Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-28-2019, 10:55 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-27-2019 05:52 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  The distinction is specific to NVIDIA's driver. The CEA-861 standard defines the timing parameters for digital TV resolutions, so NVIDIA's driver probably lists any resolutions matching the standard in the "Ultra HD, HD, SD" section. 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz with "LCD standard" matches the CEA-861 standard. There might also be TV resolutions defined in the extension block that are included in the list.

I see. That makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

(08-27-2019 05:52 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  CRU should show you what the TV defines in the EDID. 3200x1800 is probably a scaled resolution automatically added by NVIDIA's driver, but 2560x1440 @ 120 Hz should definitely be one of the detailed resolutions. There are more detailed resolutions in the extension block.

I performed a clean installation of the most recent drivers (436.15), using DDU, and went through the entire process with CRU again, first collecting the TV's EDID with the GPU connected directly to that display.

The TV itself only has two "main" detailed resolutions: 3840x2160 @ 60Hz and 1360x768 @ 60.15Hz. There are a bunch of standard resolutions (all 1080p and below) and one extra resolution in the extension block, of 2560x1440 @ 119.997Hz.

Marked down the timings of the two resolutions that I wanted and added them as an override to the Denon AVR, with the GPU connected through that device. This is what they looked like:

3840x2160 @ 60Hz
2560x1440 @ 119.997Hz

This is what the DENON-AVRHD "display" now looks like in CRU. There are no detailed resolutions and also no space left in its extension block, so I couldn't change anything there.

I have some final questions:

1. Do my settings look right to you?

2. I still haven't added the 3200x1800 @ 60Hz resolution, because I don't know what to include as its timings, would you mind helping me with that?

3. The issue that I mentioned before, where the Nvidia color settings keep reverting to RGB/8 bpc, is still happening, even after a clean installation of new drivers. It started only after using CRU, is there a setting that I can change to fix that?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2019, 05:28 PM (Last edited: 08-29-2019, 05:29 PM by ToastyX)
(08-28-2019 10:55 PM)EeK Wrote:  3840x2160 @ 60Hz
2560x1440 @ 119.997Hz

This is what the DENON-AVRHD "display" now looks like in CRU. There are no detailed resolutions and also no space left in its extension block, so I couldn't change anything there.

I have some final questions:

1. Do my settings look right to you?
That looks fine. 2560x1440 @ 119.997 Hz looks the same as what "LCD standard" would fill in. I figured maybe it would need larger horizontal blanking for some audio formats to work, but maybe not.

(08-28-2019 10:55 PM)EeK Wrote:  2. I still haven't added the 3200x1800 @ 60Hz resolution, because I don't know what to include as its timings, would you mind helping me with that?
You shouldn't need to add it if it's one of the scaled resolutions that the driver adds automatically. If you do need to add it, start with "LCD standard" and increase the horizontal blanking if some audio formats are missing.

(08-28-2019 10:55 PM)EeK Wrote:  3. The issue that I mentioned before, where the Nvidia color settings keep reverting to RGB/8 bpc, is still happening, even after a clean installation of new drivers. It started only after using CRU, is there a setting that I can change to fix that?
That has to be a driver bug. The driver is supposed to remember the color depth. CRU can only define what color depths are available (in the HDMI and HDMI 2.0 data blocks).
08-30-2019, 04:54 PM
Hello!

Got a new monitor today (Samsung LU32J590UQUXEN 32-Inch 4K Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 LED Monitor) and native resolution doesn't allow me to use 3840 x 2160. Have tried using your tool, however, it's still not showing the detailed resolution within my windows list - any ideas?

I've got my laptop plugged in via a Dell DisplayLink, which is 4K itself - so not sure that would be the issue.

Thank you!
MrSux0rs
08-30-2019, 09:21 PM
(08-30-2019 04:54 PM)MrSux0rs Wrote:  Got a new monitor today (Samsung LU32J590UQUXEN 32-Inch 4K Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 LED Monitor) and native resolution doesn't allow me to use 3840 x 2160. Have tried using your tool, however, it's still not showing the detailed resolution within my windows list - any ideas?

