Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-10-2019, 12:21 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(06-06-2019 04:50 AM)Deceptive Pastry Wrote:  Rebooting essentially sets everything back to TV defaults - no EDID overrides. If I start up a game it upscales to 4k 30hz, I get HDMI audio back, etc. Same if I unplug-replug the HDMI cable or turn the TV off then back on. After any of those actions, I need to hit the restart exe to have my CRU settings applied and set the primary detailed resolution to 1080, which is then when HDMI audio disappears. No need to go back into CRU, I just have to hit restart64.exe. Is this abnormal?
Yeah, that's not normal. I don't know what you can do since that seems like a driver bug. What laptop model is it, or what model Intel CPU does it have?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2019, 03:10 AM (Last edited: 06-12-2019, 03:12 AM by Deceptive Pastry)
(06-10-2019 12:21 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Yeah, that's not normal. I don't know what you can do since that seems like a driver bug. What laptop model is it, or what model Intel CPU does it have?

Aspire VN7-571G. Intel i5-5200U CPU. I'm wondering if updating the Intel GPU driver from the Intel site several months ago instead of sticking with the factory driver is a problem. I'm going to re-install the original driver from Acer's website in the meantime.

Any ideas at least why CRU settings aren't persisting every time my laptop loses signal to the TV? If I could figure out why I have to use the restart exe every time that may solve the issue, because I have found I can cycle the Intel® Audio driver and get it to show back up again. But it disappears the next time I use restart.
06-12-2019, 12:56 PM
I recently got a Pioneer receiver VSX-LX503 and LG 65C9 OLED TV. When I connect the TV through the receiver Win 10 GTX 1050 Ti is reporting it as a DVI connection at 1080 res. If I connect the TV directly to the PC it reports HDMI 3840 res.

Would this CRU utility help in this situation?
06-12-2019, 05:01 PM
(06-12-2019 12:56 PM)gquiring Wrote:  I recently got a Pioneer receiver VSX-LX503 and LG 65C9 OLED TV. When I connect the TV through the receiver Win 10 GTX 1050 Ti is reporting it as a DVI connection at 1080 res. If I connect the TV directly to the PC it reports HDMI 3840 res.

Would this CRU utility help in this situation?
It might, but that shouldn't be happening because that means the HDMI data block is missing. You can use CRU to manually add an HDMI data block (and HDMI 2.0 for 4K), which might work around the problem, but the real problem is the receiver is providing the wrong information for some reason.
06-12-2019, 05:01 PM
(06-12-2019 03:10 AM)Deceptive Pastry Wrote:  Any ideas at least why CRU settings aren't persisting every time my laptop loses signal to the TV? If I could figure out why I have to use the restart exe every time that may solve the issue, because I have found I can cycle the Intel® Audio driver and get it to show back up again. But it disappears the next time I use restart.
The driver is not handling EDID overrides correctly. Export a file from CRU and post it here. I will see if I can create an alternative method that works with Intel.
06-12-2019, 08:07 PM
ToastyX,

Thank you very much for the CRU application you have provided. I'm so happy it's available to use for the monitor I have.

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I am curious if you could confirm if this is either a quirk in the Nvidia drivers or the CRU application itself or maybe the monitor itself.

I'm using an LG 27GK750F-B monitor that has an advertised refresh rate of 240hz. GPU is a Nvidia RTX2080ti. However there is a bug in the LG firmware that causes the monitor to stutter with its stock timings set to 239.759Hz. Once it's adjusted to 239.760Hz using CRU, the problem disappears. Here's the settings I'm using in CRU:

[Image: WIeCkuX.png]

[Image: McPXqUx.png]

[Image: dc4dUsF.png]

For whatever reason, sometimes the CRU settings are not enabled when the Nvidia driver is restarted after using the "restart.exe" application CRU provides. It sometimes takes going into "Recovery Mode" for it to take effect, or multiple restarts to finally get the CRU settings applied to the driver.

I can test if the driver is working correctly with the CRU settings if I run a benchmark program like Unigine Heaven. When Heaven benchmark test is ran, if the framerate is capped at 120FPS then the settings in CRU are not working. I see black line artifacts at the bottom of the screen as show in this video I uploaded below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNmefTkyVdg

Once I go through the process of doing the "restart.exe" a couple times and go into "Recovery Mode", then running that same benchmark should have my framerate uncapped and it'll go higher than 120FPS.

