Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-05-2019, 05:48 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-05-2019 04:13 PM)Tchernobog Wrote:  The problem is, since it is now recognized as a DVI connection, full range RGB is enabled. My tv doesn't really like fullrange and the colors get all messed up and oversaturated.

Is there anything I can do to make this work? Make it appear as DVI and keep limited range? Or maybe some combination that can stop it restarting when going fullscreen?
Unfortunately, the graphics driver won't offer a limited range option with DVI, and using custom color settings won't affect full screen games.

Two things you can try:

1. Try adding a CEA-861 extension block with only HDMI support in it. The actual resolution shouldn't ever change if you only have one detailed resolution for the native resolution and no other resolutions. If this still triggers the problem, then the TV is doing something weird with HDMI.

2. Edit the detailed resolution and try "LCD reduced" timing. The TV might treat that differently and display the correct colors.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2019, 05:50 PM
(10-05-2019 07:41 AM)RV59 Wrote:  In the hdr metadata block, what does it mean to be "traditional gamma -sdr" (checked for me)
and "traditional gamma -hdr" (unchecked) ?
It just describes whether the monitor supports traditional gamma with SDR and HDR luminance ranges.

(10-05-2019 07:41 AM)RV59 Wrote:  Also is it possible to create a dynamic metadata profil with CRU?
Not currently. The HDR dynamic metadata block is a bit complicated to implement and not really useful to edit.
10-06-2019, 08:24 AM
Thanks for theses informations.
10-06-2019, 11:48 AM
(10-05-2019 05:48 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Unfortunately, the graphics driver won't offer a limited range option with DVI, and using custom color settings won't affect full screen games.

Two things you can try:

1. Try adding a CEA-861 extension block with only HDMI support in it. The actual resolution shouldn't ever change if you only have one detailed resolution for the native resolution and no other resolutions. If this still triggers the problem, then the TV is doing something weird with HDMI.

2. Edit the detailed resolution and try "LCD reduced" timing. The TV might treat that differently and display the correct colors.

Hi ToastyX, thanks for your help. Unfortunately this doesn't work either.
Here's what happens when I launch RE2: https://streamable.com/z03m0

Like you said, there must be something wrong with the tv.
I guess I'll just have to invest in a monitor.
10-07-2019, 08:59 AM (Last edited: 10-07-2019, 09:00 AM by DigDeep)
PLEASE READ THIS:

Since AMD driver version 17.11.3 Freesync Enabled through CRU doesnt work, screen goes black, I suspect AMD added some reader of CRU source code and when it finds it, it criples it. So could anyone try to lower CRU signature so that AMD drivers do not find traces of CRU Utility, that way I think black screen would not appear anymore, it works fine with v17.11.0 but not with later versions of drivers.
10-07-2019, 12:53 PM
(10-07-2019 08:59 AM)DigDeep Wrote:  Since AMD driver version 17.11.3 Freesync Enabled through CRU doesnt work, screen goes black, I suspect AMD added some reader of CRU source code and when it finds it, it criples it. So could anyone try to lower CRU signature so that AMD drivers do not find traces of CRU Utility, that way I think black screen would not appear anymore, it works fine with v17.11.0 but not with later versions of drivers.
Not true. Black screen means your monitor is not handling FreeSync correctly. You should not need to use CRU to enable FreeSync on a FreeSync monitor.
10-07-2019, 04:02 PM (Last edited: 10-07-2019, 04:03 PM by DigDeep)
(10-07-2019 12:53 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-07-2019 08:59 AM)DigDeep Wrote:  Since AMD driver version 17.11.3 Freesync Enabled through CRU doesnt work, screen goes black, I suspect AMD added some reader of CRU source code and when it finds it, it criples it. So could anyone try to lower CRU signature so that AMD drivers do not find traces of CRU Utility, that way I think black screen would not appear anymore, it works fine with v17.11.0 but not with later versions of drivers.
Not true. Black screen means your monitor is not handling FreeSync correctly. You should not need to use CRU to enable FreeSync on a FreeSync monitor.

It is true, because it works fine on v17.11.3. so if it works fine on v17 and not on v19 then AMD has done something to the drivers. Monitor is not freesync.
10-07-2019, 04:20 PM
(10-07-2019 04:02 PM)DigDeep Wrote:  It is true, because it works fine on v17.11.3. so if it works fine on v17 and not on v19 then AMD has done something to the drivers. Monitor is not freesync.
Older drivers didn't have FreeSync active on the desktop. Your monitor is blacking out because it can't handle FreeSync. Most non-FreeSync monitors can't handle FreeSync.
10-07-2019, 06:00 PM (Last edited: 10-07-2019, 06:02 PM by DigDeep)
(10-07-2019 04:20 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-07-2019 04:02 PM)DigDeep Wrote:  It is true, because it works fine on v17.11.3. so if it works fine on v17 and not on v19 then AMD has done something to the drivers. Monitor is not freesync.
Older drivers didn't have FreeSync active on the desktop. Your monitor is blacking out because it can't handle FreeSync. Most non-FreeSync monitors can't handle FreeSync.

Version 17 has Freesync. Like I said AMD disabled CRU probably in later drivers, so we cannot use freesync for free. Why is this so hard to believe?
10-07-2019, 10:28 PM
(10-07-2019 06:00 PM)DigDeep Wrote:  Version 17 has Freesync. Like I said AMD disabled CRU probably in later drivers, so we cannot use freesync for free. Why is this so hard to believe?
Because that's not how it works. Your monitor can't handle FreeSync. Why is that so hard to understand? Every symptom you've described is the monitor not being able to handle FreeSync. Older drivers didn't have FreeSync active on the *desktop*, which is separate from games. Try the G-SYNC pendulum demo to see if it's actually working: https://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

The FreeSync data block in CRU is meant for editing the HDMI FreeSync range, not for adding FreeSync to non-FreeSync monitors. A few non-FreeSync monitors can handle FreeSync, but the vast majority do not.