I've got my laptop plugged in via a Dell DisplayLink, which is 4K itself - so not sure that would be the issue.
You need HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.2 to get 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz. DisplayLink does not support EDID overrides and will not work with CRU.
09-03-2019, 04:28 PM
Hey, just thought I'd throw this out there for windows 10 users:
I had attempted to update my driver to allow 16:9, but windows reported it to be up to date. I then followed the instructions here, to seemingly no use. However, I then found that attempting to update the driver again actually started to update it, and after the update completed, windows not only showed 16:9 resolutions again, but also defaulted to my native 1920x1080.

Basically, if you find that this fails, update your driver.
09-04-2019, 01:29 PM
(08-30-2019 09:21 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-30-2019 04:54 PM)MrSux0rs Wrote:  Got a new monitor today (Samsung LU32J590UQUXEN 32-Inch 4K Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 LED Monitor) and native resolution doesn't allow me to use 3840 x 2160. Have tried using your tool, however, it's still not showing the detailed resolution within my windows list - any ideas?

You need HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.2 to get 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz. DisplayLink does not support EDID overrides and will not work with CRU.

My laptop is a Latitude 7480 - it has a USB-C, which I believe can transmit DisplayPort signals? If I get a DisplayPort > USB-C cable, would that allow me to achieve this?
09-04-2019, 02:48 PM
(09-04-2019 01:29 PM)MrSux0rs Wrote:  My laptop is a Latitude 7480 - it has a USB-C, which I believe can transmit DisplayPort signals? If I get a DisplayPort > USB-C cable, would that allow me to achieve this?
That should work.
09-04-2019, 04:00 PM
(09-04-2019 02:48 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 01:29 PM)MrSux0rs Wrote:  My laptop is a Latitude 7480 - it has a USB-C, which I believe can transmit DisplayPort signals? If I get a DisplayPort > USB-C cable, would that allow me to achieve this?
That should work.

Thank you - I'll let you know tomorrow!
09-09-2019, 02:32 AM (Last edited: 09-19-2019, 12:16 PM by pabloa2)
Acer XG270HU
First of all, thanks to the creator of this tool, I will be donating soon. This tool helped me add many more resolutions and lower thresholds for my Acer XG270HU. I added resolutions such as 2048x1152@144hz, 1920x1080@30hz and 2560x1440@60i which were not available before and this makes me happy and want to throw money at you. Anyway, the rest of this is just miscellaneous information about this monitor that people may find helpful.

Lagom.nl LCD Calibration Test Images

If you have any banding whatsoever on the greyscale banding test it probably means you are not using pure RGB mode. If I use Ycbcr of any sort there will be clearly visible banding on this image. Ycbcr 4:4:4 DOES NOT equal pure RGB. They are not the same. 4:4:4 RGB is uncompressed RGB color data. It is different from Ycbcr 4:4:4 where chroma information is subsampled and color information is stripped. The whole purpose of Ycbcr was to cut down the amount of data traveling over the display bus while trying to keep as accurate of color as possible. In other words, COMPRESSION. This was because low spec HDMI had low bandwidth. You don't want it and don't need it anymore. Computers and monitors process data in 4:4:4 RGB anyways and now with high bandwidth Display Port there is literally no reason not to use uncompressed display data.

Note: This monitor is not a wide gamut monitor but with properly calibrated rgbymc settings and tweaking contrast and saturation settings over a period of a couple days I was able to squeeze out a nice percentage of the BT2020 spectrum. It's important to remember that most monitors come with very basic calibration from the factory and it's important to calibrate the hue, saturation, brightness and contrast with test images or a professional calibrator. If you don't do this you are left with a sub-par "factory calibration" which is never perfect.