Another way to test this is to use a game that has a poorly optimized game engine, I've chosen PUBG. After you click "Play" in Steam under PUBG, if the resolution switches to a much lower setting upon start up then reverts to 1080p in the Menu...once again the settings in CRU are not working. You can tell the lower resolution because the Steam notification and PUBG logo will appear in the top left hand corner in stretched magnified way. Almost looks like it dips down to 256x224 resolution before going back to 1920x1080. Again following the steps above to restart the driver and then when launching the game it will no longer start at a low resolution but stay in 1080p.

Also you will know CRU is not working because it will introduce these kind of black line artifacts in PUBG:

PUBG artifacting RTX2080ti #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NLg_wd1mWM

PUBG artifacting RTX2080ti #2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usw2L6OuFH8

And you will also experience stuttering in game.

There's also weird behavior sometimes when my monitor continually turns off and on after restarting the driver. I have to go in the monitor's on screen display, power off the monitor, leave it off for a minute or two, turn it back on, then restart the drivers again.

So I don't think there is anything wrong with CRU, but I wonder if it has something to do with my monitor and Nvidia driver?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm glad I was able to have a workaround for this issue. I was worried I had to RMA either the card or the monitor.
06-12-2019, 09:38 PM
(06-12-2019 08:07 PM)witega Wrote:  I'm using an LG 27GK750F-B monitor that has an advertised refresh rate of 240hz. GPU is a Nvidia RTX2080ti. However there is a bug in the LG firmware that causes the monitor to stutter with its stock timings set to 239.759Hz. Once it's adjusted to 239.760Hz using CRU, the problem disappears.
239.759 vs. 239.760 Hz is not enough to make a meaningful difference. What else was changed?

(06-12-2019 08:07 PM)witega Wrote:  For whatever reason, sometimes the CRU settings are not enabled when the Nvidia driver is restarted after using the "restart.exe" application CRU provides. It sometimes takes going into "Recovery Mode" for it to take effect, or multiple restarts to finally get the CRU settings applied to the driver.
That doesn't make sense. "Recovery Mode" disables the EDID override, so the settings should not take effect that way. It just applies the default settings until the next restart.

What happened to the first detailed resolution? You shouldn't leave that blank. The first detailed resolution is supposed to be the preferred/native resolution, but there's nothing defined. That might be why the settings aren't taking effect.

What was in the extension block originally? It doesn't make sense to have an extension block with only one resolution by itself when it can be the first detailed resolution.
06-12-2019, 10:27 PM
(06-12-2019 05:01 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  The driver is not handling EDID overrides correctly. Export a file from CRU and post it here. I will see if I can create an alternative method that works with Intel.

I believe the problem is solved.

I had previously been using the most recent Intel GPU drivers (at the time, ~6 months old atm). I reverted back to the manufacturer default drivers, which would not allow ANY CRU overrides to be applied. I browsed through the original post looking to see if I was missing something - I was. Downloaded the [15.40] Intel GPU drivers and manually installed them to override the "Driver being installed is not validated for this computer" error. Now it appears everything is working properly. I retain HDMI audio and the settings persist after losing signal to the TV. Restarted the computer, went to display settings, it properly continues to show 1080 as my (Recommended) resolution and games are properly output to 1080 without having to use restart64.exe.

So yes, I thought as long as I had the most recent drivers it would be fine. But it seems necessary to use those specific [15.40] drivers if you have an Intel GPU. Appreciate your help and your work on this awesome program, otherwise this TV would be a huge PITA.
06-12-2019, 10:31 PM
I deleted all of the resolutions and just kept the extension block. So should I just reset CRU back to default to get the first detailed resolution back?

There were I think 4 other extension blocks when I initially had CRU installed.

As to the Hz change, for whatever reason the regular refresh rate of 239.759 exhibited a picture with heavy stuttering. This was confirmed by other owners of the monitor and LG is currently investigating the issue. As soon as you bring the Hz to 239.760, there's no more stuttering. I had to manual adjust the vertical lines to get to 1304 which would give me that Hz refresh rate of 239.760.

So it sounds like I shouldn't have deleted all of those resolution profiles that originally came when I started CRU. Would you suggest I reset it back to default somehow?

Thanks for your reply.
06-12-2019, 10:53 PM
(06-12-2019 10:31 PM)witega Wrote:  So it sounds like I shouldn't have deleted all of those resolution profiles that originally came when I started CRU. Would you suggest I reset it back to default somehow?
You don't need to, but you should have something as the first detailed resolution. You can move 239.760 Hz there. It's more likely adjusting the vertical total removed the stuttering, not the very slight difference in refresh rate.