hz.

Gotcha, thank you very much ToastyX!

One last thing. As you said that most monitors don't allow more than 77 Hz, does running it at a high overclock of 87 Hz from 60 Hz dangerous at the long run?
04-05-2019, 04:05 AM
(04-05-2019 12:16 AM)beenlagged Wrote:  One last thing. As you said that most monitors don't allow more than 77 Hz, does running it at a high overclock of 87 Hz from 60 Hz dangerous at the long run?
There's no way to know for sure how it would affect the lifespan of the monitor, but I haven't seen any significant issues with running higher refresh rates for long periods of time. For example, many people have been running the Catleap/QNIX monitors at 96+ Hz for several years without issues. I've had mine for 7 years.
04-05-2019, 09:22 AM
Hi Toasty,

Big fan! I have been using CRU for a long time and have overclocked my monitor from 60hz to 77hz successfully. Now i have some questions that need your help. My current res is 1920x1080 at 77hz (Pixel Clock: 179.22 Mhz), after 77.00 hz if i go further to 78hz my monitor which is a Samsung sa350 shows the not optimal mode pop up and it doesn't go away. so i add a new stretch res in CRU 1444x1080 at 80hz and the pixel clocks reaches only 155.16hz and then i restart my pc and go to monitor settings, and the 80hz doesn't show up in that only 77hz and 60hz exist. Why is that? so i figure that only the refresh rate's with the native res will register in display adapter properties and no other res will work in cru. So i was wondering is there any way to bypass that?

And 2nd question- Should i keep my timing parameters as high as possible or as low as possible, since increasing the timing parameters increases the pixel clock value and its obvious that our monitors can read data from cable at a limited value. so increasing the value would result in it not being able to read it and cause lag or something.I mainly play games like fortnite, pubg so should i keep at default value or lower for max refresh rate and stable gameplay?

3rd question - the range limits, i set Vrate: 72-77hz Hrate: 31-81 and Max Pixel Clock to 240Mhz and i figured out these values do have an affect on the game like when i put my Max Pixel clock to 300Mhz or higher the game stutters a lot or even when i put Vrate:76-77hz it still stutters af. Now i do something extra while playing i put the process priority to realtime through task manager and the game feels really smooth like i get constant 77hz but sometimes it crashes. but when i play the same game at normal priority the game feels like its running on 30hz so how do i fix this ??
04-05-2019, 01:09 PM
(04-05-2019 09:22 AM)Azex Wrote:  Big fan! I have been using CRU for a long time and have overclocked my monitor from 60hz to 77hz successfully. Now i have some questions that need your help. My current res is 1920x1080 at 77hz (Pixel Clock: 179.22 Mhz), after 77.00 hz if i go further to 78hz my monitor which is a Samsung sa350 shows the not optimal mode pop up and it doesn't go away. so i add a new stretch res in CRU 1444x1080 at 80hz and the pixel clocks reaches only 155.16hz and then i restart my pc and go to monitor settings, and the 80hz doesn't show up in that only 77hz and 60hz exist. Why is that? so i figure that only the refresh rate's with the native res will register in display adapter properties and no other res will work in cru. So i was wondering is there any way to bypass that?
The monitor settings only show the refresh rate for the current resolution. You have to switch to 1444x1080 first, or use the "List All Modes" button. If you still don't see the refresh rate, then you have GPU scaling enabled. GPU scaling scales everything to the native resolution, so only refresh rates at the native resolution will be available. Also, Samsung monitors usually don't allow more than 77 Hz regardless of the resolution, so you will get the "Not Optimum Mode" message at 80 Hz.

(04-05-2019 09:22 AM)Azex Wrote:  And 2nd question- Should i keep my timing parameters as high as possible or as low as possible, since increasing the timing parameters increases the pixel clock value and its obvious that our monitors can read data from cable at a limited value. so increasing the value would result in it not being able to read it and cause lag or something.I mainly play games like fortnite, pubg so should i keep at default value or lower for max refresh rate and stable gameplay?
It doesn't matter much if you're not hitting pixel clock limits. Higher blanking/totals just waste bandwidth. Lower vertical blanking/totals can cause the video card to not clock down when idle.

(04-05-2019 09:22 AM)Azex Wrote:  3rd question - the range limits, i set Vrate: 72-77hz Hrate: 31-81 and Max Pixel Clock to 240Mhz and i figured out these values do have an affect on the game like when i put my Max Pixel clock to 300Mhz or higher the game stutters a lot or even when i put Vrate:76-77hz it still stutters af. Now i do something extra while playing i put the process priority to realtime through task manager and the game feels really smooth like i get constant 77hz but sometimes it crashes. but when i play the same game at normal priority the game feels like its running on 30hz so how do i fix this ??
The range limits would not affect performance like that. CRU does not even include the range limits by default unless you have a DisplayPort FreeSync monitor, in which case the vertical rate would control the FreeSync range.
04-05-2019, 02:32 PM
Hi Toasty,

I’ve been experiencing a strange audio issue that only occurs when I modify the Freesync range on my monitor.