--- My Personal Settings for Acer XG270HU ---

## In Monitor Settings ##

Picture - Brightness - 50 or 75 seem to work well.
Picture - Contrast - 73
Picture - Blue Light - Off
Picture - Black Boost - 8
Picture - ACM - Off
Picture - Super Sharpness - Off

Color - Gamma - 24

Color - Color Temp. - User

Color - R Gain - 38
Color - G Gain - 38
Color - B Gain - 38
Color - R Bias - 38
Color - G Bias - 38
Color - B Bias - 38

Color - sRGB Mode - Off

Color - 6-axis Red Hue - 50
Color - 6-axis Green Hue - 50
Color - 6-axis Blue Hue - 50
Color - 6-axis Yellow Hue - 50
Color - 6-axis Magenta Hue - 50
Color - 6-axis Cyan Hue - 50

Color - 6-axis Red Saturate - 33
Color - 6-axis Green Saturate - 33
Color - 6-axis Blue Saturate - 33
Color - 6-axis Yellow Saturate - 33
Color - 6-axis Magenta Saturate - 33
Color - 6-axis Cyan Saturate - 33

Gaming - Over Drive - This is personal preference. Normal gives you about 5 ms input lag time and is the default for gamers but introduces a very small amount of ghosting. Extreme tries to cut that time down even more and exhibits more severe ghosting. Off gives you more input lag and less ghosting.

System - DP Format - DP12
System - HDMI Black Level - Normal

## In Operating System Settings ##

Try to keep all color levels at default and keep range at full (0-255). These settings are for pure RGB.

----------------------

This will take away most of the harshness of the screen while providing a very large gamut. This screen still has it's flaws, as it's meant primarily to provide very low lag, high fps gaming, but when properly calibrated it makes it a much more pleasant experience.

----------------------

Things I learned about this monitor:

I figured out why the screen seems so harsh at most settings. I figured out through trial and error that there are a couple brightness settings that have no moire whatsoever. Remember this is a tightly packed screen with a matte finish so I knew moire might be a problem. With that said 50 and 75 seem to have no moire whatsoever that I can notice and actually look very good for dark black text and lines with a soft but not overly fuzzy look and proper black tone. That means there is something funny going on with the configuration of the led backlight pixels themselves and how the led backlight brightness is controlled from the monitor settings. I'm glad I figured this quirk of the monitor out because I was going to put a strike on Acer for this one. I don't think it is their fault really, it is probably just a flaw of the actual design of the led backlight itself and the matte finish that seem to produce eye strain inducing moire at most brightness settings above 50.

All hue, saturation, bias and gain settings must be tied together or else it will produce irrevocable color saturation problems.

Black Boost above 8 creates eye strain.

These exact numbers create a very nice image. If I deviate at all from these settings it does not look right. Don't ask why, I don't know either. I'm just happy I stumbled across these settings.

EDIT 9-16-19: Final Settings Edit 2 - These settings are as good as it's going to get, I'm convinced. It actually has a very nice picture with these settings, dare I say it. Who knows why these particular numbers work, but they do.
09-09-2019, 06:18 PM (Last edited: 09-09-2019, 10:39 PM by sureshoe)
Thanks in advance for all the work - I want to make sure I'm using this tool correctly and see if you have thoughts on an issue I'm having.

I have a Samsung UJ59 31.5" monitor and AMD Radeon RX 580. FreeSync enabled on both. 3840x2160 is the current resolution. DisplayPort.

I have this monitor behind a bezel, and I want to squeeze it vertically by 100 pixels (using it to play MAME + other emulators). Using CRU, I was able to get it to display at 3840x2060

On first try, the screen kept resetting and it wouldn't work at all. I turned on GPU Scaling and that seemed to resolve it after a reset/retry.

EDIT > I reset and retested. I rebooted, powered down after the reset. I then used CRU to add 3840x2060 as the resolution. I rebooted the whole machine. I then set in Display Settings 3840x2060 the resolution. It worked. Apps that changed resolution (like MAME) worked.

I rebooted, the settings stayed. I then logged back into my account and let the computer sit. When the monitor slept, I checked the system - it reverted back to 3840x2160. Any ideas?

One other note is that in AMD's Display settings, it won't let me save any Custom Resolution at all - even clicking "new" and using all defaults with 3840x2160 - it says it's not supported. Not getting any help from AMD on this either, so turning to a utility.