Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-08-2022, 07:51 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(07-08-2022 07:23 PM)NJDeac Wrote:  Hmm - I dunno what I might be doing wrong. Here's what the screen looks like after a fresh reset-all and restart of the display driver - just the CTA-861 block is listed, which has all of the resolution choices I have available: https://imgur.com/tvmn7Gg

Here's a more detailed look at the extension block, if relevant: https://imgur.com/P91bA8t

Nothing I do to add a DisplayID extension block after seems to do anything - could it be only reading resolutions from the CTA-861 block? There doesn't seem to be any way for me to go over 120hz in the CTA-861 resolutions (which I believe is intended behavior).
NVIDIA's driver has a bug regarding CTA-861 extension blocks: "NVIDIA requires at least 2 bytes left for data blocks or the driver will ignore all changes."

You will have to find something to delete to get 2 bytes back. Export a file and post it here so I can see everything in the extension block.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2022, 08:01 PM (Last edited: 07-08-2022, 08:54 PM by NJDeac)
(07-08-2022 07:51 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-08-2022 07:23 PM)NJDeac Wrote:  Hmm - I dunno what I might be doing wrong. Here's what the screen looks like after a fresh reset-all and restart of the display driver - just the CTA-861 block is listed, which has all of the resolution choices I have available: https://imgur.com/tvmn7Gg

Here's a more detailed look at the extension block, if relevant: https://imgur.com/P91bA8t

Nothing I do to add a DisplayID extension block after seems to do anything - could it be only reading resolutions from the CTA-861 block? There doesn't seem to be any way for me to go over 120hz in the CTA-861 resolutions (which I believe is intended behavior).
NVIDIA's driver has a bug regarding CTA-861 extension blocks: "NVIDIA requires at least 2 bytes left for data blocks or the driver will ignore all changes."

You will have to find something to delete to get 2 bytes back. Export a file and post it here so I can see everything in the extension block.

Ah, got it. I thought you meant the driver would ignore changes within the CTA block, but I see now you mean ANY changes you make.

Attached is a .bin export. Thanks again - I appreciate the level of free tech support (not to mention creation of the tool in the first place!).

Attached File(s)
.bin  Neo g7 default.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 196)
07-08-2022, 08:57 PM
(07-08-2022 08:01 PM)NJDeac Wrote:  Ah, got it. I thought you meant the driver would ignore changes within the CTA block, but I see now you mean ANY changes you make.

Attached is a .dat export. Thanks again - I appreciate the level of free tech support (not to mention creation of the tool in the first place!).
Is that with 165 Hz enabled? I don't see anything over 120 Hz.
07-08-2022, 09:14 PM
(07-08-2022 08:57 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-08-2022 08:01 PM)NJDeac Wrote:  Ah, got it. I thought you meant the driver would ignore changes within the CTA block, but I see now you mean ANY changes you make.

Attached is a .dat export. Thanks again - I appreciate the level of free tech support (not to mention creation of the tool in the first place!).
Is that with 165 Hz enabled? I don't see anything over 120 Hz.

That's in the 120hz setting. Nothing shows up at all in the extension block section when the monitor is switched to the 165hz mode. I've attached an export of the default settings in 165hz mode.

Attached File(s)
.bin  Neo g7 default - 165hz.bin (Size: 128 bytes / Downloads: 202)
07-08-2022, 09:51 PM
(07-08-2022 09:14 PM)NJDeac Wrote:  That's in the 120hz setting. Nothing shows up at all in the extension block section when the monitor is switched to the 165hz mode. I've attached an export of the default settings in 165hz mode.
That's with HDMI? The EDID as reported can't possibly work with HDMI, so it must be using DisplayID. I haven't seen a monitor use DisplayID with HDMI before. Try switching back to 120 Hz mode. Then edit the extension block and delete the "Extension override" data block. That will give you 3 bytes left. Then you can add a DisplayID extension block and try higher refresh rates in there. The monitor reports that it supports up to 40 Gbps, which should allow at least 1485 MHz pixel clock without DSC, but it also reports that it supports DSC, so you might be able to exceed that. I don't know what it will allow in 120 Hz mode.
07-08-2022, 09:54 PM (Last edited: 07-08-2022, 10:01 PM by Nintendo Maniac 64)
Random thought - I don't suppose AMD's unofficial freesync-over-HDMI that predates and is signal-incompatible with HDMI 2.1 has anything to do with DisplayID over HDMI?

Or alternatively the opposite considering you're use of an Nvidia GPU - maybe HDMI forum VRR uses DisplayID?

Another thing I'm wondering is the whole "Gsync compatible" certification that LG TVs have - I wonder if it's actually not straight-up plain HDMi forum VRR but is in fact a slight variation of it whereby, when available, it prefers to use DisplayID?
07-08-2022, 10:15 PM
(07-08-2022 09:54 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote:  Random thought - I don't suppose AMD's unofficial freesync-over-HDMI that predates and is signal-incompatible with HDMI 2.1 has anything to do with DisplayID over HDMI?

Or alternatively the opposite considering you're use of an Nvidia GPU - maybe HDMI forum VRR uses DisplayID?

Another thing I'm wondering is the whole "Gsync compatible" certification that LG TVs have - I wonder if it's actually not straight-up plain HDMi forum VRR but is in fact a slight variation of it whereby, when available, it prefers to use DisplayID?
DisplayID is just a replacement for EDID. It doesn't affect the video signal or how VRR is implemented. HDMI uses the CTA-861 standard, and the CTA-861 standard says to use EDID 1.3.
07-08-2022, 10:35 PM
(07-08-2022 09:51 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Try switching back to 120 Hz mode. Then edit the extension block and delete the "Extension override" data block. That will give you 3 bytes left. Then you can add a DisplayID extension block and try higher refresh rates in there.

No dice - I edited the CTA-861 as you suggested and got the 3 bytes left, but adding the DisplayID block (tried both 1.3 and 2.0) didn't do anything (closed CRU, restarted display driver, checked monitor properties, NVidia control panel, and display settings for a new entry but nothing shows up).

Attaching a screen cap with the full set of settings for the DisplayID block in case there's some user error here.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-08-2022, 10:53 PM
(07-08-2022 10:35 PM)NJDeac Wrote:  No dice - I edited the CTA-861 as you suggested and got the 3 bytes left, but adding the DisplayID block (tried both 1.3 and 2.0) didn't do anything (closed CRU, restarted display driver, checked monitor properties, NVidia control panel, and display settings for a new entry but nothing shows up).

Attaching a screen cap with the full set of settings for the DisplayID block in case there's some user error here.
You're not doing anything wrong. There's something different about the monitor and the way NVIDIA's driver handles it. Try adding 3840x2160 @ 55 Hz to see if it shows up. Just want to see if it's ignoring any change.
07-09-2022, 12:32 AM
(07-08-2022 10:53 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-08-2022 10:35 PM)NJDeac Wrote:  No dice - I edited the CTA-861 as you suggested and got the 3 bytes left, but adding the DisplayID block (tried both 1.3 and 2.0) didn't do anything (closed CRU, restarted display driver, checked monitor properties, NVidia control panel, and display settings for a new entry but nothing shows up).

You're not doing anything wrong. There's something different about the monitor and the way NVIDIA's driver handles it. Try adding 3840x2160 @ 55 Hz to see if it shows up. Just want to see if it's ignoring any change.

55 worked! I also tested various increments and everything worked up to 145. 146 and higher all failed.