I have a MG279Q that I change from 35-90 to 57-144. When changed, every time I start up the PC I get no detectable audio over display port.
No trouble shooting or anything fixes it until I either restart the AMD display driver using the windows 10 shortcut or turn the monitor off and back on.
If I reset the settings with CRU back to default that also works but then I’m stuck with the crap freesync range.

Do you know if there’s anything I’m not doing in CRU that might be causing it?

I’ve tried fresh installs of everything to try and fix it but to no avail.
It started around the time of 1809 rollout and around the version 18.12.1 AMD driver. However I don’t think there’s been a display audio driver update from AMD since September last year.

Any ideas would be much appreciated and I’m hoping it’s not a hardware issue. For reference my GPU is a Vega 64.

Great work and I admire your continued support!
04-06-2019, 03:23 AM
(04-05-2019 01:09 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-05-2019 09:22 AM)Azex Wrote:  Big fan! I have been using CRU for a long time and have overclocked my monitor from 60hz to 77hz successfully. Now i have some questions that need your help. My current res is 1920x1080 at 77hz (Pixel Clock: 179.22 Mhz), after 77.00 hz if i go further to 78hz my monitor which is a Samsung sa350 shows the not optimal mode pop up and it doesn't go away. so i add a new stretch res in CRU 1444x1080 at 80hz and the pixel clocks reaches only 155.16hz and then i restart my pc and go to monitor settings, and the 80hz doesn't show up in that only 77hz and 60hz exist. Why is that? so i figure that only the refresh rate's with the native res will register in display adapter properties and no other res will work in cru. So i was wondering is there any way to bypass that?
The monitor settings only show the refresh rate for the current resolution. You have to switch to 1444x1080 first, or use the "List All Modes" button. If you still don't see the refresh rate, then you have GPU scaling enabled. GPU scaling scales everything to the native resolution, so only refresh rates at the native resolution will be available. Also, Samsung monitors usually don't allow more than 77 Hz regardless of the resolution, so you will get the "Not Optimum Mode" message at 80 Hz.

(04-05-2019 09:22 AM)Azex Wrote:  And 2nd question- Should i keep my timing parameters as high as possible or as low as possible, since increasing the timing parameters increases the pixel clock value and its obvious that our monitors can read data from cable at a limited value. so increasing the value would result in it not being able to read it and cause lag or something.I mainly play games like fortnite, pubg so should i keep at default value or lower for max refresh rate and stable gameplay?
It doesn't matter much if you're not hitting pixel clock limits. Higher blanking/totals just waste bandwidth. Lower vertical blanking/totals can cause the video card to not clock down when idle.

(04-05-2019 09:22 AM)Azex Wrote:  3rd question - the range limits, i set Vrate: 72-77hz Hrate: 31-81 and Max Pixel Clock to 240Mhz and i figured out these values do have an affect on the game like when i put my Max Pixel clock to 300Mhz or higher the game stutters a lot or even when i put Vrate:76-77hz it still stutters af. Now i do something extra while playing i put the process priority to realtime through task manager and the game feels really smooth like i get constant 77hz but sometimes it crashes. but when i play the same game at normal priority the game feels like its running on 30hz so how do i fix this ??
The range limits would not affect performance like that. CRU does not even include the range limits by default unless you have a DisplayPort FreeSync monitor, in which case the vertical rate would control the FreeSync range.

I disabled gpu scaling and you were right samsung cant go beyond 77hz, is that a firmware limitation or hardware limitation? if it is firmware, can you code it to increase the refresh rate limits?
04-06-2019, 08:07 PM
(04-06-2019 03:23 AM)Azex Wrote:  I disabled gpu scaling and you were right samsung cant go beyond 77hz, is that a firmware limitation or hardware limitation? if it is firmware, can you code it to increase the refresh rate limits?
Firmware, but I have no way to edit the firmware.
04-06-2019, 08:07 PM
(04-05-2019 02:32 PM)Wrighton Wrote:  I’ve been experiencing a strange audio issue that only occurs when I modify the Freesync range on my monitor.

I have a MG279Q that I change from 35-90 to 57-144. When changed, every time I start up the PC I get no detectable audio over display port.
No trouble shooting or anything fixes it until I either restart the AMD display driver using the windows 10 shortcut or turn the monitor off and back on.
If I reset the settings with CRU back to default that also works but then I’m stuck with the crap freesync range.

Do you know if there’s anything I’m not doing in CRU that might be causing it?
I'm not sure. It might be related to the reduced horizontal blanking at 120/144 Hz. What happens if you change 144 Hz to use "LCD native" timing?